tire suggestion for new to me truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. It has been a while. I just got a new to me truck, 2008 Chevy Silverado LT 4x4 with 20 inch wheels. I am looking into some new tires. It has Goodyear Eagle on now. They have a smooth ride but just do not do the truck justice. Was looking at Cooper Zeon LTZ possibly. Anyone have these or any other suggestions. Looking for an All Terrain tire. 275/55 R20 Thanks.

I have been impressed with the Michelin LTX MS/2 tires in that size. I installed a set on my FX4 and after 24K miles on them, I am still singing their praises (and I never have been a Michelin guy in the past).

If interested, you can see my post about them here -- Michelin LTX MS/2

Michelin also makes an A/T2 tire in a more aggressive tread -- MS/2 and A/T2

Hope this helps!

In an all terrain flavor in that size (available anyways), I am presently running the Firestone Destination AT and am pleased. We also use them in our truck fleet at work and are generally pleased with the combination of price, tire wear, and all around traction. I've also ran the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's before, and think they are also a good tire, but more recently have been less willing to cough up the money for them.

The LTX MS2 is also an excellent tire if you are willing to not get AT tires.

Thanks guys. I am looking for something with some aggressivness to them but will still give a decent highway ride.The Coopers that I mentioned I can get for about 232 per tire. That is mounted and balanced.

Vance1, you definitely need to shop more!

Check Discount tires direct online and please consider the LTX MS2 and AT2 from Michelin. I have dozens on fleet trucks and they are an amazing tire for performance AND longevity.

The Zeon LTZs get excellent reviews. The AT/3s are slightly cheaper, and are also rated well. There's a few decent AT tires in the low $200-range in that size.

Yes. It is a lot for a tire. I like the 20 inch rims though. I guess it is time to start saving for them. I wish I could find a good used set. I will keep an eye out while I am saving for the new ones. Thanks for everybody's comments.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
In an all terrain flavor in that size (available anyways), I am presently running the Firestone Destination AT and am pleased. We also use them in our truck fleet at work and are generally pleased with the combination of price, tire wear, and all around traction. I've also ran the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's before, and think they are also a good tire, but more recently have been less willing to cough up the money for them.

The LTX MS2 is also an excellent tire if you are willing to not get AT tires.

+1

Originally Posted By: vance1
Hi guys. It has been a while. I just got a new to me truck, 2008 Chevy Silverado LT 4x4 with 20 inch wheels. I am looking into some new tires. It has Goodyear Eagle on now. They have a smooth ride but just do not do the truck justice. Was looking at Cooper Zeon LTZ possibly. Anyone have these or any other suggestions. Looking for an All Terrain tire. 275/55 R20 Thanks.

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo2
Firestone Destination AT( $70 rebate on set of 4 currently )

EDIT - almost forgot. If you like Cooper tires then check out Mastercraft. They are made by Cooper and are pretty much the same tires for less money. No direct cross over to the Zeon LTZ's but they do have a Courser AXT that might interest you?

Oh, and BTW, you do realize that the Zeon LTZ tire is not an All Terrain right? It is a cross between an AT and a Sport Truck tread. They are ok off road but nothing special.

Last edited:
I know. I just like the look. I am not a big mud bug. I just like to have in case I might need it, or might want to use it. Ha. I will check out the other tires that were mentioned as well. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Cooper AT3 is available in that size.. seems to be what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I know. I just like the look. I am not a big mud bug. I just like to have in case I might need it, or might want to use it. Ha. I will check out the other tires that were mentioned as well. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

The Zeon LTZ's are not very good in mud so definitely stay out of it( will be worse with a wide 20 like you are running ). If you are not going to off road and you don't have serious winter weather to deal with then why go the AT route? With fuel so expensive just for looks seems foolish to me( not meant offensive ). You can see 2-3 MPG's lost by going to aggressive tires on trucks. Add in that these are big 20's that will weigh a lot and it is even worse.

Sounds to me like you need a good AS tire like the Firestone Destination LE/LE2, General Grabber HTS, or the Michelin LTX M+S/M+S2. I think they would serve your needs much better. If you are set on AT's though then good luck with your search.

The Nitto CrossTeks looks fairly aggressive for a highway tire. I know what the OP means though -- "A/T tires look good on trucks". I'd also much prefer the look of them on my Jeep vs the very wimpy OE Lattitude tires. However, there's a trade off in MPG, and often treadwear.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
The Nitto CrossTeks looks fairly aggressive for a highway tire. I know what the OP means though -- "A/T tires look good on trucks". I'd also much prefer the look of them on my Jeep vs the very wimpy OE Lattitude tires. However, there's a trade off in MPG, and often treadwear.

I know what the OP means too but with gas at $4 not $1.50 unless you are loaded it is foolish to do it just for looks( again not meant offensive ). AS tires can look good on a truck too. The Firestone Destination LE's have a nice aggressive pattern for an AS. I always thought they looked good on the trucks I had them on...

fs_destination_le_owl_1000.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

I just dont understand why I stopped coming to BITOG for advice. I love this site. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. No, I am not loaded. MPG's are a concern but it is not a dailey driver. I have a issued work car but I am all for saving money. The 20's came stock on the truck as an option. The goodyears that are on it now are very smooth riding but I just like the all terrain look. I love the pics. Anybody know anywhere online that sell used tires? I have found a couple but not very many.

I just dont understand why I stopped coming to BITOG for advice. I love this site. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. No, I am not loaded. MPG's are a concern but it is not a dailey driver. I have a issued work car but I am all for saving money. The 20's came stock on the truck as an option. The goodyears that are on it now are very smooth riding but I just like the all terrain look. I love the pics. Anybody know anywhere online that sell used tires? I have found a couple but not very many.

Ah, not your daily driver. That is different. In that case if you can afford the price difference in the tires( AS vs AT's )and MPG is not really a problem then go for the looks and get what makes you happy. Try looking at ProComp and Mickey Thompson tires too.

As far as finding used tires I doubt you will have much luck finding the ones you want. The reason being most people selling truck tires like that are selling off the junk OE tires their vehicles came with because they bought a quality aftermarket tire to replace them. Once in a while you find a good aftermarket tire like the Zeon LTZ up for sale from someone changing sizes or who is selling their truck and kept the stock rims and tires to put back on but not often. You can find them certainly but I would say 85%+ are actually OEM tires being sold used.

Again, most used tires will be OE issue tires being sold by someone who replaced them with good tires. Like the Ram and Silverado in my photos above. Sold the awful OE tires( Goodyear Wrangler HP - Ram / Goodyear Wrangler ST - Silverado )shortly after buying the trucks to replace with a quality tire. Oh, I forgot this earlier. The Ram shown above has 275/60R20's btw just to give you an idea of what those LE's look like in 20's on a FS truck. The Silverado has 265/70R17's.

Your best bet to find used is to look on Craig's List, check out the many GM and Dodge full size truck forums( 275/55R20's came OE on Ram's and GM FS trucks and SUV's ), and you can also check E-Bay.

Last edited:

Don't buy used tires online, new tires may be. If you have Discount Tires in your area, call each of them to see if they have used tires in your size, then go there to check for conditions before buying it.

Goodyear Duratrac - BEST tire I've ever had bar-none, and we've had them all.

No, I have not lost any mpg, in fact, I gained some back versus the previous Revo's that were on the truck....these tires ride very smooth and are incredible in everything.

10-2011003.jpg

10-2011002.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back