Valvoline or Mobil 1 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys I Have the Toyota 4.6 liter that requires 0w20 synthetic, I have bought Valvoline Synpower just because there was plenty of it on the rack. I do 5000 mile intervals does Mobil 1 have any more protection than Valvoline would provide.

I certainly wouldn't run syn oil and change it at 5,000 miles reguardless what my preconcieved notions were about oil changes. That being said you will never tell the difference between the brands through you ownership of the truck those engines last as long as an engine can last.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I certainly wouldn't run syn oil and change it at 5,000 miles reguardless what my preconcieved notions were about oil changes. That being said you will never tell the difference between the brands through you ownership of the truck those engines last as long as an engine can last.

What Steve S means by this (I think) is that 5000 miles is too short, and you'll never get your money's worth out of either brand.

What does the manual recommend for miles between oil changes?

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
Hey Guys I Have the Toyota 4.6 liter that requires 0w20 synthetic, I have bought Valvoline Synpower just because there was plenty of it on the rack. I do 5000 mile intervals does Mobil 1 have any more protection than Valvoline would provide.

both are good oils, which one is cheaper
smile.gif

its still under warranty so i would stick with 5k ocis and keep good records

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Mobil 1 because Valvoline 0W-20 is unobtainable.

For some, maybe. But I saw it( Valvoline 0W-20) on the WM shelves in Central Virginia this weekend.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Mobil 1 because Valvoline 0W-20 is unobtainable.

For some, maybe. But I saw it( Valvoline 0W-20) on the WM shelves in Central Virginia this weekend.

Both are available on the WalMart shelves in my area.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
does Mobil 1 have any more protection than Valvoline .

I'd say no, but it is somewhat lighter at start-up temp's.

But the main point you're missing with these oils is that while they are both 0W-20 grades they are not high VI oils, and therefore are much heavier than the specified oil, the Toyota brand 0W-20 at typical start-up temp's. Even at room temperature the Toyota 0W-20 is a full 25% lighter and almost 40% at 32F than Valvoline.
M1 and Valvoline are superior to dino 5W-20's and most syn 5W-20's but that's it.
If you want to deviate from the spec' oil you basically have two choices; Honda's 0W-20 or Castrol Edge 0W-20. These oils have similar flow characteristics to the Toyota spec' oil.

My wife's Honda Insight came with (obviously) Honda 0W-20 motor oil as the factory fill. I kept it in the engine until about 8100 miles, when the oil life indicator showed 15% "life" remaining. I changed to Mobil 1 0W-20, as that was the only non-dealer brand available locally, and the oil went 8700 miles before the 15% notification popped up. I then changed to Valvoline 0W-20 which has become available locally and which is slightly cheaper than the Mobil 1. I can't tell any difference whatsoever in the oils based on the car's performance or gas mileage, which typically is 47 or 48 mpg. I'll be interested to see when the oil life indicator comes on with the Valvoline.

Guess the point is that you can probably run just about any 0W-20, and for distances well beyond 5000 miles, and be just fine. If you don't have an oil life monitor in the Toyota, you might want to do a UOA just for peace of mind.

If the driving style is the same and the ambient conditions are similar, it will go a similar distance. The car has no clue what oil is in it. It would let you go the same distance on Crisco.

I'd run the oil to at least 7000mi. 5000mi on synthetic is a waste of oil. As far as which is better... Pepsi or Coke? Ford or Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back