DWS06 + in the snow

I'm pondering these tires for my accent. Before you tell me I know I don't need an "ultra high performance all season". But I'm trying to avoid having 2 sets of winter wheels and tires. My wifes accent will have a set of 15" aluminum wheels with dedicated snows. But I'm toying with the idea of having 1 tire year round on my car. I want more than your standard all season.

The problem i have is the 205/45-17 tires size is kind of odd. It must match some sort of sports car because there are many performance tires in this size. Really no all weathers available which is what I'd really like to have. Which leads me to the DWS06+. They seem to be a good compromise of year round performance. Of course no where near a dedicated snow but I'm ok with that as long as they are better than your average commuter all season.

Any feedback on these tires in the snow?
Don't do it ! The accent is a light car and with that size of tire it will be horrible in snow.
I had a vibe with 215 45 17 dedicated snow tires it was useless in snow and a death trap on slush.

No car with decent winter tires is useless in the snow, in my experience.
What tires did you have?

Krzyś
BF goodrich.
you try it and let me know 205 45 17 on a hyundai accent will be terrible in snow and on all seasons for get it.
We have a 14 accent on 185 65 14 michelin x-ice winters it does okay with these.

Don't do it ! The accent is a light car and with that size of tire it will be horrible in snow.
I had a vibe with 215 45 17 dedicated snow tires it was useless in snow and a death trap on slush.
This is the stock tire size for the car. My wife drove this last winter on the stock Continental ProContact TX and they were decent enough. And this was probably the worst winter snow wise I can remember in my adult life.

Just looking for more than an economy tire to gain some more control.

BF goodrich.
you try it and let me know 205 45 17 on a hyundai accent will be terrible in snow and on all seasons for get it.
We have a 14 accent on 185 65 14 michelin x-ice winters it does okay with these.
I never tried winter BF Goodrich. Which model?
Maybe you should try Michelin X-ice Snow, Continental Viking Contact 7 or Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 and then tell us how any light vehicle works in the snow?

Krzyś

PS Currently BFGoodrich has no winter tires.

They list "All-Weather" but they are their off road LT tires.

BF goodrich.
My son has a 2010 Forte with 195-65-15 Viking Contact 7's for winter. Internet shows curb weight is 28 lbs more. He took it out in all the snows, I thought it worked well. He picked up his friends for class in the icy parking lot when their Subaru on all seasons and Wrangler on AT's couldn't get out of the parking space.

They list as being .39" narrower than the stock Accent, and .78" less than the upgraded 215 size.

Here is my thought. If you like the ratings on the DWS-06+, try them. Be careful in the first snow. If you don't like them you can always get some cheap 15" steel and hubcaps with some good winters on them. 1-2 winters of use and hopefully accident avoidance and probably still less than insurance deductible.

Winter tires don't defy physics but it's NICE not being white knuckled driving when it get cold/snowy/icy. Pay attention to everyone else and leave lots of room to react to their inability to stop/turn/start.

I never tried winter BF Goodrich. Which model?
Maybe you should try Michelin X-ice Snow, Continental Viking Contact 7 or Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 and then tell us how any light vehicle works in the snow?

Krzyś

PS Currently BFGoodrich has no winter tires.

They list "All-Weather" but they are their off road LT tires.
We have x-ice on my wife's accent in 185-65-14. its pretty good with these ,
with 205- 45 -17 i really don't care what brand you use it will not be that good in snow and terrible in slush.
As i stated before our vibe with 215-45 17 was terrible in snow and slush

Vredestein Hypertrac All Season or Toyo Celsius :)

Something with a 3-peak symbol will be better in snow than the DWS06. These are often called all-weather tires, and the two I mentioned are the only ones available in your size 205/45-17

I'm pondering these tires for my accent. Before you tell me I know I don't need an "ultra high performance all season". But I'm trying to avoid having 2 sets of winter wheels and tires. My wifes accent will have a set of 15" aluminum wheels with dedicated snows. But I'm toying with the idea of having 1 tire year round on my car. I want more than your standard all season.

The problem i have is the 205/45-17 tires size is kind of odd. It must match some sort of sports car because there are many performance tires in this size. Really no all weathers available which is what I'd really like to have. Which leads me to the DWS06+. They seem to be a good compromise of year round performance. Of course no where near a dedicated snow but I'm ok with that as long as they are better than your average commuter all season.

Any feedback on these tires in the snow?
My worn out Nokian WR series(winter rated all seasons) were vastly superior than brand new tires like that Conti DWS in snow.

They are usable in a few inches of snow is about it. This was on a Subaru too similar size.

My worn out Nokian WR series(winter rated all seasons) were vastly superior than brand new tires like that Conti DWS in snow.

They are usable in a few inches of snow is about it. This was on a Subaru too similar size.
Nokian WR is pretty much snow tire.
on other side they are nowhere close in performance to DWS in dry or wet.

Circling back on this topic. It seems likely that I'll do what I was trying to avoid and buy a second set of 15" Konigs and some Blizzak WS90's. It will be a little bit of a pain to store 2 sets of wheels year round and to have to swap sets for both cars. But I'm thinking I'll be happy with the decision deep into winter.

The other option is I take the 15" Konig control's for my car and put Nokian WRG4's on there. Then i will put Blizzak LM-60's on the 17's for my wife to use in the winter. Main concern there is that she doesn't have a single bone in her body that has a sense to avoid potholes.

Last edited:
They get decent reviews from what I recall as a better than regular all seasons.

Upgrade to 215-45-17 which should clear as they are .4" taller and .4" wider and probably listed on the forums as something others have done. Lots of All Weather choices in that including Nokian WRG4, Michelin CC2, Toyo Celsius, General Altimax 365AW, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Vredestein Quatrac
Same size as my Scion tc tires. 2005-2010.

Circling back on this topic. It seems likely that I'll do what I was trying to avoid and buy a second set of 15" Konigs and some Blizzak WS90's. It will be a little bit of a pain to store 2 sets of wheels year round and to have to swap sets for both cars. But I'm thinking I'll be happy with the decision deep into winter.

The other option is I take the 15" Konig control's for my car and put Nokian WRG4's on there. Then i will put Blizzak LM-60's on the 17's for my wife to use in the winter. Main concern there is that she doesn't have a single bone in her body that has a sense to avoid potholes.
two sets are best way to go.

I found my Blizzaks to wear faster than others, more spongy, drastic drop in performance at the 6/32" MUlticell wearing off. Normally a bit high on price. They were the WS80 I think not the performance LM's

I like the VikingContact 7's better (and the older WinterContact Si. I'd like to try the X-ice Snow next round depending costs and reviews at that time.

WRG4 would be good all around.

Currently 16 mounted snows in the shed, son want to get them for his Fiancé so probably 4 more coming.

The DSW06 Plus is an outstanding A/S tire. I would not advise using it on snowy roads. It's about having a tire that performs well under a large range of temperatures and a variety of road surfaces that include dry, wet, sandy, and maybe a very thin layer of slush or snow as long as there is sufficient tread of at least 1/4". For driving from the California coast through the desert and into the mountains its an ideal tire. The DSW06 Plus is great on lighter cars under 3,000 lbs. With heavier vehicles the sidewalls are not stiff enough for my taste and the tires feel a bit squirmy when pushing it. On the low-weight Mini these tires work really well for road use. They are not track tires. If I were crazy enough to take the Mini to Tahoe during the snowy season I would certainly put on snow tires and take chains. But that wouod still be crazy with only 5" of ground clearance and a ragtop.

I found my Blizzaks to wear faster than others, more spongy, drastic drop in performance at the 6/32" MUlticell wearing off. Normally a bit high on price. They were the WS80 I think not the performance LM's

I like the VikingContact 7's better (and the older WinterContact Si. I'd like to try the X-ice Snow next round depending costs and reviews at that time.

Currently 16 mounted snows in the shed, son want to get them for his Fiancé so probably 4 more coming.
The LM's don't have a dual compound tread. It's all high-silica winter compound. The LM-60 and WS-60 look exactly the same (minus the sidewall lettering of LM vs WS), but it's the tire compounds that were the difference.

I had Vikingcontact 7's on there this winter and I wasn't super impressed so we are trying something different. The WS90 seems to have done really well in testing and I'm not worried about replacing them every few years. We really only run the snows for 4 months and neither of us pile on the miles.

Back