2023 1.5/CVT Malibu Rental car.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
This one had 17,000 miles on it.

Was comfortable with heated seats. Pretty tight overall. Tight steering.
No rattles, which surprised me, rental in New England. I put at about 400 miles on it.
Some of those were two trips from Boston Logan to Newport RI. about an hour and half.
Really good brakes.
The CVT was not bad at all, better than others I have driven. Still not my thing.
I Like that cluster design, someone else here complained about it, but it is like all my other
GM cars, easy to read, operate and is simple to understand. That is a very personal thing.
Start stopped worked fine, I don't like having it, but it was pretty seamless. I never bothered to disable it.
I was the surprised how well the 1.5 moved it along. It is a 160 HP. Adequate for a Malibu I suppose.
Turbo lag wasn't as much of an issue for a car that was broken in. You could feel it for sure, but I have driven a few
other rentals that were worse. Could just be this car is lighter.
The car was pretty quiet overall, unless you laid into the 1.5, it got buzzy, but driving normally I didn't think
it would be that quiet.
Guy I was with commented on how smooth it actually rode all over the roads in Newport, RI.
and he felt it was comfortable for a sedan as well. (He has an Accord and BMW) He was pretty surprised.
I have to say for a little car it did eat up the beat-up roads in New England pretty well.
It was averaging right around 35mpg.
Turn signal switch and wiper switch felt cheap as compared to what I am used to.
Rest of the interior was fine for a 23,000 to 25,000 dollar brand new car. I see them priced anywhere from 21,000 to 30,500 new.
Wasn't fan of the headlights, but you probably won't blind anyone either. They could have done better.
It had lane departure assist. It got angry if you went out of your lane and pulled you back in a manner, I thought was pretty aggressive.
You can turn it off but was not a fan.

Not the worst car I have ever driven, certainly not the best, but if you can get a brand new one with warranty for 23,000 to 25,000 bucks that isn't too bad, you could do worse.

I am not even sure what you compare it to at that price point. A Civic? A Corolla?

The right price cures any set of nitpicks.

And while the Malibu would not be my first recommendation, I would have no qualms abput recommending it if the spread between a Malibu and Accord was wide enough (or buyer had a strict budget).

you can get a Malibu for ~$1000 more than a Civic,

https://www.autonation.com/cars-for...tby=autonationprice&sortdirection=0&zip=30303

One would hope that the Malibu is a flawless car given the age of this generation.

My Malibu rental was uneventful too, no complaints---except that the brakes felt mushier than what I am accustomed to. (and auto-stop had no disengage button)

I rented ine of these with a 6-speed manual in Europe back in 2019. The 1.5 Turbo was weak, couldn't keep up with a 2.4L NA Hyundai engine. Fuel mileage was okay, not great. Build quality was belliw average. In Europe they're sold under the Opel badge. And yes, I know GM disposed of Opel by selling the company. For the same money I can get a Hyundai Sonata SE 2.5L NA GDI/MPI with a nice 8-speed transmission. Oh, did I mention that the 1.5 Turbo is a gutless little engine?

Did your rental have cloth inserts in the dash? I just drove a new Malibu that will serve as the fleet vehicle at my office and that's the first thing that I noticed...extremely tacky IMO.

I had what struck me as a “fancier” Malibu a few months back as a rental car. It struck me as one of the better rental cars I can remember driving. It really had now bad attributes.

I remember thinking that if I needed a car to just put tons of miles on, you could do a lot worse…. And it would be tough to do a ton better if all you’re doing is wasting hours on the interstate.

Did your rental have cloth inserts in the dash? I just drove a new Malibu that will serve as the fleet vehicle at my office and that's the first thing that I noticed...extremely tacky IMO.
You know I really didn't notice. Where were they?

You know I really didn't notice. Where were they?
Mine has it… not very stylish. Might like the Malibu a bit more if mine was a higher trim. The base trim interior looks and feels pretty cheap.

Powertrain is decent and gets solid MPG.

image.jpg

GM seems to be obsessed with putting fabric on the dash, I think it started with the 2011 Cruze. I'm not a real fan, even my XT4 has it but at least it's done more tastefully that that. I was focused on the temperature in that pic (it's rare we're in the mid 40's in the middle of the afternoon here), but you get the idea.

4FgK2us.jpeg

With the accord dropping the M/T, 2.0T+10-speed... really makes this segment even more competitive. When a Malibu can be this OK, and you're not missing much... why not save the $$$.

Mine has it… not very stylish. Might like the Malibu a bit more if mine was a higher trim. The base trim interior looks and feels pretty cheap.

Powertrain is decent and gets solid MPG.

View attachment 203028
I didn't even notice if it did have it. So, what do people want? Plastic? They complain about that. Suede? Fabric? I just want something that wears well.

I didn't even notice if it did have it. So, what do people want? Plastic? They complain about that. Suede? Fabric? I just want something that wears well.
Soft-touch plastic is acceptable...people complain about hard plastic and rightfully so.

Much like the Express vans, it seems like a vehicle that GM just forgot to stop making

I'm not the biggest fan of the 1.5T, and the carpet seems to be awful cheap
But it's an adequate rental car 🤷‍♂️

Much like the Express vans, it seems like a vehicle that GM just forgot to stop making

I rented a 23 Express the other week. Had the newer LTx style 4.3 and the 8-speed auto. Had plenty of power. The rest of the van was the same thing it was 10-15 years ago. Same radio, cluster, wheel… everything.

But man do those Express vans sell. A guy who needs a I’d bet will always want one over a Transit.

Actually I like hard plastic interior, but it better be thick hard plastic not the eggshell stuff in the 2000s dodge trucks. It's durable and easy to clean.

The 1.5T engine is known for oil burning - already replaced one in an 18 Malibu but then again the customer never checked the oil even after multiple times coming to the shop with 2+qts low with CEL on for low oil pressure!

Back