got some new tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really happy about a recent result re a pair of new yokohama avid tires.

so, i changed the plugs and also got a pair of new tires for my sis' Volvo V70, to replace some really worn out 235/45r17's; I called a nice independent tire shop that helped me out with a previous tire repair and asked for a narrower profile 215/50/r17 tire with much higher than the 400 tread rating on the old Firestone Champion HR's that had worn down to less than 2 and 3 32nds (these thing wear fast--about 40k).

I think the new tires (on front, drive axle) drive great, and I like the feel a lot better than the old make and factory spec size of 235/45/r17, plus they look great
smile.gif

If it lasted 40k and you think it's fast wearing, you'll be very disappointed with 235/45-17 on the E430. No tires I tried lasted more than 30k miles. The current Continental Extreme Contact DWS seems to be down to 2/32 at around 30-32k miles with tread wear rating of 540.

I may try 215/50-17 next time, but I need to be sure it can fit on the 7.5" wide wheel.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If it lasted 40k and you think it's fast wearing, you'll be very disappointed with 235/45-17 on the E430. No tires I tried lasted more than 30k miles. The current Continental Extreme Contact DWS seems to be down to 2/32 at around 30-32k miles with tread wear rating of 540.

I may try 215/50-17 next time, but I need to be sure it can fit on the 7.5" wide wheel.

I do not see how the size can have any impact on tire wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

40k (warranty life of the tire) is just a guess; these things lasted 2, maybe 2.5 years; it could be less, esp if they saw much wear on the front; that's where most the tire wear happens on those heavy volvos.

anyways, 400 treadwear seems like soft rubber, and the 560 for the avid envigor should be a big improvment; i just read the touring all season avid ascent has a treadwear of 740 ( http://url2it.com/maia ), but it's not quite as sporty looking as the performance touring model.

Quote:

There's a decent chance they will fit; they're just a tad bigger in radius, and ~10% narrower. (The old wider firestones champion HR's actually rubbed on some sort of plastic cover in the V70's wheelwell on strong wheel deflections like in U turns, apparently because they have a much more square profile and the volvo has just about zero clearance for the factory tires; on the new tires, U turns are fine and full deflection is fine, except in one direction I thought I heard some faint squeak testing this in the parking lot.)

They sort of look like General Altimax HPs. The Yokohama Avid ENVigors seem to be a good tire. If I were to go with Yokohamas that's the model I'd get.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
pictures!!

Yes, finally!

1qsolx.jpg

Finally got the whole set replaced a few months ago (before winter); moved the lower treadwear # model (envigor?) from front to back, and had the new (ascend) high treadwear# mounted on the front (those heavy volvo bricks seem to put most of the weight on the front axles).

Here's the 740 treadwear ascend:
b7yxrb.jpg

And the envigor:
29mu2it.jpg

and pic of the old firestone gone bye. this was the stock size for the volvo (wider, smaller diam, and the low 45 profile vs the 50 provile of the new yoko tires). because of its square profile and width it would rub on the tirewells somewhat on extreme turning deflection.
2hxpm2o.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
(those heavy volvo bricks seem to put most of the weight on the front axles).
Well, yeah....the front wheel drive Volvos require the front tires to carry the weight of the engine and transmission, pull the car along the road, steer, and do most of the braking.

You can somewhat reduce the wear rate on the outer edge by installing aftermarket camber adjusters. Have your alignment tech set them for negative 1/2° to negative 1°.

Rotate your tires. Even tread on all four tires is the best. Better tread on the fronts can cause a wreck. If road traction is compromised so that under heavy braking your thin-tread rears skid while your deep-tread fronts grip, you'll pinwheel in the road and maybe wreck.

Thanks for those tips Ken, I'll keep it in mind.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Even tread on all four tires is the best. Better tread on the fronts can cause a wreck. If road traction is compromised so that under heavy braking your thin-tread rears skid while your deep-tread fronts grip, you'll pinwheel in the road and maybe wreck.

I found out the exciting way recently, fall '12, (after driving a temp'ry car--a '97 subie legacy to the east coast; the thing had some shoddy tires) I think I hit something slippery driving into nyc the day after hurricane sandy and I admit I took the off ramp too fast. The rears lost traction; oversteer that went out of control; it was all very exciting for a few seconds and I managed to steer it into the field of grass to the left rather than the concrete wall to the right.

Anyways, this should be no prob on the volvo; the rears are just a little over half a year older than the fronts; plenty of tread. I think the lower treadwear number will be offset by the much lighter weight on the rear axles; so they should all wear evenly. I'll do the first few rotations just left to right, keeping fronts on the front an rears on the rear, and check up that there isn't uneven wear (once I notice that will do a proper rotation).

Originally Posted By: Ken2
You can somewhat reduce the wear rate on the outer edge by installing aftermarket camber adjusters. Have your alignment tech set them for negative 1/2° to negative 1°.

Rotate your tires.

I agree with both of your suggestions, but do offer one discussion point. Some vehicles seem to be set up to equalize wear on front and rear tires when rotated correctly. That is, the front tires may have neutral or slightly positive camber and the rear tires may have slightly negative camber. When rotated regularly, the alignment wear should be fairly neutral. But if both front and rear axles are set up for negative camber, it's possible that one could experience inner edge wear, despite regular rotations.

Again, not saying that it will happen or is even likely to happen, depending on the vehicle. But it's possible...again, depending on the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
I'll do the first few rotations just left to right, keeping fronts on the front an rears on the rear, and check up that there isn't uneven wear (once I notice that will do a proper rotation).

Perfect plan. Let the fronts wear down a tad, and when tread depth is even or even slightly past even, then do a normal rotation.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I hate to ask, but why didn't you just get a matching pair for the rear of the exact same model?

BC.

Well, I only found out (by posting and reading in the BITOG forum) that there was a better model with a far better treadwear number--after The Critic asked "What model Avids? The new Ascend, or the Envigor?", I was like, what, a different submodel.... and looked into it. 740 treadwear with great traction looked too good to not try out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back