COOPER: Lifeliner GLS reviews/NTB bogo tire sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at replacing my Cooper CS4's. They have been a great tire overall. I noticed NTB has a BOGO sale on tires, but only carry the Cooper Lifeliner GLS tires. Does anyone here have positive or negative review of these tires?

If I remember right thats their value series. I would expect it to be a decent tire but worse in every way than the CS4

Last edited:
Kenda is Coopers value tire. I had LL II's a few years ago, and found them comparable to the CS4. Not sure it LLII are the same as LL.

That is a good question. I have not seen LL 2's? Reviews have just been the the T rated Lifeliners. I believe the CS4's are H rated. I drive very conservatively. Just need something decent in rain and snow. CS4's are outstanding in rain.

Originally Posted By: Ojustracing
The GLS are a okay tire. Treadwear and traction are less than a CS4.

GLS are rated for 60,000 miles. My CS4's are rated the 60,000 miles treadwear. I would expect less traction in the rain.

They also have Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 and Yokohama AS530 tires. Would these be a better tire then the Cooper GLS? Wanting decent snow traction. More concerned about hydroplaning. We get more rain than snow. I prefer a softer ride. I drive like an old man...These are going on a 99 Saturn SL2.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Kenda is Coopers value tire.

I think you are misremembering.

According to Wikipedia, Cooper owns Avon tires, but not Kenda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Tires#Tire_brands

But, Cooper and Kenda tires did have a joint venture. They teamed up on a manufacturing plant in China. But, this year Kenda pulled out of the agreement, so Cooper fully owns the plant now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenda_Rubber_Industrial_Company

I actually don't think I've ever seen a Kenda car tire. according to their website they do make them. I have used Kenda tires on my bikes, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction steve. I am not up as much on value tires as perhaps I should be. A local small box retailer sells only Cooper, but picked up Kenda a few years ago. This is from where I made my incorrect conclusion.

Also I meant the cooper brand value tires..

not off brand such as mastercraft etc.

I actually had some lifeliners they were underwhelming but not bad. Actually better in the winter than cooper cobras I had

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Thanks for the correction steve. I am not up as much on value tires as perhaps I should be. A local small box retailer sells only Cooper, but picked up Kenda a few years ago. This is from where I made my incorrect conclusion.

The Kenda Kenetica was an entry level Cooper product for a while.

The Trendsetter SE is also an entry level Cooper product. The Lifeliner GLS falls between the CS4 and the Trendsetter SE and is a pretty good tire.

Last edited:
MONKEYMAN,
Were you unhappy with your experience with the CS4's?
I have read mostly good reviews on the CS4's and have friends in our circle with the CS4's and are happy.

I have had 2 sets of 4 Lifeliner GLS and was very dissapointed after about 15K-20K and personaly wouldn't change to Lifeliners from the CS4's. Although, I have not personaly had the CS4's myself, they are a tire that I would consider but not the LL's(again).

If you were happy with the CS4's, I'd stay with'em(maybe try the "T" instead of the "H" this time) or try something else entirely. Maybe the LL's have changed over the years but, they left a bad experience with me of wearing fast, uneven and lots of viberations even though my cars' allignment was correct.

The LifeLiners' low cost or BOGO, seems to draw in customers. I have never been a real big fan of Cooper tires but, the CS4's seem to have something goin' on!

You also mentioned some other BOGO tires(Sumo & Yoko) but, I have no other experience or opinion with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
MONKEYMAN,
I

No, they have been great. To me they were better in rain the Michelin HydroEdge. They balance well. This will probably be the last set of tires I get on my Saturn. Just trying to save some money without compromising ride and safety.

I always say..."Stay with what is working"!

Every time I thought I was saving money on tires, it actaually cost me more because I had to replace them sooner due to either the tires were sub standard and wore out soon or, couldn't keep'em balanced, made the car feel unstable or I just hated their performance. I don't mean "high performance"! I mean everyday performance.

The lesser expensive tires may have started out OK but, after about 8K-10K miles, it was like night & day. Just one day, they sucked!

In My Honest Opinion(IMHO) get the CS4's especially since you've had good success with'em. But, it's not my money! I understand wanting to save a buck. This is why I buy online and have the tires installed localy. Get good tires, just look for a better price.

The quote in my signature applies to trying to save a buck too!

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
MONKEYMAN,
I

No, they have been great. To me they were better in rain the Michelin HydroEdge. They balance well. This will probably be the last set of tires I get on my Saturn. Just trying to save some money without compromising ride and safety.

Last edited:
I called NTB. They were not selling Coopers for my car with the BOGO offer. Only the other brands I mentioned. The total price was a few dollars difference from the CS4's from the shop I use. I plan to stay with the CS4's. They have not let me down. I cannot say that about other tires.

I think staying with the CS4's is your best bet!

Here's what I'd do! If you have bought there before:

Ask the sales rep for some kind of a discount for at least staying with the CS4's(or buying from them again) and see if they'll give you something, anything off of the price. Anything! Work on 'em! Please and a friendly smile sometimes goes a long way. I do this on just about everything I buy. Sometimes it works, sometimes not but, ask.

Onetime, I got a free oil change(and I was buying furnature...JK)...Anything!

Ask the sales rep for some kind of a discount for at least staying with the CS4's(or buying from them again) and see if they'll give you something, anything off of the price. Anything! Work on 'em! Please and a friendly smile sometimes goes a long way. I do this on just about everything I buy. Sometimes it works, sometimes not but, ask.

Thats good advice.

I've gotten free road force balance upgrades and similar.. usually no money off because they are already price matching.

I will try that. The free oil change when buying furniture is classic!

So I went to the Dobbs store. The counter person measured the depth on tires and he recommended waiting to buy some tires. I was shocked! This is the same shop that tried to push all new struts followed by all new brakes. I had to practice saying no every tire rotation last year. I am going to wait a little. I will keep my eye out for deals. I appreciate all the advice. I am getting too old for learning things the hard way.

Older but wiser my friend!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back