215/60R-16 95V Michelin Primacy MXV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
First impressions.

Vehicle 1996 Acura RL3.5 Base

Prior tires Good Year Assurance 225/60/16 (incorrect size)

I was going to hold off a month or two, but Tire Rack has a $70 rebate so I figured I better get them while the getting is good.

This tire is the correct size and is the current version of the OEM tire on the Acura. The prior tires were installed by a family member prior owner based on the reviews on tire rack and size recommendation of a local chain store. (And against my recommendations)

It was raining yesterday after installation so I got the dubious honor of evaluating the wet traction as well.

Even though 2 of the wheels on this vehicle have been repaired after OEM matching all tires were balanced with less than 12LBS force variation and 1.0 OZ or less TOTAL weight.

The ride, NVH and wet traction are all much improved over the Good Year. Granted the Good Year were nearing the end of their useful life. Due to improper sizing and directional tread pattern limiting rotation options (at least that is my opinion of contributing factors) the Good Year were exhibiting odd wear and cupping, despite the cars alignment being good (only front toe required minimal adjustment).

Tire Racks service as usual was top notch.

Date code 0312 (3rd week 2012) one had a sticker from Michelin shipped it to Tire Rack indicating a receive date of 02/06/12 So they are very fresh. Can't complain there!

Also, although Tire Rack indicates this particular size is made in Canada, the tires have USA molded in.

MichelinMXV4.jpg

MichUSA.jpg

Ouch, looks like I need to do some serious wheel scrubbing!
wink.gif

Just a question regarding using TR. According to your signature you live Atlanta. There's several Discount Tire brick and mortar stores in that area. Just wondering if you considered giving them a shot at a price match/beat? They too regularly have a $70 Michlin rebate including right now.

To be clear, I've got nothing against TR, nor am I shilling for DT, if I didn't have DT stores near me I'd consider them along with Discount Tire Direct and some others. However DT has always matched or beaten any total price including shipping and TR/DTD online sales with no tax. And the service after the sale has been stellar.

All that said, glad you are satisfied with TR and your early impressions of the Primacy MXV4. Bought the same tire last year at DT for a 3.0L Accord and have been very satisfied.

There is a DT about 15 miles from me and I did price check them as well as BJ wholesale.

However, in all honesty the only two places that were ever under serious consideration were TR and the Dealer that I used to work at "back in the day". Had I purchased the tires elsewhere I would have taken them to the dealer to be installed anyway.

I'm glad you've had good service from yours.

I bought the Primacy as well and am pleased. I also had the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds. On the Comfortreds, I had cracking on mine pretty early into ownership. The Tire store prorated them for me, but did you have any early cracking on your tires?
I bought from Discount Tire and they did fine plus at the end of the month Michelin sometimes has a 60 or $70 gift card and or rebate. And I got the giftcard within 2-3 weeks.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I bought the Primacy as well and am pleased. I also had the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds. On the Comfortreds, I had cracking on mine pretty early into ownership. The Tire store prorated them for me, but did you have any early cracking on your tires?
I bought from Discount Tire and they did fine plus at the end of the month Michelin sometimes has a 60 or $70 gift card and or rebate. And I got the giftcard within 2-3 weeks.

These were actually "Tripletread" they were installed in 2006 (I actually didn't realize they were that old) and at 96,000 miles. So they had about 46,000 miles, they were not worn completely out but were only about 1/32 over the TWI in the center. Wet handling as I said had degraded noticeably. I did not note any severe cracking although they certainly showed some signs of aging. Once I saw the center of the tread I didn't scrutinize them that closely though.

Last edited:
The, 215-60-16 tires is the particular size that CR Mag tested on IIRC, the Chevy Malibu and the Primacy MXV-4 were the highest rated in that group. That size is also the standard/stock size on Nissan Altima's before moving up to 17" option.

I'm sure that the Michelin in that size will do well on your RL although I am fond of the 225-60-16 size especially for a car of that weight. I almost went with the 225's on my Altima.

Have not driven this much (company truck been busy) but it just got its first fill up that was run on the MXV4's. We will see if the trend continues, but this car has consistently returned 18-18.2 MPG (doesn't matter how or where it is driven).

This tank was 19.4. Might be something to the GreenX thing...
confused2.gif

I too am looking for some 215/60/16's for our 07 Sonata. My first choice was the Michelin Pilot Exalto's. How do the Primacy's compare to the Exalto's?

Thats the same size Primacy we have on my wife's Camry. I was driving her car today and was reminded how much I love these tires. They're very smooth,very quiet,and have excellent traction in wet weather. They're actually pretty darn good in the snow as well.

the pilot series is their sport series
the exalto is near the bottom of that.

the primacy is their premium regular car line.

I'd say the primacy's you have a better chance of being fully satisfied.

The energy series is their budget line.

(my words/impression/opinion)

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Have not driven this much (company truck been busy) but it just got its first fill up that was run on the MXV4's. We will see if the trend continues, but this car has consistently returned 18-18.2 MPG (doesn't matter how or where it is driven).

This tank was 19.4. Might be something to the GreenX thing...
confused2.gif

Another tank, 19.4...

These now have around 2000 miles on them. I continue to be impressed with their performance and ride. Obviously I don't drive the car a great deal, particularly during this time of year, but when I do!

Took a trip yesterday, this tank consisted of about 40 miles of mostly US highway and an interstate trip at about 75 MPH to the north GA mountains with a 22.15 mile per gallon consumption. This is an all time high for my ownership of this car.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The, 215-60-16 tires is the particular size that CR Mag tested on IIRC, the Chevy Malibu and the Primacy MXV-4 were the highest rated in that group. That size is also the standard/stock size on Nissan Altima's before moving up to 17" option.

I apologize for missing this earlier:

Were the Altimas "H" or "V" rated, I'm wondering if these are OEM on anything.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I'm sure that the Michelin in that size will do well on your RL although I am fond of the 225-60-16 size especially for a car of that weight. I almost went with the 225's on my Altima.

Some of the later 1st gen RLs came with slightly wider wheels and ran a 225/55/16 stock. I think 225's is pushing it on the 6" wheel I have.

I've been impressed enough with these that its a very strong probability that the Civic is getting a set at the 100,000 mile service.

Not to confuse things as I don't have MXV4's.

Thanks for your responce. Better late than never:LOL
smile.gif

Yes, I understand. A 6.0" wheel is a little narrow for a 225!

Altimas' actually use 16"...T or H rated Continental ProContact tires OE! I stayed with "Ts" for my replacement and went with Pirelli P4's

Usually a 225mm fits best on NO LESS THAN a 6.5" wheel(7" being even better).

My OE steel wheels on my Altima are 6.5" X 16" in which I could have gone with the 225-60-16 but, stayed with 205-65-16(both being the same "OD") I would have gone with the P4's on this car in either size(just my choice at that time)...and I do have 225-55-17(Good/Year Eagle LS in "T") on a set of summer aluminum 7" X 17" wheels for this Altima

Originally Posted By: Rand
the pilot series is their sport series
the exalto is near the bottom of that.

the primacy is their premium regular car line.

I'd say the primacy's you have a better chance of being fully satisfied.

The energy series is their budget line.

(my words/impression/opinion)

I have the exaltos onmy BMW with almost 60,000 miles. They still have 5/32s tread. However the tires are at least 5 years old and the rubber is getting harder. They will be replaced by the primacy next spring when I remove my winter tires. I thisnk the primacy will ride a bit smoother and quieter. Just my experience.

I have Michelin Primacy MXV4s, 205/65-16,on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Fuel economy has dropped about 10% since they were installed. Used to average 27mpg, now the car averages about 24.5mpg under the same exact driving conditions/patterns. Kind of disappointing, but the Michelin's performance is overall impressive so far (only have 1,200 miles on the Michelins at this point.)

Interesting:

The 205/65-16 does not appear to be a "Green X" size.

I guess I will get to compare a non green X tires relative performance on my Civic.

Honda dealer called and my LX wheels and covers are in so the next $70.00 rebate on them Tire Rack throws out there I will get another set.

So these now have 23,855 miles on them, they have been rotated at each oil change and are now at 8/32.

They have done rain, snow, ice and 100 degree days with no complaints and are wearing evenly and maintain balance.

Absolutely no complaints.

Thanks for the update! I have my first experience with the OE Primacy MXV4 on the 2015 Altima in my signature. I like their smooth, quiet operation thus far! But, I've only had the car ~3 weeks!

They'd be expensive to replace in the 215-55-17 that came on this car so, I'll probably look elsewhere when it's time to replace them(if they're even around then). Could be with the Cooper CS5's but, time will tell and what other tires are available then(couple of years or longer!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back