Need a tire rec - 09 Honda CRV

Maybe get a Roadforce balance? Some tires and wheels will have vibrations if they are even just a little out of round. Especially noticeable if the out of round spot was mounted on a high spot on the rim. Doesn't matter if you balance them conventionally. On another note, if you don't mind a long break-in time and rather average winter performance for a GT A/S tire, the Toyo Extensa ASIIs may be an option. Be wary though, the break-in is horrendous, but I say the tire afterwards is very nice for around town/mild spirited driving. Just make sure you order off of Tire Rack and have them RoadForce balanced. On my 04'. 2 of them were over 20lbs! Caused really bad vibrations over 40. Now they ride pretty smooth with just a tiny bit of vibration at 70 which is probably the Cardone Reman CV I put in.
Thanks. Not sure who around here has a machine, other than a dealer. When I lived in DC, crazy Pat Goss used to scream about how great Road Force Balancing was. (He had a call radio show that was a trip, where he plugged his shop constantly).

Long break in won't work unfortunately - this thing mostly sits in my driveway and gets hit with basketballs.

Thanks. Not sure who around here has a machine, other than a dealer. When I lived in DC, crazy Pat Goss used to scream about how great Road Force Balancing was. (He had a call radio show that was a trip, where he plugged his shop constantly).

Long break in won't work unfortunately - this thing mostly sits in my driveway and gets hit with basketballs.
Tire rack has a list of shops who offer it.

My local Honda dealer only charges $50 for the roadforce.

My daughters winter tires started giving a small vibration. I went there and Tech called me and asked if he could put left front to rear. The Road force was higher on that one than the others. Not bad but higher and said it balanced fine but to make sure she was happy he wanted to move it. I said no problem so he did and she's happy. I drove it for over 2 hours on highway and was nice and smooth all speeds (unlike my GY WinterCommand Ultra's)

Sometimes a tire can be "balanced" (having it's center of mass on the centerline of the hub) but have a soft spot somewhere along the circumference, or a hard spot where the belts overlapped. Call it radial runout vs loaded radial runout. RF balancing can help offset this but not entirely, since the mechanics of the two (balance vs mechanical compliance) are different.

I remember touring the Michelin factory where dad worked growing up. Their balance and runout tests were done with the tire inflated on a test rim, rolling against a drum. Just because a tire is round and balanced doesn't mean it will roll round. Quality tire manufacturers put effort into solving that problem.

It looks like newer balancing machines can also optically detect the runout of the rim and tire, so that the tech can orient the two opposite. Car manufacturers have done this for a long time. (Back at the Michelin factory, tires destined for the OE market had dots on them to mark the max runout point.) It looks like this is catching up in the aftermarket.

Last edited:
Huh - probably user error on my part. I'm basically in Harrisburg 17025. I'll check again. Still seeing over $140. I guess I didn't realize prices flexed by region.

so the nearest DT is Altoona

Prices change all the time. Even two Walmarts near each other could have different prices, and online could again have a different price for the same item :sneaky:

Thanks everybody - all good comments. Current tires are Nokian Entyre C/S (225/65R17). They have felt out of balance since new, and are loud, even though it's not a truck tire. I replaced all four struts - and it got worse. (Now crappy tires, with cheap struts). A CRV isn't exactly a 911 GT3, but I don't want to hop down the road on smooth pavement.

I have run some of the tires mentioned (Kumho, Yoks) before on other cars, but not in this size. The Yoks (AVID?) were really nice on my crappy old Malibu. (Better tire than car most likely).

The RT43 / 45's are a possibility too. I must have caught it at a weird time - when I looked at Walmart they were in the $180 range which seemed too high. I would rather hit a local shop than a chain, but will probably price out costco. I had good luck there before, but the wait is long (month) for appointments.

If you liked Kumho before, the HA31 seems like a good choice for you.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to call my local dealer and see what a Road Force balance will run me. They have decent prices on parts, and I need to make a parts run anyway.

Last question - anyone have experience with Walmart doing TPMS replacements? The batteries on the senders have been dead for at least 8 years. If I private sell this thing down the road, I want all the lights off.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to call my local dealer and see what a Road Force balance will run me. They have decent prices on parts, and I need to make a parts run anyway.

Last question - anyone have experience with Walmart doing TPMS replacements? The batteries on the senders have been dead for at least 8 years. If I private sell this thing down the road, I want all the lights off.
Almost all the tire places have generic versions on hand so they can be replaced if needed. Most will install whatever you bring also while tires are being done. You could call the shop you are thinking about and Walmart and ask ahead about price and inventory. Most replace the whole sensor now not batteries, and include the programming if needed. You might get metal valve versions or rubber valve if that matters.

You could check dealers on line and even Amazon (factory Honda ones IMO) if you do.

I don't know about your '09 but daughters '08 only holds 4 sensor ID's in memory. In my case when I swap to winter tires I need to get them programmed each spring/fall. Kind of a PITA but cheaper than buying the unit just for that. Her '08 if the sensors don't register, the TPMS "system" error stays on and will not let you disable VSC/traction control so if you need to spin tires to get unstuck from snow/mud you are out of luck.

Does your '09 have the recall for frame rot? did you have it checked?
OP stated "I dont want to spend Michelin Money"

That is not scimping.

Michelins have gone way up in price. It can be $100 more a tire to get a michelin compared to plenty of legitimate mainstream brands.
No not scrimping, just being price conscious and that's a good thing but need to look at how much actually saved vs frustration. The bitterness of poor experience lasts much longer than the sweet price experience.

Been there done that also. Before my first Michelin for my old Explorer all the tests rated them best except price so I bought the #2 rated Dunlop Radial Rover to save $$. Spent more time at Firestone and even bought lifetime balance because every other month they started to shake. Regretted that and finally gave up and replaced with Michelin LTX M/S and never had to have rebalanced again. Truck got sold a couple years later but never had it redone.

There are many other good less expensive choices definitely and many suggested here in the thread. For my daughters CRV, I wanted the new X-Ice snow or Nokian R3. The Conti VikingContact 7's on sale at DTD made it so I could get 4 new, mounted, with 4 new sensors for the spare rims and still have money for lunch compared to both of the others even on sale. They work great and are still highly rated. I did the same for Sequoia way back, it got Altimax Arctics over Nokian's as they were almost 1/2 price and were the relabeled Gislaved Frost. Got many great years out of those.

I would just hate for the OP to save as little as $200 and get something that is not good rain/snow, and maybe stiff ride, noisy.

Definitely review the TR videos and decide the priorities. Think long term also, would you maybe spend a bit more if you were buying a car and it had name brand, good tread depth, newer date code tires vs these?
1709314569538.jpg

Does your '09 have the recall for frame rot? did you have it checked?

Yes - I had the bracket installed under recall. There is some underbody rust, but not all that much. I have also driven many cars equipped with Plus Pop - not intentionally.

There is a touch of rust starting on the back tailgate. Not visible yet, but slowly progressing.

This made me laugh - I called the dealer and asked if they did roadforce balancing. They had to ask, and said yes they do tire balancing. I tried not to be the pricky know-it-all car guy, and said, No, it a special machine, not a regular balancer. After a long pause, they said their balancer is a special machine.

This is why car dealers get dragged. (And out of all the dealers I have been to in my now middle aged life - this one has been the best!)

Back