Michelin Energy A/S vs Continental PureContact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need 205/65R16 tires and I have narrowed my decision down to these choices. The local tire chain has the following choices and prices:

Continental PureContact Eco - $110/tire

Michelin Energy Saver A/S - $105/tire

If I was disappointed in my Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 OEM tires with treadwear and wet traction should I steer away from the Energy Saver A/S? The Michelin website seems to rate the MXV4 S8 as a premium over the standard Energy Saver A/S which is concerning.

The Continental PureContact are very new but TireRack rated them very high and they have a much higher treadwear rating and tread warranty.

Continental PureContact Eco

I also considered the Michelin Primacy MXV4 but the tire shop balked and said they were very difficult to get in that size although I can find them on tirerack...however the Continental PureContact is $33 cheaper per tire and is rated just as well as the MXV4.

Anyone have any opinions about the Continental?

I have read that the Michelin Energy A/S aren't USA mode like the other Michelin passenger tires...not sure where the Continental is made. The domestic tire manufacturers do not make a 205/65R15 in an H speed rating...tough to find one that is USA made. I also am not interested in 215/60R16...I want to stick with the spec'd skinnier tires to keep fuel economy up and better snow traction.

Other tires in the eco category are Bridgestone Ecopia 422 and Hankook Mileage Plus II H725.

Edit: never mind, no ecopia in that size and Hankook is S rated.

Last edited:
I would go for Michelin.

There is a new tyre in Europe called the Michelin Energy Plus which has replaced the Old Energy.

It has better wet grip which was a failing of the old Energy tyre. Apparently a little quieter aswell.

Tire rack states that that particular PureContact is made in Mexico.

I believe BJ's Wholesale usually keeps that size in stock on a Primacy MXV4 if there is one near you.

Energy Saver A/S is pretty low on traction. If you do a lot of highway driving, you may find that it does not track nearly as well as most other tires.

How do I know this? I have a set on my Prius. Fuel economy is incredible though, easily a +5% over the OE tires.
shocked2.gif
The tread depth is also still 8/32" after 20,000 + miles of maniac-like driving.

However, if you are willing to give up some MPG and are willing to tolerate a bit more noise, I would go with the PureContacts.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

However, if you are willing to give up some MPG and are willing to tolerate a bit more noise, I would go with the PureContacts.

This. I have not heard good reviews about Michelin Energy Saver a/s in rain/snow conditions. Continental on the other hand looks like an evolution of their DWS design and "should be" excellent all weather tire. At least the reviews on Tire Rack seem to point that way.

Also consider 215/60r16 as an alternate size. Has worked quite well for a couple of our customers who didnt like their choices in 205-65R16 size. Also tires are cheaper in that size as well.

Refer to www.1010tires.com , they have a tire size calculator which shows your the difference the two sizes make. A few vehicles , Nissan Altima for example used to come with 215/60R16 for a couple of years, then the company changed the size ( I believe it helps with mpgs ) to 205/65R16.

Originally Posted By: bourne

This. I have not heard good reviews about Michelin Energy Saver a/s in rain/snow conditions. Continental on the other hand looks like an evolution of their DWS design and "should be" excellent all weather tire. At least the reviews on Tire Rack seem to point that way.

Can't speak on their snow performance, but the Energy Saver A/S tires are OK in the wet. My previous set of Primacy MXV4, however, felt like super glue on wet pavement.

Originally Posted By: bourne

Also consider 215/60r16 as an alternate size. Has worked quite well for a couple of our customers who didnt like their choices in 205-65R16 size. Also tires are cheaper in that size as well.

Refer to www.1010tires.com , they have a tire size calculator which shows your the difference the two sizes make. A few vehicles , Nissan Altima for example used to come with 215/60R16 for a couple of years, then the company changed the size ( I believe it helps with mpgs ) to 205/65R16.

I also like the options with a 215/60R16 however wouldn't this slightly throw off the speedometer?

Speedometer Difference: 1.299% too fast
Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h
Speedometer1: 60.7 mph 101. km/h ( this is what your speedometer will show when you are travelling at 60 mph )
Revs per Mile: 785.2 ( oe )
Revs per Mile: 795.4 ( alt size )

And if you go 215-60R16 , Goodyear has Dunlop Signature II A/s for $93.14/tire + Installation , buy 3 get 1 free. Approximate $350 for a set of 4 installed. Tires come with a 65k warranty and our customers so far have been loving them.

I haven't used either tire, but everything I have read is very positive on both of them. Try reading online reviews from owners of cars similar to yours. Tires that are great on one type of car sometimes don't work as well on others.

I called up Sears Auto on my lunch break and the gentleman on the phone suggested Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and stated a price of $127/tire after rebate. He said to come in after I got off to purchase the tires and they would have them shipping in the next day or two to install this weekend.

...I drive to the same Sears on my way home from work, wait for 1/2 hour to talk to a representative and he says "Oh, yes, the guy you talked to on the phone tried to call you back and tell you he made a mistake, those tires are on 3 months backorder." I never received a phone call from anyone at Sears. To make a long story short I ask him to tell me my other options and after checking in the computer he said "Sorry Sir, but we do not have any tires in stock in that size. Can you leave your phone # and we will see tomorrow what we can find for you." Does Sears know how to run a business? A tire shop that doesn't carry tires or can't order for you in a reasonable time-frame?

Needless to say I will be shopping elsewhere...

So the MXV4 are nowhere to be had. Another tire shop which gave me the $110 Continental tire and $105 Michelin prices also told me the MXV4 was "discontinued." Seems like Michelin can't make those fast enough.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
I called to reconfirm the price on the $105.99 Michelin A/S tire and they mentioned that there is also a $70 M.I.R.

So 4 tires at $105.99 = $423.96 - $ 70MIR = $353.96 compared to $444 for the Continentals. The Michelin deal is almost too good to pass up but I also feel like the $90 difference will be nothing as I think the Continental would have longer treadlife.

I scheduled an appointment to have tires installed Thursday night..I have a few days to sleep on it.

Last edited:
Have you checked Discount Tire Direct for the Primacys?

I put a set of them on my wifes Camry last fall after she complained about the MXV4 S8s that came on her car.

The Primacys are an outstanding tire. Top notch wet traction,and surprisingly good in snow.

I leafed through the November 2012 issue of Consumer Reports, and saw the Michelin and Continental both top-rated in their tire test. I think the Continental PureContact will be the next tire on the Cruze, since it got top marks when tested on CR's Cruze test vehicle. That, and the Continentals on the Fit have been pretty good tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back