Michelin tires with cracks and only 7k miles on them - safe to use?

I'm surprised they aren't flat spotted too. If it was my car, I would probably replace them. If the car has a spare, I might chance it, but I don't think a Bolt comes with one.

Maybe it's the luck of the draw, Goodyear and Firestone have been good for me.
Same - cracking or chipping on gravel roads. While I know they make great tires - have not replaced Mich with Mich - but would if I drove lots of miles per year - I just don’t …

Last edited:
I will replace them. I just got a set of 4 new Continental tires delivered.

The GM dealer actually gave me $600 credit for the tires after I pressed him on it.
If I wanted the same “eco” rated tires from Michelin, they are $250 each!!! Crazy! These are smallish 17” tires.

Not buying these Michelin tires ever again. Their traction is poor even in dry. And all these cracks - not encouraging.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve had mixed results with Michelin tires over the years. Some were good and lasted well (LTX2 on our Lexus GX were great)… some were extremely poor tires for the $$$ they cost.

Wouldn’t the fact this car needed a new battery at 7k miles and that it took TWO YEARS to get a replacement be a bigger red flag than tires?

I’d put some Linglongs or Westlakes on it so when you have to park it in another 7k miles you don’t ruin another set of expensive tires.
Are you familiar with the Chevy Bolt battery issues? GM issued a massive battery recall after 4-5 cars caught fire while charging. They had to replace the Lithium battery pack on ALL Chevy Bolts (‘17-20) with a brand new, updated, larger LG battery pack.
That’s a lot of cars. With Covid and all, it took a couple of years before every owner could get a new battery. Some cars were bought back by GM and were sitting on their lots for a long time before new battery packs were installed and the cars were listed for sale again.

My Bolt is one of these cars. GM bought it back from first owner who did not want to deal with the recall and the wait. Car has only 7k miles. The lithium battery is brand new as of August 2023. And i got the car for only $17k, vs $40k on the original sticker. And yes, it came with bad, cracked tires. 😌

I will replace them. I just got a set of 4 new Continental tires delivered.

The GM dealer actually gave me $600 credit for the tires after I pressed him on it.
If I wanted the same “eco” rated tires from Michelin, they are $250 each!!! Crazy! These are smallish 17” tires.

Not buying these Michelin tires ever again. Their traction is poor even in dry. And all these cracks - not encouraging.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve had mixed results with Michelin tires over the years. Some were good and lasted well (LTX2 on our Lexus GX were great)… some were extremely poor tires for the $$$ they cost.
Agree with your choice. While they didn’t have to, that was nice of the dealer to do. Personally, I wouldn’t want the dealer to take it back and put “new” tires on them, because I’ll have more choices on my own.

I remember the Michelin - PAX disaster well. I had a 2006 Odyssey. I am so glad I did not buy one with the PAX! I used to buy Michelin truck tires but I won't ever buy any Michelin tire again.

Dot is 2014 or 2016 ? If yes, change the tires. 10 year tire? I’m changing tires when reaching 5 years, that’s the rubber it’s getting old especially and at high speed is dangerous. But if it’s a beater for city driving I cannot see the problem. Talking about tires all we thinking that top brand tire is lasting forever:)

Wrong. Those tires look terrible. I've had trailer blowouts too after running them with active sidewall cracks. 🤷‍♂️
Trailer tires are a very different animal. Often poorly made, run to overheating regularly, and generally carrying a bunch more weight.

Michelin does not cover under warranty: "Minor cosmetic ozone or weather cracking", as it is considered normal. The 10 year tire lifespan and 6 year warranty still apply.

I’ve found that Michelin tires work well, until they don’t. I worked for a Michelins retailer, years ago (I worked in the car biz, in dealer and independent service, and dealer parts departments for over 40 years), they and other tire makers won’t cover any sort of defects after a certain number of years- there is a ‘shelf life’ for tires- also other rubber components- timing belts are one rather notable item. I saw more ‘age-checking’ cracks in Michelin branded tires, than any other- and I worked for Dunlop, Goodyear and Bridgestone, too. I use Hankook, Pirelli and Continental tires, on all my cars and trucks. They have had the least problems and best performances, and that is just my experience, both personally and professionally. Everyone has their own experience and viewpoint, though.

Years ago had O.E.M GOODYEAR tire for a YARIS do that . Not likely to buy GOODYEAR .
So in the last several years the product hasn't improved and they are making the same exact tires you had issues with?

The logic on this board (others have had your thoughts) are nonsensical.

I've never had a Michelin dry rot, meanwhile every other brand I've had has dry rotted. Funny how people's experience can differ so markedly.

Reactions: hrv
This looks very similar to the Michelin cracks on my tire. I wonder if the "Green" tread compound formulation is a contributing factor...

Michelin really needs to address what needs to be changed in their chemistry to slow these cracks. As others have mentioned, I'm shopping for a new set of tires right now and will not pay the premium price for Michelin's this time around.

I wonder if Michelin has the same tread cracking showing up in their other brand of tires, i.e. the B.F. Goodrich and Uniroyal tires?

While I use Michelin on one vehicle I own, I think that the cracking may have been an issue before the Green versions. I’ve also had a set of Goodyears that cracked way early like in a couple of years. I know people that have the Defender series tires garaged with little use, and seem to have less tire cracking than those with constant sun exposure. My Continental tires have not had the cracking.

I use to use the Michelin Artic Ice X tires. They never wore out treadwise, always cracking of the sidewall. The last set I have were three years old when I got them. They no longer make the 14" size I used. Other than that good tires.....

99.5% chance you will be eating them on your dime. Ask, but I would think you will be pounding sand. Just too many years from the manufacture date to do anything. This situation has ZERO effect for me in buying Michelin's.

Hello All!

Very recently I bought this 2019 Chevy Bolt EV with only 7k miles on it. Car has been sitting at a GM dealer for at least 2 years waiting for new Lithium battery. They replaced the battery 2 months ago and the car was listed for sale.
It came with new looking Michelin tires but they have been manufactured in 2018 and likely because they were not driven much, 3 of the 4 tires have visible cracks close to the thread area. See picture.

I am thinking that these tires need to be replaced ASAP, however a local tire shop told me that these look like “surface cracks” and should not be high risk. Common issue with Michelin tires but they should be safe for awhil
Never mind ...
Never buy michelin's unless you do heavy driving so that they would wear out within 3 years and don't have a chance to deteriorate

If you can't see belts through any of the cracks, you're probably fine. Almost every tire i see here in Arizona has some sidewall cracks after a few months if you look close enough. Big cracks are bad

I have had Michelin tires over the years and never been impressed with them, you a lot for the name but the name for me is not worth 10c. Since the shenanigans and outright lies they pulled with Honda I will never buy another Michelin tire, they are far from being a reputable company IMO.

This is exactly why I will never again purchase Michelin tires. I had to junk a set on my F-150 that were not even half worn down. No warranty from Michelin.
I now use Continental and they are excellent.
I have Michelins on our 2019 Q5 and I am not impressed, they seem to be wearing much faster in 20k miles than the Continentals we had on our 2018 Q5 with 30k miles which we traded

Back