Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE in my hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally took the plunge and went with the AFE in my truck. First impressions is the truck seems a bit more responsive and wants to rev. I didn't notice any valve train acoustics that wasn't there before the change but I did notice the engine almost sounds diesel-like,a bit more noise from the bottom end but I'm not going to concern myself with it since the oil is a bit thinner than the PP 5w-20 I had in it before.
I've decided not to use any liqui-moly mos2 on this sump load because I want to give the oil itself,by itself an honest shot and review.
This truck consumed no oil thus far using the pp so I will monitor this sump load for any consumption.
I took the truck on a 200km highway run and it felt like it had more pep,but it could be in my head.
Anyways I will update this thread as far as fuel and oil consumption as the info becomes available.

Hey, if you really believe it, then it's true!

Should work great for you as long as the motor is nice and tight.
Consumption would be my cue to go back up a grade.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So I finally took the plunge and went with the AFE in my truck. First impressions is the truck seems a bit more responsive and wants to rev. I didn't notice any valve train acoustics that wasn't there before the change but I did notice the engine almost sounds diesel-like,a bit more noise from the bottom end but I'm not going to concern myself with it since the oil is a bit thinner than the PP 5w-20 I had in it before.
I've decided not to use any liqui-moly mos2 on this sump load because I want to give the oil itself,by itself an honest shot and review.
This truck consumed no oil thus far using the pp so I will monitor this sump load for any consumption.
I took the truck on a 200km highway run and it felt like it had more pep,but it could be in my head.
Anyways I will update this thread as far as fuel and oil consumption as the info becomes available.

I experienced the same type of increased bottom end noise in my 04 HEMI Ram when I switched to 5W20 from 5W30. I was trying to see if the 5W20 would help lessen the infamous HEMI tick but it made the bottom end sound like I had a bad bearing or something so I went back to the 5W30. I know you are talking about goingf rom a 5W to a 0W 20 weight but thought I would let you know I experienced the same issue changing weights from a 30 to a 20 weight. Was with RP oil in my truck. In my 08 HEMI Ram I had no noise whatsoever, not even the tick, running 5W20( RP ).

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Consumption would be my cue to go back up a grade.

^^Agree. And the bottom end noise would concern me as well. I know in theory 0w20 and 5w20 are similar besides cold starting, but my civic [obviously much smaller and less powerful than a hemi] is OK with 5w20, but consumption gets worse with 0w20 and gets noisy as well. My point is even though difference is small btw. the two, every engine has its limit on how thin.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

The M1 is only going to be thinner (or more pumpable) at really low temps, like start-up in your 'hood. In operation, the M1 0W20 is slightly thicker than PP5W20. For your location, it seems like a great choice. As far as over impressions of "responsiveness" and noise, I'll second Steve's thoughts... Unless you're doing a double-blind test, I wouldn't put much stock in it. People convince themselves that they feel and hear all sorts of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back