Would like some seasoned advice on a recent purchase, and detergents ?

Hi I recently purchased a 2016 Chevrolet Impala with the 3.6 liter V6 and it has relatively low mileage @ 29.655 and these engines are a little particular about oil changes and good clean oil. I plan on changing it with Mobil-1 5W-30 and a Wix filter, but I was wondering about using a good detergent oil to clean up inside the engine as best I can, do anyone know what I should do to to get the insides as clean as possible ? It has had regular oil and filters at about 5000 mile intervals.

Thank you,

HPL has a product called "Engine Cleaner". It's a fully formulated motor oil that you add one quart to every five quarts of whatever motor oil you're using. Or you can run whatever HPL oil you choose as they're known to clean very well.

Valvoline has a new product out called "Restore & Protect". But it's hard to find, and no one really knows how well it cleans. It's not proven yet.

Alternatively, use Mobil 1 EP High Mileage 5W-30. Don't let the High Mileage part scare you. It's very good oil with cleaning abilities and will also condition any dried seals like rear and front seals, CVVT seals, etc.

Hi I recently purchased a 2016 Chevrolet Impala with the 3.6 liter V6 and it has relatively low mileage @ 29.655 and these engines are a little particular about oil changes and good clean oil. I plan on changing it with Mobil-1 5W-30 and a Wix filter, but I was wondering about using a good detergent oil to clean up inside the engine as best I can, do anyone know what I should do to to get the insides as clean as possible ? It has had regular oil and filters at about 5000 mile intervals.
Timing chain replacement is common on these and costly. Neughbor's bill for replacement was close to $2500.00

Change the oil every 4k with a name brand synthetic and that should keep the timing chain lubricated nicely and relatively clean. Check for consumption every 1k.

My daughter has the same year 2016 and engine in her Acadia. I change her oil with 5w30 winter and 10w30 summer every 3k. It holds 5-1/2 quarts with filter.

What makes you think it needs cleaning?
I'm not sure, but these 3.6 engines I have been reading up on, indicates they have some problems with the early cars before 2012, "had some issues with running between oil changes " but that much of the early problems post 2012. i just would like to put some insurance as far as a clean engine, So I'm going to put a WIX filter and 5 QT's Of Mobil-1 synthetic oil, and if anything should be done, it's often oil & Filter changes ?

I'm not sure, but these 3.6 engines I have been reading up on, indicates they have some problems with the early cars before 2012, "had some issues with running between oil changes " but that much of the early problems post 2012. i just would like to put some insurance as far as a clean engine, So I'm going to put a WIX filter and 5 QT's Of Mobil-1 synthetic oil, and if anything should be done, it's often oil & Filter changes ?
One of the posters states 5.5 qts with filter. I personally don't know, but you may want to verify and make sure before you do your first change. Just to be safe.

Your oil and filter choice is good; and yes, do more frequent (no more than 5k) oil changes with this engine and check the oil level frequently. With 29k miles, engine should be clean and no ‘extra cleaning’ is needed.

No timing chain issues with the 3.6 that was on the early years non issue with yours. Takes 6qts mobil 1 is fine if there's any issue with a inside dirty engine Mobil 1 will clean it up with time and oil changes

No timing chain issues with the 3.6 that was on the early years non issue with yours. Takes 6qts mobil 1 is fine if there's any issue with a inside dirty engine Mobil 1 will clean it up with time and oil changes
Can confirm. Mobil1 HM 5w-30 has cleaned up our Hyundai 1.6L from what I assume was some mild OCI abuse before we acquired it at 120k (at 150k-ish now). It used to have a god-awful lifter 'tick' (which was more like a lifter bang) when the outside temp was 20° or less which took 5 minutes to go away. Assume it was from the VVT system. After we switched to Mobil1, it went away after about 1k miles. Same grade and everything, same filters. The Mobil1 HM does a good job cleaning, apparently. It's what I run in both of our cars now. My OCI is 1 yr or 4k (07 Mazda3 2.3L), my wife is 6 mos or 4k (08 Hyundai Accent 1.6GDI).

Regular changes with Dexos oil and top offs (if it consumes or leaks) are the only things needed. Sounds like you’re going to do that so you’re good. If there is no evidence to suspect it is dirty then I would not worry about cleaning it.

I had a ‘12 GM 3.6 which went over 200K with the original chain on nothing but regular maintenance. Chains are not an issue from 2012 on. Don’t worry about that either.

Thank you,
Go with M1 5w30 or M1 0w40. Don’t overthink it. We used 5w30 synthetic in thousands at work without issues.

Back