tire with softer ride in 45 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take a look at Hankook. Either the V2 or the V4, both nice riding tires. No experience with the KH16 but I had ASXs on the G5 in 205/50R17 and the ride was brutal. The difference in the 215/50R17s V2s is like night and day. I loved the V4s on the G6 too, it has V2s now as well. The biggest difference I have noticed in the two is the V2 may give up a little in grip for the higher tread wear rating but not much. I will buy either again.

I've put almost 6k miles on a set in the past 3 months and they have been awesome. Probably more satisfied folks who are less likely to write a review than those who are unhappy with them.

Plus, your Conti dealer will adjust them if there are real issues with the tires.

Originally Posted By: tcmo
Thanks for the replies. Hyundai factory 16" rims are hard to find locally. Conti DWS are an option but I read so many internet stories of bulging sidewalls and poor quality control from Continental.

When I first read the title, I thought the OP was joking. You can't get a soft ride with 45s. Low profile tires are popular for they're better handling, cornering, and steering response.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
When I first read the title, I thought the OP was joking. You can't get a soft ride with 45s. Low profile tires are popular for they're better handling, cornering, and steering response.

Absolutely not true. I own a full size luxury sedan equipped from the factory with 245/45/20 tires. Rides nicely.

I have run 275/40/20 and now am using 275/35/20 and still have an excellent ride quality.

If your car is properly set up for them low profile rubber can still deliver a good smooth ride.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Absolutely not true. I own a full size luxury sedan equipped from the factory with 245/45/20 tires. Rides nicely.

I have run 275/40/20 and now am using 275/35/20 and still have an excellent ride quality.

If your car is properly set up for them low profile rubber can still deliver a good smooth ride.

Yes, but I will add that it is realative and subjective, each persons ride quality criteria will be different. And yes, typically a low profile tire is going to ride firmer than something with a higher aspect ratio. That doesn't eliminate differences in tires though. You can get better ride quality or performance characteristics from different tires of the same size, be that a 45 or an 85.

While I don't doubt what you are saying Steve, I do doubt that an SRT8 is comparable to the OP's Elantra in regards to suspension tuning. I know I wouldn't call the ride in my G5 "smooth" but far better than it was on different tires.

I was looking for a "softer" ride than the Kumhos. I know 45 series tires will ride harder than higher profiles. I purchased Nitto Motivos and they do ride "not as hard" as the KH16s. Much quieter and handle as well also. Don't know about rain handling yet.

Sounds like a good choice then! Hope they work out well for you.

thumbsup2.gif

Depending on sidewall construction and design, some low profile tires are a little softer running than others. But everything else being equal, it is usually harder to get the same comfort level with a lower profile tire than with others. So I agree with you in the abstract. A 75 series should be more comfortable than a 35.

But cars that are well-designed for low profile tires tune the suspension elsewhere to accommodate them. Spring rates, shock/strut tuning, and even bushing compliance, all play a part in damping impacts before they reach the chassis. The 35s on the back of our SL ride more comfortably than the 60s on our other car because of that overall excellent suspension engineering.

Conversely, if I dial in the "advanced" track suspension setting on our R, it had better be on a glass smooth roadway, as you can feel the specks of dust on it. That's the price for no-compromise grip and response.

I can't speak about "45s" but I have found Conti Ecocontacts are a good compromise between slip angle and ride quality, at least in 60 series. Tread depth, wheel width, and wven wheel weight have an eggect.

I have Bridgestone Turanza Serenity 235-45-17 on my VW and absoluely no complaint, ride is comfortable and smooth. One of the best touring tires on the market you can ask for.

Car placard recommends 32 psi. I put in 32 psi in P-metric tire (factory KH16). Euro-metric tire (Motivo) needs 34 psi to have the same load capability as a P-metric tire at 32 psi.

I've this entire thread. Whoever said (way back) you will get a softer ride by lowering tire pressure and the just previous post, need to be careful.

It doesn't quite work that way. There is a great temptation to go too low. Tires perform best at their mid to upper recommended pressure. If the ride is not satisfactory, change size or tires (the OP's point), don't screw around with pressure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tcmo
Thanks for the replies. Hyundai factory 16" rims are hard to find locally. Conti DWS are an option but I read so many internet stories of bulging sidewalls and poor quality control from Continental.

The bulging sidewalls are because this tire is made to be lighter than its competitors, and they do that by reducing the amount of plies in the sidewall. It also softens up the ride. You just have to be very cautious or hitting anything in the road.

I was going to put them on my Audi with 235/45/17s, but I hit a pothole with a ContiPro Contact and blew out the sidewall. Don't think I'll ever go with Contis again for the thin sidewall reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back