2 stroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys..

my stash of 2 stroke oil is getting a little bit low.. I have been running the echo 2 stroke oil.. but i have been thinking of switching to either royal purple or amsoil?

or should i try motul 2 stroke oil?

Has anyone ran royal purple or amsoil in their blower or trimmer? any issues?

thanks.

Last edited:
I've been running cheap pro-mix from lowes commercially for years.

I've tried them all. I don't see a reason to run the high end synthetics unless you are going to experiment running 90:1 or 100:1 which some people do.

Husqvarna semi-syn is pretty cool for pretty cheap. It's blue and I rather like the color blue.

My 2c.

I have been running Amsoil Saber Professional mixed 80:1 in my string trimmer, handheld blower, and small rototiller with zero problems thus far. Use with confidence.

I'm old fashioned and lazy to boot. I mix an oily 32;1 and run it in all my 2 strokes. I do get smoke but I've never had any carbon troubles. Currently working on a qt of Valvoline universal dino mix oil. Previously, it was True Value store brand. I add a teaspoon of MMO to the tanks when I fill them. The specs for oil are better than ever. But engines still need lubrication. I'm quite willing to sacrifice some performance for reliability and longevity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sky06
hey guys..

my stash of 2 stroke oil is getting a little bit low.. I have been running the echo 2 stroke oil.. but i have been thinking of switching to either royal purple or amsoil?

thanks.

I ran "Royal Purple" 2C in my Toro R-Tek 2 Cycle snowblower and a Kawi 2 cycle trimmer. Both seemed to work fine. I've since switched to running Kawasaski branded semi-synthetic that is JASO-FD in both pieces. I think Royal Purple is fine for what you want. If you run the [censored] out of those engines, then it may be worth. I may mix a 2 gallons in a whole year, so I dont like storing the open bottle for a # of years since i'm not running that much per year -make sense?

If i went back to full synthetic I would run Klotz Techniplate Snowmobile, its JASO-FD and TCW3 rated. Royal Purple 2 stroke oil has no certifications...

Other products will work, but I've also used AMSOIL Saber Professional in every piece of 2-cycle equipment I've owned for the past 20+ years.

Currently have Echo equipment, but before that I ran it in Lawn Boy 2-cycle mowers and inexpensive trimmers and blowers in what amounted to as commercial use. Engines seem to make more power and essentially no smoke. Never had a failure. Tore blower engine down when carb was giving me issues after about 8 years of use and it was clean and showed no visual signs of wear, scuffing, etc.

AMSOIL two cycle has been around for a long time...I believe the 100:1 pre-mix was the second product introduced by AMSOIL. I don't recommend you do this, but when AMSOIL developed this oil, I seem to recall reading that it was tested at ratio's up to 200:1.

Great stuff.

Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
Originally Posted By: sky06
hey guys..

thanks.

I ran "Royal Purple" 2C in my Toro R-Tek 2 Cycle snowblower and a Kawi 2 cycle trimmer. Both seemed to work fine. I've since switched to running Kawasaski branded semi-synthetic that is JASO-FD in both pieces. I think Royal Purple is fine for what you want. If you run the [censored] out of those engines, then it may be worth. I may mix a 2 gallons in a whole year, so I dont like storing the open bottle for a # of years since i'm not running that much per year -make sense?

If i went back to full synthetic I would run Klotz Techniplate Snowmobile, its JASO-FD and TCW3 rated. Royal Purple 2 stroke oil has no certifications...

Also, this was mixing 50:1 which is each engine manufacture (Briggs and Kawasaki) recommend in each piece. I realize you could probably get a away with stretching ratios much higher with synthetic, but why risk it?

I use Stihls ultra synthetic in my OPE. I have 2 Stihls and a Toro snow blower with the R-Tek. They seem to love it.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

Husqvarna semi-syn is pretty cool for pretty cheap. It's blue and I rather like the color blue.

My 2c.

...and it's not much more than the Pro-Mix brand. Though Pro Mix also claims to be semi-synthetic. Is one better than the other
21.gif

Whimsey

sorry to bring this topic up..

I have a bottle of mogul 800 and a bottle of the amsoil dominator oil..

has anyone used this in their echo's, stihl?

Originally Posted By: andyd
I'm old fashioned and lazy to boot. I mix an oily 32;1 and run it in all my 2 strokes. I do get smoke but I've never had any carbon troubles. Currently working on a qt of Valvoline universal dino mix oil. Previously, it was True Value store brand. I add a teaspoon of MMO to the tanks when I fill them. The specs for oil are better than ever. But engines still need lubrication. I'm quite willing to sacrifice some performance for reliability and longevity.

You, my friend, are on the right track.

Mixing any half decent conventional oil at 32:1 will be better for the engine than "Ultra Duty, Secret Formula, Super Synthetic Semi Royal Darkish Blue almost Purple oil" mixed at ratios that the engine will not appreciate.

Can't believe how many times this subject comes up and the number of claims that a particular brand/blend has provided superior protection. No science, no extended trials/comparisons. Just eating what the advertisers of excessively expensive lubricants say and following the crowd.

Two stroke engines are marvels of engineering. However, they aren't so discriminating in their taste of oil to demand a lubricant that costs ridiculous amounts of money.

I've owned many, many two cycle engines for close to forty years. I've got Lawn Boy mowers probably older than most of the participants on this forum still running strong. Never seen a drop of synthetic oil in them. My secret? No secret. Mix any decent off the shelf conventional two cycle oil anywhere between 32:1 to 40:1. Go to work and don't put anymore thought into it. It's that simple.

Regarding sacrificing performance by mixing at 32:1. Believe it or not, years ago, the preferred ratio for two stroke racing motorcycles was 32:1. It was the best mix for reliability and power and a great deal of the oil used for many decades was conventional oil.

If an air cooled two stroke engine could take being mercilessly flogged at 10000 plus rpms for an entire race using conventional oil at 32:1 and not blow up, I'm fairly confident that my trimmer, chainsaw, whatever, will be more than well lubricated using the same formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back