Looking for lawn edger

I have been thinking of acquiring a gas or 2 stroke lawn edger for a while now. I've been leaning towards the Echo brand PE-225 model but open to other ideas or advice. I'm trying to stay under the $300 range as well. Please let me know your thoughts on this one or a different edger or a used one or battery powered if they actually work well.
Thanks in advance.

I just bought an echo pas 2620. It has a lot of power. Edgers need a lot of power. This power head is also compatible with all the pas accessories.
I'm ordering the edger for it this week.
It's a bit more, but it's commercial grade quality.

I found a used McClane edger on CL about 5 years ago for $90. It has an adjustable head that adjusts between vertical to horizontal for ( in the horizontal configuration it can be used as a brush trimmer ) a nice looking bevel cut if desired and 2 wheels up front. I see them for sale often on CL.
They start at around $500 new and are built much better than what HD or Lowe’s offers. Built like a tank and runs great. I much prefer a dedicated tool over one that does multiple jobs…but does none of them very well.

Last edited:
I'm partial to my Ariens walk behind edger with a Subaru single cylinder engine. The Subaru single cylinder engines are not made anymore and neither is the edger, but I think they're pretty top quality. McLane is the only other brand I would consider in the walk behind category.

I have the curved shaft Echo edger (maybe PE 225?) with the 21cc engine. It's adequate. The good thing is that it is nice and light. Frequent use keeps the grass at manageable levels. Note, the 21cc engine, has half the power of the 26cc engine, or more accurately, that's how it seems. I have a the 26cc PAS system for other tools, and it ROCKS.

pe-225_106664_1000.jpeg

The PE-225 might work well or it might not. I guess it depends on the lawn itself. If price is a major factor you can probably get a walk behind for about $250. I thought about it but I really don't want a big old edger in my garage taking up space. I was in home Depot a few weeks ago and overhead a customer trying to see what he could do about his edger. Apparent he had bought the pe225 and he managed to break the guard on it. I think it's plastic. They told him to contact echo and that's the best they could do.i opted for the PE2620S as I wanted to make sure it had enough power to get my edge easily done and it does but it costs $500. It's got a metal guard though.

How much edging will you do each week? If only a standard lot in a suburb, there is no reason to get a gas edger. This is my current situation and i use a Ryobi 18V edger; it is not particularly powerful but gets the job done in about 10 min. However if you have a large lawn with sidewalks, patio, and/or long driveway, more power may be a better choice. I would look at 40V options before gas, especially if you have other 40V tools that could share batteries.

The PE-225 might work well or it might not. I guess it depends on the lawn itself. If price is a major factor you can probably get a walk behind for about $250. I thought about it but I really don't want a big old edger in my garage taking up space. I was in home Depot a few weeks ago and overhead a customer trying to see what he could do about his edger. Apparent he had bought the pe225 and he managed to break the guard on it. I think it's plastic. They told him to contact echo and that's the best they could do.i opted for the PE2620S as I wanted to make sure it had enough power to get my edge easily done and it does but it costs $500. It's got a metal guard though.
For those who have the funds, the 26cc Echo PAS system is downright epic. Gobs of power, and a wide range of attachments. Also, I believe the 26cc engine is still made with the epic Echo engine quality we've all come to know.

For those who have the funds, the 26cc Echo PAS system is downright epic. Gobs of power, and a wide range of attachments. Also, I believe the 26cc engine is still made with the epic Echo engine quality we've all come to know.
I found a straight stick commercial Husqvarna edger on Facebook marketplace for 20 bucks that looked like it had rarely been run. Bought it, fueled it, ran first pull. Literally. I use that on curves mostly and use my Ariens on the bigger straightaways. Truth is I only need the handheld but I like having both. I'm not a huge fan of Husqvarna equipment in general, but this seems to do okay for the price. I tend to do a lot of my neighbors sidewalks and driveways too, mostly cuz I've got the time and good relationships there. Makes the neighborhood look good too.

Last edited:
The Stihl FC-56 is a good edger, priced right at $300 at present. We tried a DeWalt electric edger, but its run time was not up to snuff (less than 20 mins), so we promptly returned it and bought the Stihl gas edger instead.

I have a ~10 y/o Troy Built walk behind with a 158cc B&S engine. It does the job fine, and I used it more often soon after purchase to justify buying it, but in recent years I hardly ever use it because I feel like concrete is the way nature intended to stop grass from growing much further. :)

It just seems silly to me to make a hard edge on the grass then when you try to blow grass clipping or leaves, etc off the concrete, the hard edge to the edged lawn, just creates a pileup of debris that you then have to clear away too, more so than if you hadn't edged. Granted this isn't a new neighborhood so over the years, the concrete (which has survived surprisingly well over time) has settled/sunken so a mowed lawn sticks up that much higher than the concrete.

Plus I'm annoyed weekly when an elderly neighbor feels the compulsion to use his edger, even when there's barely anything to edge (he is just bored, his lawn does not grow that fast) so 1/2 hour of hearing metal clang against concrete because he can't steer it straight. lol, it's senseless. I should just sell mine.

I am a home owner with a corner lot.I had a Stihl FC-56 which worked really well.I also had the blower attachment. I sold both and I will explain why.I am heavily invested in the Makita 18v. system.I got thinking about mixing and keeping fresh gas and the starting issues.How often I even use the edger.So I bought the Makita that uses two 18v ,5 amp batteries. It works really well,my first concern?I thought it wouldn't have enough power or last long.It exceded my expectations. The battery technology is only getting better and it is the future.If I was you,I'd step back and carefully analyze your situation, and where you want to spend your hard earned money.If your already in a system or thinking, research it.Thats what I did,and it worked well for me.I'm just saying

Can you use a string trimmer turned up on its edge? If you mow weekly that’s all you should need. That’s all I ever did and that’s what my lawn care company does.

^ But don't you also mean, if you edge (nearly) weekly? It also depends on the soil height relative to the concrete height.

In some soil it can depend on the performance of the string trimmer, but in my clay rich soil, using a commercial string trimmer that runs like a scalded dog, it's not penetrating the ground much at all, just uses up a spool of trimmer line in nothing flat to get not much done.

* I may not be trying hard enough... I don't want to edge. It's not the labor (well it's that too) but rather the senselessness of it* :) Different types of lawn grasses might have different needs, as well as the land owner caring how perfectly it's edged. When I mow over an edge area, if the grass is too tall, it gets sucked up and cut off and I don't care if the short remainder leans towards the pavement. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
I have the curved shaft Echo edger (maybe PE 225?) with the 21cc engine. It's adequate. The good thing is that it is nice and light. Frequent use keeps the grass at manageable levels. Note, the 21cc engine, has half the power of the 26cc engine, or more accurately, that's how it seems. I have a the 26cc PAS system for other tools, and it ROCKS.

pe-225_106664_1000.jpeg
This +1

The PAS system is great, and allows you to have a variety of attachments but only one power head to maintain. I have a similar system but with a Toro power head. Stihl and Husqvarna sell similar systems, but if I didn't get my Toro for free I'd be investing in the Echo PAS.

My son bought me a Craftsman 4 stroke weed wacker, where the lower half can be swiveled to whatever angle you want. Works perfect for edging. Beside it being heavy, I would never think of buying a dedicated edger. It's just more stuff to take up space.,,

20230520_200945.jpg

Maruyama M30QC combi system edger attachment. I've had all the major brands of stick equipment and Maruyama is the best I've ever used. I have a lot of driveway and sidewalk edging and I can almost run and edge at the same time.

Back