Welp my truck just "dropped" a lifter

Do you have to pull the head to change an AFM lifter?

I changed out lifters on an old 307 some years ago, and it was pretty easy. The heads stayed in place.

Yep, with LS engines (Gen3+), the lifters are only accessible under the head:

590953d1501235011-lifter-trays-upside-down-a57103ac-0027-4209-a5c9-d12609f34ae6_zpsrcx6ezai.jpg

gen-iv-lifter-comparison.jpg

No longer accessible via the valley (Gen 1,2):

Roller:
ccrp_0710_03_z-hydraulic_roller_cams-87_small_block_engine.jpg

Flat-tappet:
1983_malibu-new_350-lifter_valley-full_size.jpg

Last edited:
My son and I replaced bad lifters in a 5.7 hemi and it is a sizable job. Heads have to come off along with all attached to them. All of the other issues you find should be addressed and you will find some issues. We found a number of broken manifold bolts that had to be replaced. We replaced all of the timing components, chain, sprockets, and phaser. We also discussed installing a high volume oil pump, but funds were running low so we disassembled the existing pump. It was found to be in good condition so we cleaned and assembled it. It was installed and provided good oil pressure.

As for why these failures are occurring, we discussed the possibility of low oil flow as the most likely reason. My son says that oil in modern engines is asked to do too much operation of internal hydraulic components. We both agreed that if we ever took on a job like that again, a high volume oil pump is a necessity, especially on engines that idle a lot. That is when the pump turns the slowest and can’t deliver enough oil at such low speeds. There may be enough pressure to keep the gauge off of zero, but you need flow to lubricate the upper end of the engine.

My SIL's 5.7 hemi sounds like an old 1940s type writer on a cold start. what does that mean? I thought that was just the nature of the beast for that particular engine.

My son and I replaced bad lifters in a 5.7 hemi and it is a sizable job. Heads have to come off along with all attached to them. All of the other issues you find should be addressed and you will find some issues. We found a number of broken manifold bolts that had to be replaced. We replaced all of the timing components, chain, sprockets, and phaser. We also discussed installing a high volume oil pump, but funds were running low so we disassembled the existing pump. It was found to be in good condition so we cleaned and assembled it. It was installed and provided good oil pressure.

As for why these failures are occurring, we discussed the possibility of low oil flow as the most likely reason. My son says that oil in modern engines is asked to do too much operation of internal hydraulic components. We both agreed that if we ever took on a job like that again, a high volume oil pump is a necessity, especially on engines that idle a lot. That is when the pump turns the slowest and can’t deliver enough oil at such low speeds. There may be enough pressure to keep the gauge off of zero, but you need flow to lubricate the upper end of the engine.
HEMI's have lots of oil pressure at idle, it's not an oil volume delivery problem, it's a materials problem, which is why they revised the lifters so many times to try and solve it. It's also why the early engines, which have the same lubrication system, don't have the problem, as they had different lifters.

Remember, these are direct drive pumps run right off the crank, not the half-speed cam like days of yore.

My SIL's 5.7 hemi sounds like an old 1940s type writer on a cold start. what does that mean? I thought that was just the nature of the beast for that particular engine.
They are notorious for manifold leaks (as are many others like the Ford Modular engines and the Toyota RAV4). The older ones would break the studs off, the new ones crack the manifolds like my wife's truck.

Update
My master tech, and I stayed late today to get the truck done.
$615 in parts, and a >$30 30 pack later I drove my truck home.
Cam was still good, as were the rods.
Took about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish.
I asked about payment, and he said "merry Christmas", and "I want you to show up tomorrow" lol. With such a crappy situation I truly have the best Co workers.

Update
My master tech, and I stayed late today to get the truck done.
$615 in parts, and a >$30 30 pack later I drove my truck home.
Cam was still good, as were the rods.
Took about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish.
I asked about payment, and he said "merry Christmas", and "I want you to show up tomorrow" lol. With such a crappy situation I truly have the best Co workers.

What exactly was replaced? Just the failed lifter?

You work with some good people!

What exactly was replaced? Just the failed lifter?

You work with some good people!
All said, and done I replace all 8 lifters on that side, fuel feeder lines, head gasket, all 10 head studs, valve cover gaskets, and intake gaskets. I believe that's it. I have the price quote in my truck (I think). I'll check it when I get a minute.
Yes amazing people! They even got me a loaner to drive with only 10 minutes till close on Friday the 23rd before the holiday break.

View attachment 195208
This was the original invoice, but After everyone pitched in a few new parts they had in their toolboxes it came out to $615 after tax.

I'm shocked that you all were able to get it done in 2.5 hours. You pulled the intake/head and reassembled? I bet that would take me 10 hours, especially working in the awkward forward leaning position!

I'm shocked that you all were able to get it done in 2.5 hours. You pulled the intake/head and reassembled? I bet that would take me 10 hours, especially working in the awkward forward leaning position!
Two people and in a shop with the proper tools within hand reach. Usually when I work on a project I spend twice the time just looking for the tool I need since they never get put back where it's supposed to be.

Lost my ‘12 5.3L to a stuck lifter. 144K miles. Religious M1 oil changes every 5K miles. Used the AFM delete plug for maybe 60k of those miles. Curbed some of my oil consumption and actually improved my MPG, especially on the highway by 1-2 MPG. Lost an ‘08 5.3L at 88k miles and it was drinking oil all the time. Had enough with GM and moved to Toyota. This 5.7L might not get the gas mileage but is stronger and doesn’t drink a drop at almost 80K.

Just like our '19, lol. The part # for the passenger side is updated, driver side is not. Passenger side was the one that cracked.
I haven't seen any evidence it is updated. Part #'s can change for a variety of reasons that are unrelated to design changes.

I haven't seen any evidence it is updated. Part #'s can change for a variety of reasons that are unrelated to design changes.
Updated part # then ;) I'll hold my judgement as to whether the part itself has been improved or not as to whether it happens again or not. I supposed I could check to see if there's a tech note in DealerConnect for it?

Like the motor guy said. Plus my master tech is the lifter guy. He did most of the work since I had to leave to meet my ex (child drop off/pickup), and he can normally do them in 3-4 hours. He mentioned he's done more than 100 of them, but not quite 200 yet.
But I agree alone it would've taken me a long time.
We had everything we needed on a cart right next to the truck, lifted the truck took off the from tires, and lowered the truck back down almost made the rotors touch the ground to make it easier.

It was the roller/pin on the HEMI lifters in the vast majority of cases, which is why the lifters were revised like 8 times and the current version has much larger rollers and is claimed to have solved the problem.
I have driven 5 or 6 recent Hemis and each one was quite like a sewing machine.

Back