2011 Tundra...Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to change the oil in my 2011 Toyota Tundra. The Toyota maintenance plan has expired so it's time for me to foot the bill.

The truck has the 5.7L, 4x4 and the tow package. I bought it new in Feb of 2012 as a leftover 2011. I only have 15,000 miles on it, so it is being changed 2 times per year for warranty reasons. I occasionally tow with it but only a 5x10 utility trailer with an ATV on it. I live in VA, so the summers are hot but not extreme...same could be said with the winters...normally pretty mild.

I'm weighing whether or not synthetic oil would be worth the extra cost over standard dino oil? I'm leaning towards PYB in 5W-20 and just change every 6 months. Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions?

I lived between Richmond and Charlottesville for several years, and IMO for that climate and changing every 6 months, a solid dino will be fine.

Once out of warranty though if you want longer intervals, then would be a good time to go synthetic; with so few miles being put on, you could probably go 7500 miles or more (with UOA) on a good dino.

Last edited:
With such low miles per year it won't matter for years to come. But if it was me I'd use synthetic and change every 10k. Long timing chains worry me.

Doesn't your Tundra spec 0w20?....if it does for warranty reasons stick with 0w20 full syn.
You can get a 0w20 Pennzoil or mobil with a decent oil filter for around $32 dollars at advance.
I use 0w20 and do 10k changes but if you don't want to do that go with full syn and do at least a 7500k oil change

Originally Posted By: supton
With such low miles per year it won't matter for years to come. But if it was me I'd use synthetic and change every 10k. Long timing chains worry me.

Good point.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Doesn't your Tundra spec 0w20?....if it does for warranty reasons stick with 0w20 full syn.
You can get a 0w20 Pennzoil or mobil with a decent oil filter for around $32 dollars at advance.
I use 0w20 and do 10k changes but if you don't want to do that go with full syn and do at least a 7500k oil change

The manual and filler cap state 5w-20 or 0w-20.

The 5.7 sump holds 8 quarts of oil...probably part of the reason I'm hesitant on the synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back