Need a tire rec - 09 Honda CRV

Anyone recommend a good mid-range tire a Honda grocery getter? Currently running Nokian's which are worse than OEM Goodyear trash GM used in the early 90's. I'm only only looking to keep this about another year (2 max).

I don't want to spend Michelin money - but want something quiet, and doesn't feel like I'm driving a tractor. I would probably only put 5k-7k on them around town. (I really hate these Nokains, like never returning to that shop level hate).

Locally I have a couple independent shops, Mavis (who bought out Jack Williams, and I guess NTB), Costco, and Tires Plus. Walmart is about 35 mins.

I never heard of Mavis until a few years back, now it seems they bought everything around me. Any help appreciated.

Probably the Falken SN250AS would do if it is available for your size. Never have tried them though, so I can't tell you how they perform.

For starters, I would look at the Tire Rack inventory on you particular size and read up on the TR costumer reviews from others with same/like vehicle. You can even do side-by-side comparison with the tires on their site. Once you find a tire(s), you can buy them anywhere you choose however the TR site is a good starting place.

Anyone recommend a good mid-range tire a Honda grocery getter? Currently running Nokian's which are worse than OEM Goodyear trash GM used in the early 90's. I'm only only looking to keep this about another year (2 max).

I don't want to spend Michelin money - but want something quiet, and doesn't feel like I'm driving a tractor. I would probably only put 5k-7k on them around town. (I really hate these Nokains, like never returning to that shop level hate).

Locally I have a couple independent shops, Mavis (who bought out Jack Williams, and I guess NTB), Costco, and Tires Plus. Walmart is about 35 mins.

I never heard of Mavis until a few years back, now it seems they bought everything around me. Any help appreciated.
I have Mavis Traction Control tires on my '08 CR-V. They're made by Hankook and seem fine to me. I find them to be a smooth, comfortable ride. I'm not really a fan of Mavis but their hours fit with my schedule as they have Saturday and Sunday hours. I have an ETD Tire place in town that I would prefer, but they're closed on Sundays.

Take a look at the Cooper Endeavor. Just threw a set on the Camry and so far so good. Made right here in the US. Yes, they are now owned by Good Year, but still worth a look. A set of 18's was $732 out the door at my tire shop. I imagine it'll be cheaper for a set on a CRV.

If it was my CRV, I'd first go to the Discount Tire "Direct" website to look the selection and pricing. Then, look at type of driving conditions you most have and/or is your priority. If you lived in a locale with b&m Discount Tire I'd tell you go there. If you know or have an installer that will install tires purchased online from DTD or TR, I'd do that. Lacking that cross shop the tire of your choice from DTD, to purchase and install at perhaps WM.

I have to add, what I've read about Mavis Tire, has generally been poor. YMMV We have new Mavis store in the area too, but with Discount Tire stores nearby not even a consideration. I have no specific tire recommendation, but I do have a brand to look at, Milestar Tires. I have some experience with purchase and use, and especially for your 2 year horizon, good value tires in my experience.

I'm also looking for tires for our 08 CRV and was surprised how expensive even the 'mid-range' tires are.. not really much cheaper than the Michelins at Discount. I've put GT radial tires on a couple things and they are supposedly made in the US now.. Thinking about trying out a set for wifes car for now.

No free lunch with tires, unless you find a sale. If you value decent traction in any weather condition, Michelin Cross Climate 2. General Altimax 365aw are a cheaper option. Nokian WR G4s are also great, but you seem anti-Nokian.

The good news is that DT finally has a few stores in PA. One in Pittsburgh and one in Altoona. There are also stores in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, under the name America's Tire. If you are close enough to a DT/AT store, that is the best choice. Otherwise, Walmart or a local shop that is known to be good.

Mavis isn't the greatest.

What is your tire size? Is it 225/65-17? :unsure:

Here are some good choices in that size:
Kumho Solus HA31
Milestar Weatherguard AW365

Walmart's Douglas is pretty good for a cheap tire. They are made by Goodyear, and mostly made in the USA, too.

+1 on the Falkens. Daughter is a rural postal delivery person
She just replaced a set of Falkens with more Falkens. That's saying a lot since her route is over 100 miles a day with hundreds of stops. I have them on two vehicles and have been very satisfied.

Which Nokians do you have and what do you absolutely hate about them? What size are they? Is the CRV FWD or AWD. Do you need to travel when it snows or stay home until plowed?

I put Pirelli Scorpion AS+2 on my daughter's '08 CRV. Totally better ride and noise compared to the older Michelin Defender T&H that was on it. I bought for the noise, wet, dry and all positive reviews. I run full winter so not a concern or experience for that.

From my experience with them and the Pirelli P7 on my Accord for same reasons I would have no issue getting the AS3 versions for either vehicle. If snow is a concern I would read more reviews. The CRV is an AWD Accord IMO. It doesn't warrant an XL higher load rated SUV tire UNLESS you use it for those purposes. I like the Michelin CC2's from reviews and friends/family I recommended to but they opted for all weather not 2 sets. I prefer asymmetrical so I can cross rotate if needed to elp with wear.

Costco sales are good. You could look at Bridgestone Alenza Ultra or Weatherpeak.

I loved my Nokians when I had them but on different vehicles and mostly winter only (or all weather but only in winter)

Watch the videos and test reports on Tire Rack. You might need to hit a couple to compare between them.

Another thing but if getting rid of it is different smaller (or larger) rims from other trims. 16" instead of 17" might soften the ride (it has in all my cars).

Continental CrossContact LX25 gets real good reviews all around even for snow. I just bought my son some Contiental TrueContact Tour for spring based on reviews of wet grip, noise, wear from many places including BITOG.

Whatever you do, DON'T get the Bridgestone Ecopia HL422, just read the reviews. I have not had great luck with multiple Goodyear products on vehicles, others have. My Assurance WeatherReady that came on Accord were some of the loudest tires I ever used. Sidewall defects on mine later had them prorated from GY. The GY winter tires that I got at big discount to replace them get good grip reviews, not too noisy BUT after multiple balancing trips and payments, even roadforce they just aren't smooth. Not the worst but annoying for me especially on trips. Not enough to get rid of early but looking forward to when they wear out to replace them.

Mavis shows the low prices, when added to cart they also include an "overhead stocking fee" for each tire on top of some odd pricing structures for mounting etc. I stay away from them unless emergency.

The Honda dealer by me does roadforce balancing for $50 and no issue installing a used (matching) replacement tire I got from ebay.

I also use a local shop that is on TireRacks "recommended installer" list. I've brought multiple sets to them from TR and DTD. Their price on the TrueContact Tours mounted was the same or cheaper than getting from TR and then bring their overall. Also good to support local for things.

Last edited:
The good news is that DT finally has a few stores in PA. One in Pittsburgh and one in Altoona. There are also stores in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, under the name America's Tire. If you are close enough to a DT/AT store, that is the best choice. Otherwise, Walmart or a local shop that is known to be good.

Mavis isn't the greatest.

What is your tire size? Is it 225/65-17? :unsure:

Here are some good choices in that size:
Kumho Solus HA31
Milestar Weatherguard AW365
I knew about DT in Pittsburgh area, been there for a while now. I was unaware of the new AT stores in W-B and Scranton. Interesting they chose to go with the AT (vs DT) name, up till now mostly been used in the SW and West. But looking at the stores online, same design and color scheme as a brand-new DT store locally. Mostly white now as opposed to the traditional tan/beige with red of the past. I could see that area being easier to find more reasonably priced land locations for DT/AT stores. It's progress, slow but progress. Fwiw, after I posted I looked at the Milestar AW365 and thought that might be a good option to look at for the OP.

Last edited:
Back