Welp my truck just "dropped" a lifter

There’s a reason I put it in quotes, because I didn’t have the technical term for it off the top of my head. But now you see that it is a real thing and all you can do it quote the bulletin and cry about terminology. Did someone anoint you the terminology police? Take your L and sit down.

If you are going to mention something can go wrong-yes the credible thing is to get it right-or not mention it. That way you can actually help someone out.
I went down the rabbit hole and couldn't find it. Someone else had to point out what you were talking about.

In my case (2008 Silverado 5.3 96,000 miles) the lifter ate the cam lobe, metal in oil, ruined the oil pump, and scarred the bearings/crankshaft. Oil light started illuminating a nice glow. The engine was junk. I was happy with it until that point. Didn’t use oil. Even towing (3.73 rear) it ran well. Ran Mobil 1 5w30 and changed oil at 5,500 to 6,000 miles. Chevy dealer tore it down and then agreed to absorb some of the repair cost. I leveraged that offer and traded it on a 2015 Tahoe. Wife hated it. “Too big”.

A lifter roller tearing up a Gen IV camshaft is the rarest of AFM failure modes, Can even happen to non AFM lifters & non AFM LS engines.
Another failure mode is a AFM lifter rotating in it's bore because the lifter tray tab that keeps the lifter from rotating breaks off or the tray develops a crack.

Sounds like you had a Lifter Roller/Cam Lobe spall as it can go long enough without being noticeable & contaminate the engine.

Though I agree, Wiping a lobe is hell on the bearings & oil pump.

I suspect this failure began on a 200+ mile long trip home from the coast. The lifter was heard about 10 miles in. Arrived home with a distinct valvetrain noise. Next morning the oil light flashed several times during warmup. Oil level was fine. Ended up at the dealership shortly after with the diagnosis.

I suspect this failure began on a 200+ mile long trip home from the coast. The lifter was heard about 10 miles in. Arrived home with a distinct valvetrain noise. Next morning the oil light flashed several times during warmup. Oil level was fine. Ended up at the dealership shortly after with the diagnosis.
Are you talking about my lifter failing?

If you are going to mention something can go wrong-yes the credible thing is to get it right-or not mention it. That way you can actually help someone out.
I went down the rabbit hole and couldn't find it. Someone else had to point out what you were talking about.
Looks like you have to eat your words. This is the tsb they posted on the previous page and GM did refer to it as a shield.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2024-01-02-21-51-06.jpg
    Screenshots_2024-01-02-21-51-06.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 39
Looks like you have to eat your words. This is the tsb they posted on the previous page and GM did refer to it as a shield.
Boy...you really dug for that. 1 word buried deep in the TSB. The most important part of the "fix" is still a new valve cover with a "baffle"-you know that thing that covers the valves. Part of which is part of the AFM system.

Last edited:
Boy...you really dug for that. 1 word buried deep in the TSB. The most important part of the "fix" is still a new valve cover with a "baffle"-you know that thing that covers the valves. Part of which is part of the AFM system.
No not really. It's listed in the title as an "AFM deflector" but if you actually chose to scroll down and read what that is and does, they call it an "AFM shield".
I wanted to know because I hadn't heard of it either. The tsb for my older 05 truck is only the new valve cover, but the shield is literally what he was telling you about and you basically tried to call him an idiot. I will admit I spent an extra minute looking because it was you. I've seen a few infuriating posts by you before. Lol

No not really. It's listed in the title as an "AFM deflector" but if you actually chose to scroll down and read what that is and does, they call it an "AFM shield".
I wanted to know because I hadn't heard of it either. The tsb for my older 05 truck is only the new valve cover, but the shield is literally what he was telling you about and you basically tried to call him an idiot. I will admit I spent an extra minute looking because it was you. I've seen a few infuriating posts by you before. Lol

And somehow he keeps digging the hole he’s trying to talk himself out of. He must like the taste of crow.

the solution is simple -dont buy these trucks with afm or dod.
will never catch me owning a vehicle with DFM, AFM or DOD. the deletes are simple enough to do compared to having metal sent through your engine. but i also just like old junk so who knows. maybe in 15 years ill be doing a DOD delete on a personal vehicle.

True, but do you realize how many vehicles that have afm/dod that are running fine with over 200,000 miles, or more? A lot more than you'd expect. We only hear about the bad.
True...I know of one person with over 300k on a 2010 afm 5.3 and it has not lost a lifter (just burns oil ever since their powerstroke blew up and it had to tow a skid steer way over its max rating - possibly due to the ring buildup without the shield mentioned in the tsb) but I hear a lot more 2019+ trucks ticking loudly out in the field compared to the 2007-2018 trucks. I know it's a problem for the 2014-2018 trucks also but I don't think I've ever noticed one ticking. I work in construction where everyone around me drives trucks, so most days I would hear at least a couple knocking 5.4 3v ford trucks and a few ticking hemis.

True...I know of one person with over 300k on a 2010 afm 5.3 and it has not lost a lifter (just burns oil ever since their powerstroke blew up and it had to tow a skid steer way over its max rating - possibly due to the ring buildup without the shield mentioned in the tsb) but I hear a lot more 2019+ trucks ticking loudly out in the field compared to the 2007-2018 trucks. I know it's a problem for the 2014-2018 trucks also but I don't think I've ever noticed one ticking. I work in construction where everyone around me drives trucks, so most days I would hear at least a couple knocking 5.4 3v ford trucks and a few ticking hemis.
I used to work pipeline, so I can understand that completely.

Back