Two Stroke How To

I put in a 6.4 ounce bottle of STIHL Ultra with 2.5 gallons of the highest octane gasoline I can find.

I find a gas station that lets me prepay the whole amount so that the pump shuts off at exactly 2.5 gallons.

So if it's $4.799 per gallon, I multiply 4.8 by 2.5. and go in there and say I want $12 on pump #2.

For gas bottles I go with No-Spill and add in a vent kit.

Last edited:
some higher compression 2 smokes recommend higher octane non ethanol + beware some canned " non ethanol" fuels CHEAT as tested by chickanic.com a small engine repair pro
Because of her videos I have started mixing my own. I was using trufuel for the last 10 years.
I went and bought a 1 gallon metal fuel can by just right ( stupid expensive ) and 6 quarts of echo red armor 2 stroke oil. I have it mixed at 50:1 with non ethanol gas currently cause all my 2 stroke equipment is brand new echo. I'm torn though with the mixture because I want to run it at the best for the engine but the manufacturer says 50:1 and I'm not sure if that will cause issues.

I put in a 6.4 ounce bottle of STIHL Ultra with 2.5 gallons of the highest octane gasoline I can find.

I find a gas station that lets me prepay the whole amount so that the pump shuts off at exactly 2.5 gallons.

So if it's $4.799 per gallon, I multiply 4.8 by 2.5. and go in there and say I want $12 on pump #2.

For gas bottles I go with No-Spill and add in a vent kit.
I'd agree with the no spill can. I linked one earlier

But Stihl oil isn't Jaso fd so why pay extra for inferior oil.

I want to start mixing my own 2 stroke gas but want to ask how you all do it?

What container to store it in, what pump gas, and what oil, and how much oil?

I have some lawn and garden tools like an Echo blower, Stihl 2 stroke weed eater, an old hand-held home lite blower, a small Echo chainsaw…

These were my father’s tools, so I have no manuals. Do they all take the same gas or can they?
The Echo and Stihl equipment specify a 50 : 1 mixture while some of the older Homelite stuff call for 32:1 ratio. With the advent of newer full synthetic oils that meet the current JASO FD standard, you safely can go with 40:1 in all your gear. I prefer to use the VP oil easily available at WalMart and 91+ octane ethanol free gas. I add 3 oz. to each gallon of gas which yields ~43:1 ratio. I use a 2 gallon metal Eagle Safety can that is spray painted green and clearly labeled as 43:1 gas/oil mix for 2 cycle OPE. You can buy a green can online, but it is ridiculously expensive.
1691499703367.png

Last edited:
I use an old clear glass liquor bottle. I calibrated it with two marks near the neck. I fill gasoline up to the first mark, and oil to the second mark.

The advantages are:
- Perfect mix
- I don't need to mix a whole gallon (not that big a user)
- The bottle serves as storage and keeps the fuel from going stale
- I can readily see how much fuel I have left

I use 32:1 for all my equipment, regardless of what is recommended.
Also, I made a nice label for the bottle.

I'd agree with the no spill can. I linked one earlier

But Stihl oil isn't Jaso fd so why pay extra for inferior oil.
It says it "Meets JASO FB" right above the mixing directions. If you use the magnifier in THIS LINK you will see that it does in fact meet JASO FB. Scroll over the back of the bottle with your cursor to use the magnifier.

Last edited:
It says it "Meets JASO FB" right above the mixing directions. If you use the magnifier in THIS LINK you will see that it does in fact meet JASO FB. Scroll over the back of the bottle with your cursor to use the magnifier.

Yes that was my point.

Perhaps you should consider visiting this link to understand the difference between JASO FB and JASO FD.
but here is a quicky
image_2023-08-08_191617760.png

Last edited:
:sneaky:😆
Yes that was my point.

Perhaps you should consider visiting this link to understand the difference between JASO FB and JASO FD.
but here is a quicky
View attachment 171633
I don't have any complaints about the stuff. It burns super clean and doesn't make me gag like Echo's regular oil.

Where do I find a full synthetic JASO FD oil?

I don't have any complaints about the stuff. It burns super clean and doesn't make me gag like Echo's regular oil.

Well if it truely burned "super clean" it would be JASO FD?
I linked a popular option in post 13.. VP racing at walmart.
Dont know if it would make you gag. My nose is always half clogged from allergies.
Echo Red Armor is my favorite :)

This is what I use.

Your local dirt bike shop will have many options to choose from.

I am using Klotz synthetic in my 2 smoke OPE. If it's good enough for my last 2 smoke snowmobile w/530cc twin it's more than enough for little OPE motors. Nice smell also.

For the
I want to start mixing my own 2 stroke gas but want to ask how you all do it?

What container to store it in, what pump gas, and what oil, and how much oil?

I have some lawn and garden tools like an Echo blower, Stihl 2 stroke weed eater, an old hand-held home lite blower, a small Echo chainsaw…

These were my father’s tools, so I have no manuals. Do they all take the same gas or can they?
For the gas can, I recommend this one:

No-Spill 1.25 Gal Plastic Gasoline Can - 1415
https://www.walmart.com/ip/38473987

Better than the terrible Sceptre nozzles, holds up well, I have one that is 9 years old.

Make sure you mark it clearly so that anyone knows it is mixed with oil.

I use Stihl equipment and use the Stihl pre-measured oil small bottles that are for 1 gallon of fuel.

I use no-ethanol gas and treat with Pri-G or Stabil per the label directions. No issues with the fuel even after 12 months or more stored mixed with oil and fuel stabilizer.

Everything I own is 2 stroke. I mow rotating my three antique Lawn-Boys, along with my two trimmers, leaf blower, and Echo saw. I usually mix my fuel at 40:1 using either Echo Red Armor or Amsoil Saber. But this last batch I mixed it 35:1 using Husqvarna XP+ oil. I’ve heard good things about the Husky oil from a guy who builds/repairs saws. He said 50:1 was ok, but it looks even better when mixed a little richer. A little puff of smoke at startup and it burns nice a clean so far. When I feel ambitious, I’ll pull the carb off my Bricktop and check the bottom end to see how much oil is coating the internals. But I always use 90 octane ethanol free rec fuel. I’m lucky enough to have at least 6 gas stations within about 25-30 minutes that sell it. The closest one being about 2-1/2 miles up the road from me.

L8R,
Matt

My small chainsaw is the only OPE that needs 2-cycle, so I don't need much mixed fuel at any given time.
I use an old TruFuel 32 ounce can (.65 ounce 2cycle oil). This smaller can allows easy measuring to 50:1 without a lot leftover. Well more like 45ish to 1 🤷‍♂️.
Small amounts of leftover 2cycle goes into the lawnmower(s) anyway.

I use the cans of Tru-Fuel-then mix FD rated (either Stihl or Citgo Sea & snow) with E0 91 octane (or higher) right back in the Tru-Fuel can! Seals a lot better than a gas can!

32:1 is what I run in every 2 stroke, I mix it a quart at a time and keep it in a Tru-Fuel. 87 E 10 and Valvoline universal oil. I dump the fuel on the Mantis after every use. Husqa weed wacker when stored.

32:1 ratio? Who recommends that now? Both Stihl and Echo recommend 50:1. Or do you guys enjoy changing the arrestor screens and carboned up spark plugs?

Same goes for E10 boogeyman. I've been using e10 in all of my OPE and never had an issue. I just recently changed the original fuel lines and the bulb on my 2011 Echo trimmer. The lines were a bit stiff, but that's normal due to age. The primer bulb was just discolored, but everything worked fine.

Another thing with two strokes, run them open throttle as much as you can. They hate part throttle operation and will carbon up, affecting performance.

32:1 ratio? Who recommends that now? Both Stihl and Echo recommend 50:1. Or do you guys enjoy changing the arrestor screens and carboned up spark plugs?

Same goes for E10 boogeyman. I've been using e10 in all of my OPE and never had an issue. I just recently changed the original fuel lines and the bulb on my 2011 Echo trimmer. The lines were a bit stiff, but that's normal due to age. The primer bulb was just discolored, but everything worked fine.

Another thing with two strokes, run them open throttle as much as you can. They hate part throttle operation and will carbon up, affecting performance.
You're talking my language.

Back