When did Mobil 1 stop being a true synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a false advertising lawsuit a while back over one of the major oil companies selling group III oil as synthetic and the oil company won. Ever since, all the companies started labeling oil containing group III based oil as synthetic.

Frankly, it's nothing to worry about in my opinion.

There was no litigation but instead, it was a BBB matter.

It all came (comes) down to how you define synthetic. If you construe it to mean to be fully derived of non-natural material then Mobil loses but if you interpret it to mean synthesize, then Mobil prevails.

At the time Mobil's stance was viewed with disfavor, however, times have really changed because all manufacturers now call blended oils 100% synthetic.

Reactions: hrv
Depends which, Mobil1 EP and Annual used to be mostly PAO and only a year or two change was made.

There was no litigation but instead, it was a BBB matter.

It all came (comes) down to how you define synthetic. If you construe it to mean to be fully derived of non-natural material then Mobil loses but if you interpret it to mean synthesize, then Mobil prevails.

At the time Mobil's stance was viewed with disfavor, however, times have really changed because all manufacturers now call blended oils 100% synthetic.

What is a "non-natural material"? I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure everything that's on this earth has ingredients in it that came from this earth.

I suppose the oil could be made from vegetables instead of dinosaurs. Would that be called synthetic? Or maybe they're sucking elements right out of the air to create their oil out of. Is this how they do it?

What is a "non-natural material"? I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure everything that's on this earth has ingredients in it that came from this earth.

I suppose the oil could be made from vegetables instead of dinosaurs. Would that be called synthetic? Or maybe they're sucking elements right out of the air to create their oil out of. Is this how they do it?
The “synthetic” part is rearranging the molecules in the oil, making them more uniform, by hydrotreating them. Castrol got Group III approved as a full synthetic, when before it was Group IV or V only-now only Germany (AFAIK) retains the original definition.

is this one of those threads that implies the inferiority of petroleum as a lubricant or a just a shot against Mobil1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back