2012 Subaru Outback CVT 1 Year Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
A little history first. I fell in love with subarus after picking up a 99 forester and learned how easy and a joy they are to work on. I went ahead and put my money where my mouth was and bought a new one. Priorities change over time and i'm finding that i dont need a new car anymore plus the extra debt and i'm going to give my 2003 elantra a run as a commuter vehicle.

This vintage subaru is the last of the EJ timing belt driven vehicles. I put 14000 miles on it in about 15 months, mostly city commuting miles. I had zero reliability issues. There was one recall done within the first month for a manufacturing defect with the brake master slave cylinder which the dealership replaced.

Powertrain: The engine is very smooth from the boxer design, and has has power all along the torque band. The CVT in combination with the lazy electronic throttle however holds its back tremendously. I never felt much of a rubber band effect from what i've read on other peoples impressions of CVTs. The 4EAT in my forester is truck-like but is easier to live with. After my ownership I can certainly say I will avoid CVTs in the future.

Drivability: Having AWD is always a bonus to me, driving aggressively I couldnt really get traction control to engage very much. On the highway it is downright luxurious with a very quiet interior. Overall NVH is 10 out of 10.

Interior: The cloth seat textures always bugged me because it seems like it would rip easily, but they held up very well and stains always would come up with no issues at all. The stereo is not very good but adequate. the USB interface always confuses and mixes up tracks and would never play audiobooks or regular music in the correct track sequence. AC, Heater, and heated seats all work amazing and I will miss having a warm butt in the elantra.

Summary: I've owned several vehicles, too many perhaps. This one was an 8 out of 10, with the transmission being the big fat red exclamation point for those who are curious about CVTs. It works just fine, but expect anemic performance even against a regular auto transmission.

comments/questions/conjecture welcome

I love the size increase over the previous generation. The CVT transmission is better suited to the motor IMHO which is not really the powerful but adequate.

My qualms are cheaper interior than 05-09 Outback/Legacy which was really nice.

Agree nice quiet car. My experience was a loaner for recall work on our 2005 Legacy turbo wagon.

I don't know that I agree the CVT "holds back" any power from an EJ253. I've driven a bunch of them w/ the 4EAT and they certainly are no powerhouse in that configuration either. The 4EAT is more annoying given it's large ratio changes IMO.

I much prefer the EJ253 with the CVT.

FWIW, I'm at ~23K miles with my 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT and like the vehicle a lot. I'd prefer the increased ground clearance and higher seating position in Outback format, but I do dig the ~31mpg summer and ~28mpg winter I get with my Leggy.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Interesting. The magazines say that Subaru's CVT is one of the best. Maybe that's faint praise [censored] all CVTs though.

that is my take. if this is the best that CVTs can be, count me very disinterested.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Interesting. The magazines say that Subaru's CVT is one of the best. Maybe that's faint praise [censored] all CVTs though.

that is my take. if this is the best that CVTs can be, count me very disinterested.

Just out of curiosity, but have you driven other similar vehicles equipped with CVT for comparison?

I've driven a few Nissan Rogues (4cyl/CVT/AWD) and I enjoy those too.

IMO, a CVT isn't the best 'feeling' in the world, but it beats the heck out of today's too many speed, get to the highest range as quick as possible ATs.

Joel

I test drove one and thought it was probably good enough to live with. In the end, my wife was coming from a 265 hp 4.0L Xterra and wanted more power. So we bought the 3.6R with the 5AT.

We aren't to a year yet, but no complaints so far. There are some fit and finish issues I wish were a bit better but the other two vehicles we were considering (Pilot and Highlander) felt even cheaper inside.

Last edited:

That has been updated. The 2013 Accord CVT apparently is the new defacto benchmark. I think it mostly just feels like a great automatic but delivers economy of a CVT.

Yeah, they say the new Accord's CVT is the new standard against which CVTs should be judged. I haven't driven one yet. A friend of ours has a 2012 Subaru Outback and they really like it. I haven't driven or ridden in it, but have sat in it and it's certainly a nice vehicle.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't know that I agree the CVT "holds back" any power from an EJ253.
Joel

quoting myself here

"The CVT in combination with the lazy electronic throttle however holds its back tremendously"

try this, from a stop, floor the gas pedal. wait 2 very long seconds until the computer decides to dump fuel and air into the engine, hear the (nice and smooth) roar of the engine and CVT (smooth) struggle to 0-60, wait 13 more seconds with little or no fanfaire. you have now reached 60mph.

the 4EAT with cable throttle has none of these issues. sure i'm conjecturing on modern technology, but it still blows.

on another note, i made it to work today just fine in my new elantra, smelled a faint whiff of coolant from a previous repair but everything looks ok because i think its just spilled coolant burning off. will be doing a UOA as soon as i get the kit to see how this engine is doing. yippy.

Last edited:
It would be unusual if Subaru was not using torque management strategies in their driveline. Virtually every other mfgr does.

I am still waiting to drive a new Accord with the 4 banger and CVT to see if anything has changed for me. I am not usually a fan of CVT's in general.

No, they should not and in fact if an older model was repaired properly it should not again for a long time.

I personally think the 4eat was better mated to the EJ255 from the get go. I drove a non-turbo Forester as a loaner and it really struggled sometimes where I think a CVT might have been beter suited.

I almost went with an Outback though but 3.6R since the fuel economy wasn't that different in my real world driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back