19 Subaru Impreza - CVT failed

The Impreza was making a clicking type sound. I had thought it was just in need of an oil change. She informed me that it's been doing this for quite some time and that she ran over a trash can lid SMH. Took it to the dealer Monday night. They said the CVT will have to be replaced. He mentioned it could be a bearing within the CVT, but likely it will have to be replaced. It's a 2019 with only 20k miles on it. I'll know more today.

I thought Subaru CVTs were reliable. Maybe they are and it's the driver. 🤭 Either way kind of disappointing. Luckily, she is still under the 5yr/60k warranty.

Let the Subaru hate begin.........

I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons to never get a CVT vehicle.

It least it wasn't a head gasket (that comes later)!
268250eccb9ccda30a52c1e61f4927e8.jpg

I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons to never get a CVT vehicle.
I think the Honda CVTs are the best from what I've read. I don't know much about them honestly. I had no issue with it until now. Kind of liked it at times too and I've driven mostly manuals my whole life. I don't know.........

I think the Honda CVTs are the best from what I've read.

Transmission on any vehicle can fail at any time.
The issue with CVT is just that they are not as stout as regular automatic.
On Subaru, bigger issue is that people buy Crosstrek or Outback and than they think they bought Land Cruiser and slap oversized all terrain tires with so much weight that kills CVT. That is where bad reputation comes from now. Granted, they had issues early, but that is resolved.

Honestly I think the CVT in my 21 Outback is nice. However, I am conscious abuse should be avoided with the CVT. My goal is to change the fluid every 40-45k and just take care of the car. Compared to other designs like Nissan's belt driven I'm confident in Subarus design. People like to bash Subarus but hey take at look at GM's 8 speed and Ford 10 speed screw ups.

I will say this car isn't driven gently. She's far rougher on things than I am. I think they're overall pretty reliable units. 🤷‍♂️

Hmm, any other specifics? Valve bodies typical go bad and the entire assembly has to be replaced, not the entire transmission.

Hmm, any other specifics? Valve bodies typical go bad and the entire assembly has to be replaced, not the entire transmission.
I'll find out today. I'm not entirely sure they will be replacing the entire unit. The service writer seemed to suggest that would be the case but I don't know for sure.

Honestly I think the CVT in my 21 Outback is nice. However, I am conscious abuse should be avoided with the CVT. My goal is to change the fluid every 40-45k and just take care of the car. Compared to other designs like Nissan's belt driven I'm confident in Subarus design. People like to bash Subarus but hey take at look at GM's 8 speed and Ford 10 speed screw ups.

The 10 speed was a joint venture of Ford & Chevy. Took a few years to iron out that mess! Much of it was software related, at least that's what I read.

The Impreza was making a clicking type sound. I had thought it was just in need of an oil change. She informed me that it's been doing this for quite some time and that she ran over a trash can lid SMH. Took it to the dealer Monday night. They said the CVT will have to be replaced. He mentioned it could be a bearing within the CVT, but likely it will have to be replaced. It's a 2019 with only 20k miles on it. I'll know more today.

I thought Subaru CVTs were reliable. Maybe they are and it's the driver. 🤭 Either way kind of disappointing. Luckily, she is still under the 5yr/60k warranty.

Let the Subaru hate begin.........
These eat CV joints due to the severe angle on the joint on the X-trek.. But now I see you have an Impreza. Could be a confounding of treminology with the service writer? Or is it currently clicking at idle?

These transmissions have a mini fluid coupling with an aggressive lockup clutch pack that locks around 5MPH to get rid of typical slush-box hydraulic pumping losses. Maybe that is failing?

Our '17 crosstrek with a CVT made it to almost 90k running strong. Wife beat that thing.

Wife was worried about the transmission on her new '23 so she bought a service contract extension to 5Y 120K IIRC.

Funny thing though, she bought a 6-speed stick shift :)

I am glad you are within PT warranty - Ken

How about the JD Gator with 1259 hours sitting at my ranch? I changed the belt a few months ago. For some reason it still goes like the Christopher Cross Wind when i put the hammer down "to be free again."

View attachment 200070
I think thats where CVTs belong. In small scooters and ATVs. I won't ever buy a car with one, unless i have no choice.

Back