Don't use pre-measured 2-cycle oil bottles unless you filled them...

I use Stihl in the silver bottle and mix at 40:1. I’ve used this for several years now. This recipe has served me well. My chainsaw, blower and string trimmer smoke a little more if I idle the engine for a little bit but cleans right up after a couple throttle blasts.

Just my $0.02

I use Stihl in the silver bottle and mix at 40:1. I’ve used this for several years now. This recipe has served me well. My chainsaw, blower and string trimmer smoke a little more if I idle the engine for a little bit but cleans right up after a couple throttle blasts.

Just my $0.02
Stihl seems to be able to put the amount listed on the bottle in the bottle most of the time.

About 9 oz per 2.2 gallons of fuel, what does it make me? With VP oil measuring bottle has marks 3.2oz+3.2oz+2.6oz. My fuel canister is 2 gallon but I usually put a little extra in there sometimes 2.2 gallons sometimes 2.3. That's my ratio mix and my tools have been happy so far.

About 9 oz per 2.2 gallons of fuel, what does it make me? With VP oil measuring bottle has marks 3.2oz+3.2oz+2.6oz. My fuel canister is 2 gallon but I usually put a little extra in there sometimes 2.2 gallons sometimes 2.3. That's my ratio mix and my tools have been happy so far.
You are running a slightly rich mixture of ~31.3 to 1 ratio. Safer for your OPE than a lean mixture, but may leave a bit more deposits/residue than a 40 or 50 to 1 mixture.

I use premix as the gas is E0 which is difficult but not impossible to get in Delaware. As this point it's only a leaf vaccum. Blower and string trimmer are CB cordless

I don't go through a lot of 2 cycle fuel so a one gallon can will last a while . I use the small bottle of oil and always a good name brand . I tried a generic brand one day and the results were obvious .

I use the 6.4 ounce Husqvarna JASO FD oil bottle with 89 octane E0 fuel. The last of the batch mixed last December went into the leaf blower and 2-cycle snow blower over the weekend. Both are running fine. I'll mix another 2.5 gallons once the chainsaw or leaf blower run out of fuel or if there is snow in the forecast. I ran the Stihl oil for a number of years since I have Stihl equipment, but that oil doesn't have the JASO FD rating.

Had this happen to me before more than once, a bottle of red armor didn't have enough oil and made my weed eater stall.
But the first time it happened it was my fault I accidentally used enough oil to make 2 gallons problem was I was using a 2.5 gallon tank, didn't realize it was a 2.5 gallon tank not my gas can and I didn't fill it and my buddy told me it was 2 gallons.... Very dumb I should have looked.
Few years later I dumped in a bottle of "1 gallon oil mix" into my usual 1 gallon gas can, filled up my ran dry weed eater and when I started it, my faithful weed eater didn't want to stay running. Knew I had seen this before.
So I opened my last "1 gallon mix bottle" and just dumped a little more oil straight into the weed eater, ran great. Dumped the rest of that gallon of 2 stroke gas into my truck and started measuring the 2 stroke my self from then on.
That was last bottle of 2 stroke mix from that pack, so I didn't have more to measure and my next purchase was a refillable squeeze bottle of red armor.
According to the video it looks like pre-measured bottles sometimes come up 4 to 10cc short maybe more in my case.

I still use pre-measured bottles occasionally, I use ones that are somewhat translucent to light and that I filled. I mark where the oil should be with a sharpie so I can check it before I dump it. As these pre-measured "1 gallon mix bottles" stay in my saw box and get knocked around and may leak a few drops over time since they aren't factory sealed anymore. Plus I run 40:1 in the saws and I can't buy pre-measured red armor in 40:1 for mixing up 1 gallon of gasoline at a time.

What the amsoil lacks in actual product volume may be intentional since they claim leaner mixes work fine. Whatever they may lack in product volume they more than make up for with hiberus.

Never heard of an engine that won’t run because of not enough oil in the gas??? It should run like a scalded dog!!! It will just be a very short lived run followed by disaster.
I’ve ran anywhere from 32:1 to 60:1 without ever seeing it affect performance very much.

Back