Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive vs Continental PureContact LS

My research is just about done!
Has anyone had any experience with both of these tires?
Tires will go on a 2018 Camry LE.
The tires are going to get a lot of highway driving on many very long trips over the next few years.
I became interested in the Goodyear after reading some reviews on how smooth it was on highway driving.
I’m not interested in any other tires.
I’ve researched this until my brain got fried and my eyes hurt lol.
Thanks for any input!

I got ~40,000 miles out of the set of PureContracts I had, 100 miles a day, mostly interstate commute.

I honestly wasn't especially impressed with them as a touring tire; dry and wet traction was adequate, snow traction was bad, they wore more quickly than expected, and as they accumulated time and miles they ended up being pretty loud.

That said, shopping Continentals against Goodyears is...different.

Don't have the Goodyears but have the have the Conti's pure lx on both my Caddy and Buick. They are ok in the dry but wet they seem to hydroplane in heavy rain and light rain are just ok.. In any snow be it light or heavy they suck!! Won't purchase them again.

Just saw that 14.1 grms posted the same results.

I had three sets of the predecessor to the Goodyear ComfortDrive (which was called the ComfortTred).
I was happy enough with them to buy three sets. I'd never bought three sets of anything before (or since).
They had a nice ride, good treadwear, and were plenty tolerant of neglect (not being rotated on time).

TireRack hasn't compared them directly but both have been compared against the CC2s and the Contis seem to have an edge in ride quality and road noise.

ComfortDrive: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=283
PureContact LS: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=289

Side note but the PureContact LS are quite old now no? I believe they were released in 2018 while the GY ComfortDrives came out in 2021. The new Pirelli P7 AS+3 seem to be very refined but at the cost of wet traction

Not sure how you arrived at those 2 but if only choosing from those 2 options I'd go the goodyears..
The contis are an old model and not the best.

BUT Since I cant help myself with tires..
the ones I'd be buying:
1st choice
CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT TOUR

2nd choice.

MICHELIN DEFENDER2​

Not sure how you arrived at those 2 but if only choosing from those 2 options I'd go the goodyears..
The contis are an old model and not the best.

BUT Since I cant help myself with tires..
the ones I'd be buying:
1st choice
CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT TOUR

2nd choice.

MICHELIN DEFENDER2​

Guess neither tire will work with my Speed Rated V Camry.
Called Continental today and was told for my Camry, I need to stay with a V rated tire, or the handling will be off.

Called Continental today and was told for my Camry, I need to stay with a V rated tire, or the handling will be off.
Did you mention the alternative size comes with H rated tires? you just got a phone bozo.
Also the speed rating doesn't directly relate to handling.

You dont ask will the tires be ok.. you tell the tire shop I want these tires.

Edit:
you appear to be wrong.. These are available in V. Barely any difference from H.. possibly wear slightly faster, and ride firmer.
GOODYEAR ASSURANCE COMFORTDRIVE
1712879993132.jpg

You probably won't notice any difference, but most tire shops won't install tires with a lower speed rating than OE.

and on my scion tc they come with z-rated tires!! (zw actually).. um.. I don't think the speedometer even is capable of what a z-rated (w) is!! But.. I do concede that the stiff sidewall is what they're probably going for.. That's associated with the higher speeds. You could put an H-rated and never notice the difference, might ride a little less "firm". I was only laughing at your comment because of my tC (which has the camry engine) and it's tire requirements.. :LOL:

Did you mention the alternative size comes with H rated tires? you just got a phone bozo.
Also the speed rating doesn't directly relate to handling.

You dont ask will the tires be ok.. you tell the tire shop I want these tires.

Edit:
you appear to be wrong.. These are available in V. Barely any difference from H.. possibly wear slightly faster, and ride firmer.
GOODYEAR ASSURANCE COMFORTDRIVE
View attachment 213693
I was referring to the two tires you suggested.

I was referring to the two tires you suggested.
Oh I misread your response.
H rated was fine in a 16" wheel with a bigger sidewall not causing any "handling off" issues..
so why would a 17" H rated tire cause that...

In fact if you really wanted a good riding tire for long trips you would be better off with a 16" wheel and more sidewall.

I had a set of Conti PureContact LS on a Honda Accord. They performed well, handled well, and were quiet. They were not great in the snow, but were better than the Michelin all seasons that I had before that. They are being discontinued.

My current cars have General 365AW and Michelin CC2s. The 365AW is a bit worse than the Purecontact LS, but way better in snow and ice. The CC2 are just superb, the best tires I have ever owned. They were worth the extra money.

Back