Auto Rx on 91 civic, 188K

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks Rich,

So far i've followed instructions exactly. But i might change my oil filter in the cleaning stage, just as an added caution.

Hello all,

Wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone who posted information. Lots of interesting stuff.

I put in a new oil filter and Auto RX two days ago and i'm excited to see what happens. I'm considering changing the oil filter again while in the cleaning stage as an added precaution.

Also are Fram Oil filters OK with Auto Rx?

I have a 91 Honda civic w/ 188K miles. It's burned oil since i bought it at 100K miles. Right now it probably burns about 1 quart every 900 or 1300 miles, more at higher rpms. (I don't know exactly how much oil because I've just had some leaks discovered and repaired)

A trusted friend and mechanic informed me that my engine was majorly sludged.

A few months ago my car was 'totaled' by an insurance company, for the second time. And people have been telling me for years that i should consider gettting rid of it. So far they have been dead wrong.
tongue.gif

[ January 05, 2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: skate1968 ]

Hey DJ,

I said hello to you in your "Need advice from you guys." I was once a struggling college student like yourself. Now i'm an old guy struggling to get the most out of my civic. Many people are not impressed with my car. Except when i pass through North Philly, the barrio, people there want to buy my car.
smile.gif

Some say a Honda filter is just a Fram with blue paint. In any event, if Fram is questionable i'll just change the filters more regular. It's not worth tossing the ones i've already bought.

BTW, if i remember correct oil at autozone & pep boys is as cheap as Walmart. Have a look if it's convenient.

Good luck to you, DJ.

Skate,

Although the sight of a wall of orange at Autozone and Wal-mart make me sick, I doubt there's much wrong with a Fram during an engine cleaning.

I would hope a large majority of the gunk that Auto RX and others (MMO, Seafoam, etc.) are removing is drained away from the oil pan.

Use the cheapest oil possible.

You might look at running another cleaning cycle after a 3,000 "good oil" OCI (meaning run the oil change after the rinse cycle).

thanks thooks

Yes, I intended to do a second cycle as recomended in the instructions for heavily sludged engines.

I feel like making a road trip to move this process along
smile.gif

i'm on my second run through with arx now.... has been months since i started and i drive a LOT..since i am doing the 2 full cycles recomended for vehicles over 100k (mines at 184).. I deliver pizzas, but even with that, 7000 miles total for 2 clean and 2 rinse phases takes about 3 months for me. I was also considering planning a "road trip" of sorts to speed things up, I decided to save my money and just keep using the vehicle while delivering pizzas, so far, so good.

patience, patience. follow instructions, hehe...

i love those old hondacars, wish I still had my 88 accord.

IMO,

Daily driving is gonna do much more good than a few long driving intervals. I think a combination of miles and some time (2 months) will be best.

The chemicals need time to break down the deposits, not just mileage.

grin.gif
I love my old honda.
grin.gif

mdocod, I've heard other's say that they miss their old honda after getting rid of them.

I'd like to keep mine. But it's a question as to whether it's feasable to maintain a car with transmission noise, some rust and some oil burning.

edit: and an electrical problem (the car's taking a beating from accidents and from thieves)

It’s funny that they only say it about their old Hondas. I wish my dad wouldn’t have sold his 90 Honda Civic. I would still be driving that thing. 1.5 with a 4 speed, but it would probably have a boosted LS with a 5 speed and big brakes, but it would still be a good Honda.

Hello everyone,

Well, my radio still doesn't work. But i have noticed improvement.

I just did the true test. I ran my car till near empty on gas. added a gallon of regular. ran that down. Then i added full tank of regular. So at this point there is really no more high ocatane premium gas in my tank.

No knocks no pinging!!!!! Yahoo!!!

It used to ping like crazy on regular!!!

i wrote in another forum that between this and the tranny drain i feel like i'm driving a different car. a better car!

I'm going to give some of this stuff to my sister in law. She's got a 1995 toyota.

Burning Oil.

I've noticed a big increase in the amount of oil that i'm burning. I don't know how many quarts exactly (i buy it by the jug) but it had to have been like 2 quarts in one week.

I attribute this to a combination of things:

1 Using thinner oil. I'm no longer using motor honey or smoke b gone. I even added a qt of 5W with the 10W30.

2 My lead foot. My car now runs so much smoother I enjoy driving it faster. Yes i admit i'm driving it a lot harder than i did in December.

3 It's my understanding that as AutoRx is cleaning the engine sludge and carbon is getting dislodged. And I might get some issues that are temporary. The seals will eventually work as they're supposed to w/out sludge.

3 maybe the slight rise in temperature? i'm not sure.

I've even noticed some black soot in the back of my car.

Discliamer: My car certainly certainly burned oil before using AutoRx and am nothing less than happy with the product.

Use about 3 oz. as a maint. dose. My 92 Civic 1.5L had seal leaks. Maybe using 3 oz. mixed in with your oil might help reduce the burning? Give it a try, and post the results.

P.S., my Honda engine also started performing alot better and I also started driving it hard after AR-Xing it.

Thanks for posting CQ,

I do intend to use the ARX as a maintenance does after the i do the second cleaning as instructed.

My engine is a 1.5 like yours. But mine is a fourth generation and i think your 92 is a fifth.

I'm very inspired by Larry's post about ARX reduced oil burning in his older civic.

I will post the results. Wish me luck.

I have a 89 Honda 2.0L with 142K miles... I did three cleanings and rinses on it and now use the 3oz maint dose. The oil still looks black as coal after 1K miles on each OCI.

I am completely satisifed with the product. The car runs great and I have no oil useage between 4K miles OCI.

I also run MC 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back