2 cycle oil type

mez

What's everyone thoughts of using Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle Marine oil instead of 2-Stroke Oil Synthetic Blend for a new Poulan Pro blowers i got for xmas? I bought a few gallons of the marine 2 cycle oil that was on clearance a while back and would like to use it up? Any harm?

Marine oil is formulated for a water cooled engines which won't run near as hot as an air cooled engine. I like to save a buck more than most people but I wouldn't take the risk-especially with brand new equipment.

The risk is that marine 2 stroke oil is intended for 2 stroke motors that are water cooled and therefore run cooler. Air cooled 2 strokers such as your new blower are supposed to run oil specifically formulated for that.

IMO, you should use Poulan's oil till the warranty period ends then switch to the proper air cooled 2 stroke oil. Save the marine blend for your outboard boat motor.

It's perfectly fine to use. But it's going to take you about a hundred years to use a few gallons.

I only use one oil for my outboard, leaf blower and chain saw. TC-W3. 40 years this way without problems.

My old Weedeater motor went bad . Not sure if it was directly related to the use of TCW3. So now I don't take chances. I'm running TC in my new Huskvarna trimmer.

I don't think it would hurt anything, but like others have said the Marine stuff is meant for water cooled engines, and today's modern 2-stroke stuff runs pretty hot to meet emissions. Probably wouldn't harm anything but not worth finding out, it's not like the correct stuff is expensive.

I don't think it would hurt anything, but like others have said the Marine stuff is meant for water cooled engines, and today's modern 2-stroke stuff runs pretty hot to meet emissions. Probably wouldn't harm anything but not worth finding out, it's not like the correct stuff is expensive.
But, he doesn't have a boat and has two gallons of it. Maybe he can donate it.

The general rule is to use 32 to 1 in OPE. Especially so if using TCW-3 in lawn equipment.

It may be comforting to note that 125cc motocross bikes and karts that use these dirt bike derived engines, have used TCW-3 for years with good results. Including the air cooled Kart engines. They simply use a LOT of oil to ensure adequate protection.

Many years ago I had a Suzuki dirt bike with oil injection . The guy I bought it from had run Quaker State outboard motor oil in it . I continued to use it and ran the snot out of it with zero issues .

Back