Has Ford Back Spec'ed 4.0 Eng on Rangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I had my '10 Explorer with the 4.0, I used to run an ACEA A3/B4 rated 5W-30. Deinitely avoid running a 5W-20!

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
My Dad bought a Ranger brand new the last year they made them (11 or 12)....It still specs 5-30. We are going to a 0-30 in it next OCI.
That being said I just went with German Castrol 0-40 in my V6 06 Explorer w 90K mi.

That's fine, there's a Ford TB that said one could use 10W-40 in the 4.0L...

are you being sarcastic ??
I ask because some have seemed to take offense to my oil choice on here (other threads.

If so, what is the reason behind this, have they finally admitted that low oil PSI is an issue for the 4.0 ????

I started running Havoline 10W40 in the old lady's 98 Explorer 4.0 about a month ago and it quietened it down A LOT.

Any body here have a REAL oil psi gauge ??
What do these engines run normally with a 5-30 vs a 10-40 or ANY 40wt ?

I run 10w30 in mine. Been doing it for a few years now. Of course I don't have to worry about cold weather.

There's a guy in one of my mustang forums with a new edge with the v-6. He's got over a half million miles on it using conventional 10w-30. He's a Michigander and uses the car to commute.
Google it. He got something from ford because of it.
Anyways knowing that I'd stick with what your using,especially is cold isn't a concern.

The 4.0 never did get back spec'd to 5W20. 5W30 only.

Keep using the 5W30.

My cousin has a 1998 4.0...I can see where the "Ole Growley" name came from. My cousin's truck has 226K miles on it though (original engine).

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

I think we are all going to find out in years to come that the 5-20's are gonna fall short allot in terms of durability...

Its been over 10 years since 5w20 was put into mainstream use. How much longer are we going to have to wait and how many hundreds of thousands of miles will be enough?

In the meantime, this isn't an application for 5w20. 5w30 would be my preferred flavor, as specified by Ford.

I don't see any compelling reason to move to a back spec'ed engine oil driven by governmental regulations for improved fleet fuel mileage.

Engineers, free of political agendas, selected a 5W-30 for serviceablility in this engine.

I'd stick with their original recommendations.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I think we are all going to find out in years to come that the 5-20's are gonna fall short allot in terms of durability...

Its been over 10 years since 5w20 was put into mainstream use. How much longer are we going to have to wait and how many hundreds of thousands of miles will be enough?

In the meantime, this isn't an application for 5w20. 5w30 would be my preferred flavor, as specified by Ford.

I don't see any compelling reason to move to a back spec'ed engine oil driven by governmental regulations for improved fleet fuel mileage.

Engineers, free of political agendas, selected a 5W-30 for serviceablility in this engine.

AMEN!!!!!
most do not understand that an engineer in any industry is held prisoner by government regulations, in my industry it's the FCC.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

You're just repeating the same, tired old lies and cliches. That's simply not the case...

Quote:

No. They "selected" it because the oil pumps in these particular engines are better off with a bit more pressure and a (slightly) thicker grade of oil. But then, at one time people said the same thing about 5W-30 and numerous manuals even stated not to use 5W-30 in "sustained highway driving" in like the 1980's. But technology of blending has made those silly notions obsolete. And the truth is that your 5W-30 eventually becomes a 5W-20 anyways.

Quote:

The "original" recommendations are the same, the engine was never backspec'd to 5W-20, so you're just making an issue where none exists.

That being said, I'm not necessarily a fan of going back to a thinner weight in an older, higher mileage engine if a car is leaking or using oil. I would even use 10W-30/40 in this engine in hotter months or if I towed with it...

Quote:
They "selected" it because the oil pumps in these particular engines are better off with a bit more pressure and a (slightly) thicker grade of oil.

This is what I found on a Ford document some time ago when I was doing research for 99 4.0. The oil pumps are weak and don't do well with thin oils.

I run M1HM in mine and it helps to smooth out the operation and cut down somewhat on the valve train noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back