Mobil 1 0w40 in a stock 3.6 pentastar?

Been “lurking” on this forum for a while but decided to create an account to ask this question. Has anyone used Mobil 1 fs 0w40 in and gen 1 3.6l pentastar? I know it’s a relatively thin 40 grade oil but would it be too thick for this engine to safely run? The engine specs both 5w20 and 5w30. The reason I’m asking is I have received a bunch from someone who used it in a car that they just sold, now have enough for the next few years 😂😂 I saw 1 uoa of the engine and oil combo, and from what I know it looked good, but just asking if anyone else has any input of this. If it would be a horribly bad idea to use the oil I have another vehicle I’ll use it in. Thanks

Been “lurking” on this forum for a while but decided to create an account to ask this question. Has anyone used Mobil 1 fs 0w40 in and gen 1 3.6l pentastar? I know it’s a relatively thin 40 grade oil but would it be too thick for this engine to safely run? The engine specs both 5w20 and 5w30. The reason I’m asking is I have received a bunch from someone who used it in a car that they just sold, now have enough for the next few years 😂😂 I saw 1 uoa of the engine and oil combo, and from what I know it looked good, but just asking if anyone else has any input of this. If it would be a horribly bad idea to use the oil I have another vehicle I’ll use it in. Thanks
No. No grade is going to be too thick to be safe. Too thin yes, but not too thick.

I've been running ESP 0W30 or 5W30 in a 3.6L 2016 Pentastar Wrangler w/o issue for a few years now. A 0W40 or 5W40 oil would not be a problem.

I run 0W-40 in a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with the 2.7 engine, a 2010 ford Focus , a 2015 ford F150 with the 2.7 engine and a 2018 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine. The F150 ran Quaker State 5W-40 until the M1 0W-40m became an SP rated oul.

I just switched my 2013 Wrangler to the Mobil1 0w-40 Euro. I have been having issues with the P0344 code throwing and the Traction control light coming on when pushing hard up a grade or passing at 75mph+ occasionally. I had this early on when traveling through the Mountains of NC when I had around 50K on the odo. I switched then from 5w-20 to 5w-30 and never saw it again. well the last few oil changes have been with 5w-20 as I've had it changed @ Valvoline due to a temp move and no garage. Well low and behold this is occuring again (Now @ 188K) I changed the Cam Position Sensor as well, and problem still popped up. So I found a spot and did my own change this time with this oil. All I can say is its been about 1k miles and this problem has not resurfaced. And the engine sounds amazingly quiet. I'm sticking with this for the next few changes and will see what happens.

I know it's not the same engine, but I've been using the M1 European 0W40 in a Chrysler 3.8 V6 in an 08 T&C and it's never sounded quieter or smoother and it hasn't used a drop of it so far. I'm really happy with it, because 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 it drinks that stuff driving around town. Occasionally, usually right after startup or coming to a stop after pulling a hill I'd smell a bit of an oil burning smell even though there's never any smoke out the tailpipe, that smell has completely gone away as well with the M1 0W40.

Not M1 but my friend has been running Supertech 5W40 in his RAM 3,6L for 3 years now. Sounds smooth and quiet, and hasn't blown up yet.
(I know this is purely subjectiv)

I just switched my 2013 Wrangler to the Mobil1 0w-40 Euro. I have been having issues with the P0344 code throwing and the Traction control light coming on when pushing hard up a grade or passing at 75mph+ occasionally. I had this early on when traveling through the Mountains of NC when I had around 50K on the odo. I switched then from 5w-20 to 5w-30 and never saw it again. well the last few oil changes have been with 5w-20 as I've had it changed @ Valvoline due to a temp move and no garage. Well lo and behold this is occuring again (Now @ 188K) I changed the Cam Position Sensor as well, and problem still popped up. So I found a spot and did my own change this time with this oil. All I can say is it’s been about 1k miles and this problem has not resurfaced. And the engine sounds amazingly quiet. I'm sticking with this for the next few changes and will see what happens.
To be clear - you were getting a CEL that 0W40 oil got rid of?

To be clear - you were getting a CEL that 0W40 oil got rid of?
it seemed to until I either had a HG Failure or a crack in the head about 1k miles later. the engine had 189K on it. I decided to replace it with a reman'd engine that has a 3 year 100k warranty because it was more cost effective in the long run. Just got her back yesterday and have to change out after 500 miles. Not sure what i'll put back in it after i drain the initial fill. I may just use the 0w-30 Mobil1 Euro Car that im using in the Audi.

Reactions: 4WD
Back