Which oil grade to use?

My recently-acquired 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis is nearing it's first oil change under my watch. Car has 178,592. It was done by the previous owner about 3800 miles ago. Under the cam covers appears nice and clean and it hasn't used any oil that I can tell since I've owned it.

So. My choices are 5W-20, 5W-20HM, and 5W-30. Asking for the collective's opinion.

It's going to be really hard to screw this up. The grade isn't that important. The brand isn't that important. If you change every 3800 miles, and the engine is still in good shape, it will likely last a long, long time.

I would probably run Quakerstate Full Synthetic High Mileage 5w30, very good oil and among the cheapest as well.
I used QSUD 5W-30 in the ex's 2003 Marauder with about the same miles on it, and I was impressed with how smooth the engine sounded. Used that oil for the rest of the time she owned it, running 5000-mile OCIs. (she sold it at 220,000)

I think that's the front-runner unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 EP HM 5W-30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L, Quaker State Ultimate Protection 5W-30. Why no 0W? Because NOACK.

The mod motor 4.6L 2v literally does not care what grade you use as long as it's anything from a 0w-20 to a 10w-40; wear rates are not affected by the grade.
In MA, I would think 5w-20 or 5w-30 would be a good year-round choice.

That engine runs basically forever.
I would use a high mileage 5w-30 full syn or blend, Motorcraft filter, and change every 5000 miles.

Back