Skipping oil filter change

So I’m considering changing my engine oil filter every other oil change and like some input. So my 2021 Subaru Outback 2.5 NA averages roughly 6k miles a year. So it gets an oil change every 6 months/ 3k miles. Currently running Amsoil OE 0W20 and Amsoil EA15K13 filter. I don’t mind spending $10 every oil change for a filter so cost isn’t an issue. However I feel like I’m tossing a good filter out too early. No I’m not going run a cheaper filter. I’m sticking with the amsoil filter.

Dumping Amsoil at 3k sure seems like a waste and tossing out perfectly good oil, why not go to a one year/6k oci?
I usually run the signature line. However this outback is DI and really loves to dilute fuel. We’re talking 5% + with 2800 miles. That’s why I went with Amsoil OE which is their economy line. Comes out to about $27 a gallon. I did a 4800 mile signature run on this car and it took a beating. It barley held within 0w20 viscosity rating.

So I’m considering changing my engine oil filter every other oil change and like some input. So my 2021 Subaru Outback 2.5 NA averages roughly 6k miles a year. So it gets an oil change every 6 months/ 3k miles. Currently running Amsoil OE 0W20 and Amsoil EA15K13 filter.
Two 3K mile OCIs for 6K miles total on that oil filter is no problem. Don't remove it to drain the oil, just leave it undisturbed.

There's nothing wrong with using a filter for 6k / 1 year, regardless of the number of OCIs.

No I’m not going run a cheaper filter. I’m sticking with the amsoil filter.
That Amsoil filter has a bypass rating of 11-17 psi. The Subaru spec is 23 psi. Unless this filter has unusually low restriction, it's going to be bypassing oil quite often on a Subaru, due to the high flow oil pumps used on these cars.

If you want a filter with good efficiency that won't bypass unfiltered oil, I'd suggest the PurolatorOne PL14615 or the Purolator BOSS PBL14615. They're the only high efficiency filters I'm aware of that won't bypass on Subarus.

I usually run the signature line. However this outback is DI and really loves to dilute fuel. We’re talking 5% + with 2800 miles. That’s why I went with Amsoil OE which is their economy line. Comes out to about $27 a gallon. I did a 4800 mile signature run on this car and it took a beating. It barely held within 0w20 viscosity rating.
My vote is keep changing the filter everytime. I’d want to get as much of the diluted oil out as possible. I know we aren’t talking about much oil, but keep in mind, we aren’t talking about much money either.

If you want a filter with good efficiency that won't bypass unfiltered oil, I'd suggest the PurolatorOne PL14615 or the Purolator BOSS PBL14615.
The BOSS isn't what I would call high efficiency. Even some PureOnes aren't very efficient depending on the model number. Check the M+H Spec Sheets.

The filter can easily do anything mentioned - but with known dilution a 5W30 could be the ticket to 5k OCI’s - filter at 10k …

I don’t mind spending $10 every oil change for a filter so cost isn’t an issue. However I feel like I’m tossing a good filter out too early. No I’m not going run a cheaper filter. I’m sticking with the amsoil filter.
So what's the point of this post? You've already made up your mind.

if the gasket brittles after a year, something is very wrong.
Doesn't this industry appear to push boundaries of quality constantly? Granted, an oil filters gasket is likely cheap enough to under the penny pinchers' radar, but batch-to-batch quality undulations seem to appear everywhere.

If a filter is in place and the gasket is sound and I'm going to run it an additional OCI, I don't think breaking the seal to empty X ounces then recrushing it is the most prudent thing to do.

We inspect new filter installations for leaks. How many do we find? How many would we find if we reused the gasket?

The BOSS isn't what I would call high efficiency. Even some PureOnes aren't very efficient depending on the model number. Check the M+H Spec Sheets.
The PL14615 is rated 99% at 26 micron. The PBL14615 is 99% at 46 micron according to the spec sheets, but the test didn't seem to be based on this particular filter model.

Purolator claims 25 micron for the BOSS on their website, the Ascent test showed 34 micron, and in the Brand Ranks particle count test its performance was in the same general ballpark as the FRAM Ultra & Endurance and Royal Purple. Who knows what the efficiency of this actual filter model is, but it's probably better than the OEM filters. Tokyo Roki once claimed 99% at 50 micron for the filters they make for Subaru.

There are more efficient filters out there than the Purolators, but none of the ones that fit Subarus and have high bypass pressure ratings.

Back