Just bough a 2001 dodge truck , tune up time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought 2001 dodge ram 1500 slt laramie 2wd 150k miles, it drive and run great, Im plan to do complete tune up,oil and filter. plug, wire, tranny filter and fluid, gear oil. What do you guy recomment. Truck do not come with manual book, so I do not know the factory spec for this truck, I use this truck for mainly daily drive and towing some time when I need to.thanks

Last edited:
With that kind of mileage and both the 5.2 and 5.9 are notorious for sludge I would use amsoil 5w-30 xl or 0w-30sso. And seafoam or mmo the engine to try to clean it. Every dodge I ever owned and worked on had black slime so thick under the valve cover I had to scoop it out

I would safely say that a 5w-30 grade would be okay to use in that truck. A good oil to use in your application would be some conventional Pennzoil. It is reasonably priced and would clean out any deposits that may be present. However, taking note of your signature, I have to agree that Castrol GTX would be an equally superb choice.
You should be able to go to your local Dodge dealership and purchase a manual; this would provide you with some specifics in regard to the gear and transmission oils. I would use OEM oils in both of those applications.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
I would safely say that a 5w-30 grade would be okay to use in that truck. A good oil to use in your application would be some conventional Pennzoil. It is reasonably priced and would clean out any deposits that may be present. However, taking note of your signature, I have to agree that Castrol GTX would be an equally superb choice.
You should be able to go to your local Dodge dealership and purchase a manual; this would provide you with some specifics in regard to the gear and transmission oils. I would use OEM oils in both of those applications.

You think if I call dodge they give me info over the phone ? most dodge dealer around me already closed down -_-

Check out the Second Generation Ram page at www.dodgeforum.com:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-64/

The Dodge Forum is the best Dodge Truck site I have ever used. There are a lot of good guys there who can help you with your truck and there is a lot of great info, factory specs, DIY posts and a link to a free downloadable Factory 2001 Ram Service Manual here in the FAQ page:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-faqs-diys-and-how-tos-143/

In fact, the first post in the FAQ is titled "Motor Oil". You should be able to find most any info you need in the forum or the FAQ. The search function works very well too.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Just bought 2001 dodge ram 1500 slt laramie 2wd 150k miles, it drive and run great, Im plan to do complete tune up,oil and filter. plug, wire, tranny filter and fluid, gear oil. What do you guy recomment. Truck do not come with manual book, so I do not know the factory spec for this truck, I use this truck for mainly daily drive and towing some time when I need to.thanks

1 - Go to E-Bay and enter 2001 Dodge Ram owner's manual in the search box and you can pick up a manual for cheap money. There are a lot of them listed and some even have the vinyl case to keep them in. It is well worth the $10-$20 to get the manual for your truck.

2 - What engine does the truck have? Is it the 5.9L 360( gas )? If so add the intake gasket to your list of things to do. There was a problem with them leaking oil internally which lead to increased oil consumption and/or spark knock. It is not an external oil leak so you won't be able to tell that way. You want a kit that also includes a new valley pan( plenum pan ). Get an aftermarket kit from a good company like FelPro and you won't have to worry about it any more. Dodge had a TSB on this for earlier models but I have seen it happen to people right up until the 5.9L ended.

3 - Run a 5W-30 or a 10W-30 oil. That is what was called for.

4 - Transmission fluid is ATF+4. Dodge truck transmissions seem to be very picky about the trans filter. I recommend for that one part to stop by the dealer and pick up an OE filter.

5 - The rear diff will take a 75W-90. Approx 2.75 qts so get 3 bottles. If you have some type of limited slip you will need a fluid with the additive already in it or you need to buy some and add it. Again, buy a manual and then look it up.

6 - I would include doing a complete coolant flush as well. I would think your truck calls for HOAT( type not brand name )anti freeze. Once again that owner's manual you need to buy will tell you for sure. You do not want to mix anti freeze types and you want to be sure you use the correct kind for your cooling system. HOAT is good for 5 years or 100K they say so it is time on your new truck if it has never been done.

7 - OE spark plugs are copper core Champions and they S U C K! One of the worst plugs on the planet IMO. I would recommend you go with NGK V-Power plugs if you want to stay with copper core plugs( cheaper )or upgrade to some Iridium plugs( more $$$ ). Just avoid any plug made by Champion IMO.

8 - Time to replace the serpentine belt and probably your upper and lower radiator hoses too.

9 - New air filter and clean your throttle body.

10 - IMO this is a prime candidate for a Seafoam treatment( combustion chamber, crankcase, and gas tank ).

Brands are really up to you. However, if my opinion matters at all...

OIL: 5W-30 Valvoline MaxLife( full syn variety if you can find it otherwise the blend )
ATF: Valvoline ATF+4
REAR DIFF:RP MaxGear 75W-90
COOLANT: Zerex G-05( if a HOAT is required ) OR MaxLife universal coolant if it can be found.

Last edited:
Hi forget the truck, its return. I no longer have the truck. the owner is screw me over, since my friend is a cop, he talk to him and I return the truck and he gave back the moneys. Im glad it over.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

1 - Go to E-Bay and enter 2001 Dodge Ram owner's manual in the search box and you can pick up a manual for cheap money. There are a lot of them listed and some even have the vinyl case to keep them in. It is well worth the $10-$20 to get the manual for your truck.

2 - What engine does the truck have? Is it the 5.9L 360( gas )? If so add the intake gasket to your list of things to do. There was a problem with them leaking oil internally which lead to increased oil consumption and/or spark knock. It is not an external oil leak so you won't be able to tell that way. You want a kit that also includes a new valley pan( plenum pan ). Get an aftermarket kit from a good company like FelPro and you won't have to worry about it any more. Dodge had a TSB on this for earlier models but I have seen it happen to people right up until the 5.9L ended.

3 - Run a 5W-30 or a 10W-30 oil. That is what was called for.

4 - Transmission fluid is ATF+4. Dodge truck transmissions seem to be very picky about the trans filter. I recommend for that one part to stop by the dealer and pick up an OE filter.

5 - The rear diff will take a 75W-90. Approx 2.75 qts so get 3 bottles. If you have some type of limited slip you will need a fluid with the additive already in it or you need to buy some and add it. Again, buy a manual and then look it up.

6 - I would include doing a complete coolant flush as well. I would think your truck calls for HOAT( type not brand name )anti freeze. Once again that owner's manual you need to buy will tell you for sure. You do not want to mix anti freeze types and you want to be sure you use the correct kind for your cooling system. HOAT is good for 5 years or 100K they say so it is time on your new truck if it has never been done.

7 - OE spark plugs are copper core Champions and they S U C K! One of the worst plugs on the planet IMO. I would recommend you go with NGK V-Power plugs if you want to stay with copper core plugs( cheaper )or upgrade to some Iridium plugs( more $$$ ). Just avoid any plug made by Champion IMO.

8 - Time to replace the serpentine belt and probably your upper and lower radiator hoses too.

9 - New air filter and clean your throttle body.

10 - IMO this is a prime candidate for a Seafoam treatment( combustion chamber, crankcase, and gas tank ).

Brands are really up to you. However, if my opinion matters at all...

OIL: 5W-30 Valvoline MaxLife( full syn variety if you can find it otherwise the blend )
ATF: Valvoline ATF+4
REAR DIFF:RP MaxGear 75W-90
COOLANT: Zerex G-05( if a HOAT is required ) OR MaxLife universal coolant if it can be found.

This is exactly the best answer for my question in this forum !
thumbsup2.gif
thanks so much buddy.

Last edited:
Hi forget the truck, its return. I no longer have the truck. the owner is screw me over, since my friend is a cop, he talk to him and I return the truck and he gave back the moneys. Im glad it over.

What happened?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

What happened?

Its life lesson to learn

1: Dont buy car at night, where U cant see everything
2: Dont beleive in what ever the owner saying
3: Stay away from 200k miles car/truck
4: Dont rush

here what happent

The owner say the car have no leak, no smoke, no noise, everything run perfect, and well maintaince. He say on the ad truck have 150k miles, edometer quit working, then we talk for a while , i ask him how long u have the truck, he say he bought it last year with 190k miles !! title say 190k miles when register. then I ask him what kind spark plug he put on and when last time the truck have tune up, he say never, " I dont want fool with it " .. I was in rush and bought it, its my mistake, next morning truck have cold knock, pain is fade down to bottem, tranmission is slipping. smoke. and it leak oil like crazy, brake is very shaking , rear diff is leaking. look like it about falling apart, I dont feel good about this, and I call the owner, he yelling at me, very angry voice. I just want ask him few question about the truck, since he yelling at me and being an [censored] and call me an [censored]. that when I though about need help from a friend cop. My friend call him and tell what he is, the guy aggree to take the truck back. over all its my fault, my stupidity , but i learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back