5w-40 recommendation for 392 HEMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, looking for a good recommendation for a 5w-40 oil. My local Pep Boys only has the Mobil 1 Diesel 5w-40 but no idea if that is different than a "non-diesel" one. I have a 2012 392 HEMI that calls for the 5w-40 so not really sure where to go for that and if there is a preferred brand. I have Pep Boys and AutoZone nearby and a WalMart not too far away as well.

Thanks in advance

I'm a big Rotella fan so that would be my first answer BUT in your case I don't think it will work, nor will the Mobil. Your under warranty if I understand you correctly and the HDEO diesel oils are SM rated, so I'm guessing your probably going to have to hunt for a PCMO that's 5w40 and SN rated. Check your manual for the particulars as you're going to need to follow them to the tee.

The Pennzoil Ultra would be a good one, although I've personally used the Valvoline and M1 TDT in my trucks-BUT you'll need an SN rated oil for that engine-and the TDT & VPBX are both only SM/CJ-4.

'Peak' apparently makes an API-SN 5W-40. there was a thread on it recently.

Might be the ONLY SN-spec 5W-40 on the market right now....

Nice and confusing messages from Chrysler.

The full color user guide for the car shows this;

API Certified SAE 5W-40 full synthetic engine oil, API Certified.

The Owner's Manual shows this; (which is in line with what you said addyguy)

6.4 Liter Engine (SAE 0W-40, Synthetic API Certified)

and this;

For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operat- ing conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SM or SM/CF. The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil or equivalent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robertway
Nice and confusing messages from Chrysler.

The full color user guide for the car shows this;

API Certified SAE 5W-40 full synthetic engine oil, API Certified.

The Owner's Manual shows this; (which is in line with what you said addyguy)

6.4 Liter Engine (SAE 0W-40, Synthetic API Certified)

and this;

For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operat- ing conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SM or SM/CF. The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil or equivalent.

I would go by what your copy of the manual says unless there is an official revision done by Chrysler. Until then I'd say M1 0w40 would be what you need.

Chrysler was shipping M1 0w40 in the SRT-8 engines prior to switching factory suppliers to SOPUS. I'd go with M1 0w40 before I turned every stone in 5 counties over trying to find a non-HDEO 5w40.

Not that using an HDEO 5w40 is a horrible thing from an engineering point of view- but you're under warranty and I'd stick with an oil that holds all the right approvals.

Just read the later posts with the owner's manual quotes- that's obviously leftover text from the years when M1 was the supplier and SM was the latest and greatest. An editor obviously missed that one... I wouldn't bat an eye about using M1 0w40 if it were my car. In fact I'd pick that even if PU 5w40 were readily available and cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'd go with M1 0w40 before I turned every stone in 5 counties over trying to find a non-HDEO 5w40.

Castrol Syntec (or whatever it's called nowadays) 5w-40 isn't that hard to find at many auto part stores. But yeah, I think I'd choose M1 0w-40 instead.

Chrysler was shipping M1 0w40 in the SRT-8 engines prior to switching factory suppliers to SOPUS. I'd go with M1 0w40 before I turned every stone in 5 counties over trying to find a non-HDEO 5w40.

Not that using an HDEO 5w40 is a horrible thing from an engineering point of view- but you're under warranty and I'd stick with an oil that holds all the right approvals.

Just read the later posts with the owner's manual quotes- that's obviously leftover text from the years when M1 was the supplier and SM was the latest and greatest. An editor obviously missed that one... I wouldn't bat an eye about using M1 0w40 if it were my car. In fact I'd pick that even if PU 5w40 were readily available and cheaper.

I wouldn't bat an eye over using the RT6 5w40 - it follows (typo or not) exactly what is in the manual. 5w40 and SM rated.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401

I wouldn't bat an eye over using the RT6 5w40 - it follows (typo or not) exactly what is in the manual. 5w40 and SM rated.

Good point... but I think there may be a ACEA spec mentioned in the manual in addition to SM. RT6 might in fact meet that too, I'd have to check.

Challenger, Charger, 300C, it's all the same motor.

The 6.4 is a MONSTER.

And M1 0W-40 was the original SRT8 spec from 2005. It's an excellent choice. But almost any synthetic XW-40 will be wonderful for that car.

Enjoy!

For Chrysler's 6.4 Hemi:
470 hp / 392 cubic inches = 1.20 hp/cid

For Chevy's 7.0 LS7:
505 hp / 427 cubic inches = 1.18 hp/cid

Come on Chrysler, do whatever you need to do to bore and stroke the Hemi to 426!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
For Chrysler's 6.4 Hemi:

For Chevy's 7.0 LS7:

Come on Chrysler, do whatever you need to do to bore and stroke the Hemi to 426!

What I don't understand is why the Hemi doesn't produce a significantly higher HP/L even though Chrysler went through the trouble to build a hemi style head, whereas the Chevy has a much simpler wedge head.

^ Probably. Then they can bump up the power in a couple of years to continue the game of one-upsmanship without having to build another new engine.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Perhaps, slightly detuned for various reasons..

Given what the aftermarket guys can do with nothing more than a tuner... you're right. And its more than "slightly."

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
For Chrysler's 6.4 Hemi:

For Chevy's 7.0 LS7:

theta II 2.0T 122 CI 274 hp : 2.25 hp/cid lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back