When re-using your oil filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
on 2 OCI's or so, do you remove the filter and dump the oil out first or do you just leave it attached?

I've been running my Pure One filters on two 4,000 mi oil changes. However I usually don't remove the filter and dump the oil oil out, which I know keeps some of the old stuff in there, but it's a minimal amount (like an ounce). Does that hurt anything?

My guess is no, but I'm bored so I figured I'd post and ask.

thanks!

And difficult to get enough oil out of it to make any difference anyway between the ADBV and the media being saturated with oil.

Sometimes I removed the filter to dump old oil in the filter out also some old oil came out from the filter mounting on the engine, the total old oil came out is more like 8-12 oz. Sometimes I was lazy and left it on. I didn't have any problem with gasket after removed and reinstalled the filter.

i leave it in.
if you want to old oil to be out of the filter, let the car sit overnight and then do the oil change. Dont turn it on again. all the oil will have drained out.

I agree with Colt45. The gasket is going to be hardened at least somewhat after the first OCI, and may not want to conform to the surface when re-installed. For me, this would outweigh the few ounces of contaminated oil.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Sometimes I removed the filter to dump old oil in the filter out also some old oil came out from the filter mounting on the engine, the total old oil came out is more like 8-12 oz. Sometimes I was lazy and left it on. I didn't have any problem with gasket after removed and reinstalled the filter.

I agree, some guys here stress over getting every last drop of oil out while doing an oil change. I've read about people letting it drain overnight, others pouring clean oil through the engine as a chaser to try to get all the dirty oil out. Others have even started the engine and ran it dry for a few seconds to try to get all the oil out. I wonder if these are the same guys using the filter twice and not removing it to drain it, to get all the dirty oil out?
21.gif

In my Saturn I just leave the old filter on and do the rest of the oil change. I have been using Pureone cartridge filters and figure they can handle 2 4,000 mile oci pretty easily.

As the majority recommend, best practice, leave the filter on. Always a chance the mounting gasket is compromised enough with initial installation and use, to make a second installation problematic.

That said, I'm running a 3323 Bosch Distance Plus on a Honda two OCI's. Filter is mounted vertically thread end up, close to a low point on the engine. When the filter is loosened for oc a decent amount of oil flows out first and then there's what's left in the centertube. Easily accessed I removed filter, emptied, refilled, reoiled gasket and retightened the filter, no issues. Couldn't help myself.

One doesn't get all the oil out of the engine even with a new filter installation, and what's left in the filter isn't going to make a significant difference. So, if your going to run your P1 two oci's, best to leave the filter untouched.

I leave the oil filter in place as this isn't the only area that there is old use oil. The rest of the engine the holds oil that will never get drained either. The oil filter is just a small part of that.

I run 2 4-5K runs with Napa Platinums or AC UPF's i pull mine off and dump it then reinstall it, NEVER had a gasket leak problem.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I can't imagine removing an oil filter and not replacing it.
crazy2.gif
If your going to run it for 2 OCI's then just leave it on.

Most GM vehicles the filters right there easy with little effort,so why not?

NEVER a good idea to remove and reinstall a used oil filter. Those gaskets were NEVER intended to be used twice.

If you are going to use it for two OCIs leave it alone!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
NEVER a good idea to remove and reinstall a used oil filter. Those gaskets were NEVER intended to be used twice.

Did you miss the part that Ive never had a leak? they can be reused yes. do it all the time.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Did you miss the part that Ive never had a leak? they can be reused yes. do it all the time.

Just because you've been lucky doesn't mean others will be.

The engineers that specified those gaskets on spin ons never intended for them to be reseated again. When you have a failure on the highway at speed don't say you weren't warned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back