Can you change oil filter without draining oil?

Ever done the shop vac trick? I used it when I noticed too late that the washer had fallen off my oil pan drain bolt when installing it. Worked like a charm. Not sure if it would work on the filter but it might be worth a shot.

Ever done the shop vac trick? I used it when I noticed too late that the washer had fallen off my oil pan drain bolt when installing it. Worked like a charm. Not sure if it would work on the filter but it might be worth a shot.
What is the shop vac trick?

What is the shop vac trick?
Put a shop vac hose on the oil fill hole on the valve cover, and turn it on. The drain plug can then be removed and no oil will drain out. Search for it on YouTube.

Put a shop vac hose on the oil fill hole on the valve cover, and turn it on. The drain plug can then be removed and no oil will drain out. Search for it on YouTube.
Thanks. I now recall seeing that done somewhere and thought it was pretty neat.

When I was at PMT (Performance Monitoring Team) in the Navy, we used to deal with oil samples, etc. all the time. MOst of the US Navy training we received said that the oil filter was more important than the oil. At least on Scrubbers, burners, etc. (submarine atmpsphere control systems.)

That's why when I see people leave a filter on for two oil changes, it just goes against everything I was taught. Not saying they're wrong, just I could never........

Last edited:
I'm contemplating doing this; replacing just the oil filter on the Accord because I replaced the vtc actuator, opening timing cover to adjust the chain. Some old Hondabond adhesive, other debris fell into the oil pan, valves area, etc. Plus, I just did an oil and filter change 73 miles prior and don't want to waste the oil. On the other hand, how much of the debris will clog the filter?

I'm contemplating doing this; replacing just the oil filter on the Accord because I replaced the vtc actuator, opening timing cover to adjust the chain. Some old Hondabond adhesive, other debris fell into the oil pan, valves area, etc. Plus, I just did an oil and filter change 73 miles prior and don't want to waste the oil. On the other hand, how much of the debris will clog the filter?
If not much contamination was made doing the repair, the filter that was just put on should be fine. How long before the next OCI?

If not much contamination was made doing the repair, the filter that was just put on should be fine. How long before the next OCI?
I'm going to change oil some time in Oct. for the winter. I franken brew what is in there now (some old oil) for the summer.

I’ve done the shop vac trick taking the drain bolt off to replace a washer. Worked great. Perhaps would work for you but as someone said previously, might depend on placement location of filter.

Back