Valvoline Base Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Additive packages come from only a few sources, one of which is the joint-venture between Exxon-Mobil and Shell: Infinium. The other one I know off the top of my head is Lubrizol.
Plus Chevron Oronite and Afton Chemical.
Quote:

I want to know who supplies their base oil,that can tell you what kind of product you are getting.
Nah. For an outfit the size of Valvoline, the supplier will produce anything Valvoline wants to pay for.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
Additive packages come from only a few sources, one of which is the joint-venture between Exxon-Mobil and Shell: Infinium. The other one I know off the top of my head is Lubrizol.

Excellent, didn't know about those two. Do you know who BP uses by chance?

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Ok we are getting somewhere ... how much should a uoa cost before we can take it for real??? You do not have to be on the exact $$$ just a ballpark figure.... Finally we are getting to the point I
wink.gif
hope!!

That is a question that you will have to answer.How much are you willing to pay to find out what is actually in the oil you use?

A basic analysis can tell you if there are ceratin additives such as zinc,boron etc. but it cant tell you if antimony and maybe other additives are being used.

A basic analysis can also tell you if you have antifreeze or dirt in your oil and can tell you if there is excessive wear taking place.

It has been stated several times that a basic analysis cant detect certain additives.This may be one reason that some oils seem to have a weak add pack but show very good results for those that use them.

There is also the idea that when a base oil is really good that less additives may be used.If you have a highly processed oil,some are even considered synthetic,that less additives may be in the oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:

Excellent, didn't know about those two. Do you know who BP uses by chance?

I dont know of this is right but it may be Lubrizol.BP sold their Adibas brand to Lubrizol in 1998.Adibas made oil and fuel additives.

If Adibas was their brand and they sold it to Lubrizol,they may still use Adibas(Lubrizol) as their supplier.

I THINK ALL BLENDERS DO THE SAME THING. I WAS TALKING TO WARREN ABOUT SUPER TECH HIGH MILEAGE, AND THEY WERE ABLE TO CONFIRM THAT THEY SOURCED THE ADDITIVE PACKAGE FROM LUBRIZOL, BUT COULD NOT DISCLOSE THE BASE OIL OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT IT IS ALL GROUP II. THEY SAID THAT THE AVAILABILITY OF BASE OILS IN TODAYS MARKET IS SLIM AND THEY GO WITH WHATEVER THEY CAN THAT MEETS THEIR SPECS AND IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE ADDITIVE PACKAGE THEY HAVE SELECTED.

Originally Posted By: salv
I THINK ALL BLENDERS DO THE SAME THING. I WAS TALKING TO WARREN ABOUT SUPER TECH HIGH MILEAGE, AND THEY WERE ABLE TO CONFIRM THAT THEY SOURCED THE ADDITIVE PACKAGE FROM LUBRIZOL, BUT COULD NOT DISCLOSE THE BASE OIL OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT IT IS ALL GROUP II. THEY SAID THAT THE AVAILABILITY OF BASE OILS IN TODAYS MARKET IS SLIM AND THEY GO WITH WHATEVER THEY CAN THAT MEETS THEIR SPECS AND IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE ADDITIVE PACKAGE THEY HAVE SELECTED.

OKAY,OKAY!!!
grin.gif

If you are serious and want a more comprehensive test done on your engine oil, then you can have this one done for $149:

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/images/EngineOil411-DysonAnalysis-Template.pdf

If you want to know what base oils are in the engine oil you're using, then get this test done for $499:

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/servicelist/saej300scans499.html

As far as suppliers go, that's a moving target for most oil companies based on cost and availability. I suspect that the people that you are contacting at these companies don't even know who their suppliers are definitively.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
There are very few suppliers of base oils out there and just think of all the store brand oils that are on the market.

Advance Auto pure syntetic
Napa Pure Synthetic

Someone produces the base oils for these products.

Could be this one....

http://www.spectrumcorporation.com/

That's the thing though, with a BP, SOPUS or Mobil product.... You know where the base oils come from.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That's the thing though, with a BP, SOPUS or Mobil product.... You know where the base oils come from.

...or Chevron and ConocoPhillips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back