Total quartz or valvoline oil?

I don't care who owns Valvoline, its good oil. Never heard of total quartz and if I haven't heard of it, its probably either boutique or junk.

I don't care who owns Valvoline, its good oil. Never heard of total quartz and if I haven't heard of it, its probably either boutique or junk.
Very interesting that you haven't heard about it and making assumptions. TotalEnergies happens to be the third biggest oil company in the world.

Very interesting that you haven't heard about it and making assumptions. TotalEnergies happens to be the third biggest oil company in the world.
Very interesting. I would have to look into it.
Excuse my arrogance then, as its just a good blanket mentality that the reason something sells well and in big volume is probably because its good, at least in some way.

Looking it up...**** its 10$ a qt from walmart/autozone. No thanks. 25$ for my 5qt jugs of 300ppm moly Valvoline is good enough for me. Also its made by the french...whom I don't trust to make anything other than the Rafale. But it makes sense how total energies made 281 Billion last year...that is a high premium for oil that sells like crazy in EU I guess.

Valvoline has a tendency to claim very liberal cross compatibility of their fluids with OE fluid part numbers and specifications. So bad in some examples that they claim cross compatibility of transmission fluids that are 70% thicker than what is in the bottle from valvoline.

They make perfectly GOOD fluids, but because they choose to stretch the application claims for those fluids, and their claims have mislead me more than once, they have lost my trust and interest as a consumer. I tend to avoid Valvoline now except where they are the only convenient option and I know that what is in the bottle is appropriate for the application. When I have an alternative option at similar price and convenience I will avoid the brand as part of my own personal soft-boycott against the brand.

Valvoline has a tendency to claim very liberal cross compatibility of their fluids with OE fluid part numbers and specifications. So bad in some examples that they claim cross compatibility of transmission fluids that are 70% thicker than what is in the bottle from valvoline.

I noticed my favorite phrase “suitable for use in…” on one of their products. What exactly does that mean?

I have used this oil, and it is not boutique or junk. This oil is widely used by the PSA group. I only stopped using the oil as it is very expensive and can only be bought from PSA dealers in Australia.

I am not married to any brand and choose oil based on its specification for the vehicle.

Unfortunately the internet is full of people that make statements who are lacking basic knowledge.

They make perfectly GOOD fluids, but because they choose to stretch the application claims for those fluids, and their claims have mislead me more than once, they have lost my trust and interest as a consumer. I tend to avoid Valvoline now except where they are the only convenient option and I know that what is in the bottle is appropriate for the application. When I have an alternative option at similar price and convenience I will avoid the brand as part of my own personal soft-boycott against the brand.
Which of those apply to this oil?

I have used this oil, and it is not boutique or junk. This oil is widely used by the PSA group. I only stopped using the oil as it is very expensive and can only be bought from PSA dealers in Australia.

I am not married to any brand and choose oil based on its specification for the vehicle.

Unfortunately the internet is full of people that make statements who are lacking basic knowledge.
Yeah you kind of solidified my point. Its an expensive oil, and if something sells well, its probably worth a look.

Very interesting. I would have to look into it.
Excuse my arrogance then, as its just a good blanket mentality that the reason something sells well and in big volume is probably because its good, at least in some way.

Looking it up...**** its 10$ a qt from walmart/autozone. No thanks. 25$ for my 5qt jugs of 300ppm moly Valvoline is good enough for me. Also its made by the french...whom I don't trust to make anything other than the Rafale. But it makes sense how total energies made 281 Billion last year...that is a high premium for oil that sells like crazy in EU I guess.

You can stop anytime with the opinions. Read more, post less.

Total is highly regarded. Its basically OEM fill on a lot of Euro cars, including Renault. Their Elf stuff is basically Total which is why I now buy it in bulk.
1699620058360.jpg
1699620095545.jpg

Some people don't realise that some of largest oil brands in the world aren't available or popular in the American market, Total might be one of them.

Take a moment to think about what you're implying with this question.
Okay sure. This thread is about a motor oil, is Valvoline claiming "very liberal cross compatibility of their fluids with OE fluid part numbers and specifications"? Not that I see. Tell me where if they are.

And as to your comment about their multi-use ATF, that is an opinion as far as I can see without any real issues with any specific recommendation they make. My experience has been quite different, I use Maxlife ATF in every vehicle I own that uses ATF and I have used it for many years in other vehicles. Specifically I used it in my BMW that called for Shell LA2634, my old Accord that uses DW-1, my son-in-law's Mazda that uses ATF-FZ, his Ford Fusion, my VW that uses whatever VW is currently listing, my old Sienna, a Camry I maintain for someone else, and a Subaru. I have seen no weird nor abnormal operation in any of them. How have you been misled?

Total is highly regarded. Its basically OEM fill on a lot of Euro cars, including Renault. Their Elf stuff is basically Total which is why I now buy it in bulk.
View attachment 187693View attachment 187694

Some people don't realise that some of largest oil brands in the world aren't available or popular in the American market, Total might be one of them.
I can die in peace, there is Elf Oil.
Do they bring it around Christmas time?

You are right, I have never seen it on a shelf in the US of A across 12 different states I have lived in.

Back