Don't use pre-measured 2-cycle oil bottles unless you filled them...

Had this happen to me before more than once, a bottle of red armor didn't have enough oil and made my weed eater stall.
But the first time it happened it was my fault I accidentally used enough oil to make 2 gallons problem was I was using a 2.5 gallon tank, didn't realize it was a 2.5 gallon tank not my gas can and I didn't fill it and my buddy told me it was 2 gallons.... Very dumb I should have looked.
Few years later I dumped in a bottle of "1 gallon oil mix" into my usual 1 gallon gas can, filled up my ran dry weed eater and when I started it, my faithful weed eater didn't want to stay running. Knew I had seen this before.
So I opened my last "1 gallon mix bottle" and just dumped a little more oil straight into the weed eater, ran great. Dumped the rest of that gallon of 2 stroke gas into my truck and started measuring the 2 stroke my self from then on.
That was last bottle of 2 stroke mix from that pack, so I didn't have more to measure and my next purchase was a refillable squeeze bottle of red armor.
According to the video it looks like pre-measured bottles sometimes come up 4 to 10cc short maybe more in my case.

I still use pre-measured bottles occasionally, I use ones that are somewhat translucent to light and that I filled. I mark where the oil should be with a sharpie so I can check it before I dump it. As these pre-measured "1 gallon mix bottles" stay in my saw box and get knocked around and may leak a few drops over time since they aren't factory sealed anymore. Plus I run 40:1 in the saws and I can't buy pre-measured red armor in 40:1 for mixing up 1 gallon of gasoline at a time.

What the amsoil lacks in actual product volume may be intentional since they claim leaner mixes work fine. Whatever they may lack in product volume they more than make up for with hiberus.

32:1 seems a happy ratio for me, guess it makes up for not using "Super Turbo Racing Full Synthetic" 2-stroke! Jeez, I'm only blowing leaves & cutting firewood, not racing snowmobiles!:whistle:

Lately I've just been buying a gallon jug of two stroke oil and using a Ratio Rite cup to measure.

Thanks for that informative video.

I've used Royal Purple synthetic quarts for years...truly due to the ease of ordering on Amazon and a better price than I could find locally. I like that I know with certainty the amount I am measuring out.

I don't understand why that would make it stall. Too MUCH oil would foul the plugs and make it stall. Not enough oil would make the engine seize, no?
I used to have a moped when stationed in Germany. If I put the oil directly into the gas tank the oil would plug up the jets in the carburetor and the bike stalled. Sam principle in any small 2 stroke motor.

I've always used a 1 gallon gas can, and this measuring cup:

I don't know why people use those tiny bottles of oil, it is cheaper long term to buy a larger bottle, you get precise measurements, and you don't have to fuss with a bunch of bottles everywhere.

This is why the 32:1 mix ratio is such a fabulous idea for those of us not corrupted by that metric thing. We can add 1/2 ounce of oil to a pint of gas or an even ounce of oil to a quart of gas or simply 4 ounces of oil to a gallon of gas. There's none of that 2.6 or 3.2 or the idea that you have to let the bottle drain until the first mosquito bites you. One ounce in a quart of gas is how the creator meant it to be.

And using those tiny bottles ranks up there with ketchup on a ham sandwich... just DON'T DO IT!!

I use the 6.4 ounce bottle of STIHL Ultra and arrange to have the gas pump shut off at exactly 2.5 gallons. I have to go to a special gas station in town that's set up to do that. I can't do it at Costco.

If I found out the oil bottles were not filled properly, I'd scream bloody murder.

...What the amsoil lacks in actual product volume may be intentional since they claim leaner mixes work fine. Whatever they may lack in product volume they more than make up for with hiberus.
In a formula such as Amsoil's Saber I find that a 40:1 ratio works well in most of my 2-cycle outdoor equipment. I make up a quart at time to keep close tabs on my volumes. That is 32 oz of 91 octane non-alchy fuel to 0.8 ounces of 2-cycle oil for a 40:1 ratio.

For a one gallon it is 128 oz. of 91 octane non-alchy fuel to 3.2 ounces of 2-cycle oil for a 40:1 ratio.

For a two-gallon container it is 256 oz. of 91 octane non-alchy fuel to 6.4 ounces of 2-cycle oil for a 40:1 ratio.

For a 2.5 gallon container it is 320 oz. of 91 octane non-alchy fuel to 8 ounces of 2-cycle oil for a 40:1 ratio.

For other formulas (other brands) it may vary.

Last edited:
My moped was a "Meister Moped" with a 50cc Sachs motor and a Bing carburetor. No oil injection. I modified the exhaust and chain sprockets and that enabled me to reach a terminal velocity of nearly 40 mph. I had a great time driving it around the small towns near Ramstein AFB. I bought it used from a German farmer for around $25 and it lasted me around 5 years. The Air Force required me to get a motorcycle stamp on my drivers license. I was ridiculous to drive my moped through the motorcycle course because of the slow speed moped running on a course designed for a considerably faster machine. That old moped was very reliable, but as I said in a previous post, if you added the oil directly to the gas tank the oil would clog up the itty bitty jets in the Bing carburetor and transform me into a pedestrian.

32:1 seems a happy ratio for me, guess it makes up for not using "Super Turbo Racing Full Synthetic" 2-stroke! Jeez, I'm only blowing leaves & cutting firewood, not racing snowmobiles!:whistle:
Yeah I'm using 40:1 to 32:1 in my weed eater since it runs wide open throttle for at least several minutes to a tank of fuel at a time.

Last edited:
I did find a couple light bottles at home depot.. Was reaching behind them where the last 16oz bottle was tucked and knocked some over..
one was half full huscvarna oil.

Next time I was at another home depot I checked the 2 cycle oil just to see and there was another light one.

I use the squeeze bottles to measure.. by the time the side "pipe" drains out its likely close to 40:1 does it really matter if its 50:1 or 40:1 or 42:1
well I err slightly on the side of more oil and use oils with JASO FD.

Last edited:
Back