Wal-Mart is discontinuing carrying Ultra-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: David S.
Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I think pennzoil was crazy for keeping PP and doing nothing of substance to differentiate PU from PP. At least Mobil says hey our EP oils are more $$ but will do 15k miles. What did Pennzoil say PU will do, clean 40% better? With M1 oils and PP on the shelves for cheaper was this not expected?
I guessed Pennzoil would have discontinued Platinum soon after Ultra hit the stores, and that might have been why we saw the rebates and coupons, but my guess was wrong since Pennzoil seems to be selling both Platinum and Ultra at the same time.
54.gif

M1 regular and M1 EP, same thing.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Wal-Mart does a lot of market research, and testing, if it doesn't sell they'll fill the shelves with something that does sell. Pretty simple business, and Wal-Mart is the best when it comes to retail. It doesn't matter how good an oil is to Wal-Mart, what matters is what sells.

Then what is good for wm is not good for people.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I think pennzoil was crazy for keeping PP and doing nothing of substance to differentiate PU from PP. At least Mobil says hey our EP oils are more $$ but will do 15k miles. What did Pennzoil say PU will do, clean 40% better? With M1 oils and PP on the shelves for cheaper was this not expected?

As far as I know, 'cleaning 40% better' is for Pennzoil yellow bottles, not or Ultra. Ultra is 'keeping the engine closest to factory clean'.

All I know is that my local Walmart had a closeout on Ultra about two months ago and I bought 10 5-quart jugs for $15.00 each. I have enough Ultra to last me until I'm 74, and that's a ways off.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Then what is good for wm is not good for people.
No business will last if it has that martyr's complex. Buying stock they can't move doesn't do anyone any good. Besides, shouldn't the "we know what's really best for you" attitude be reserved for the government?
grin2.gif

Due to the fact that most people are idiots. People are pre-occupied with more tangible issues like texting while driving, arranging bridal showers or planning their next vacation to the Caribbean and an additional assortment of protozoan waste. I mean really, why waste the brain cells on being concerned about engine cleanliness or longevity?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Quite right. Cleaner isn't as tangible to a lot of consumers.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Due to the fact that most people are idiots. People are pre-occupied with more tangible issues like texting while driving, arranging bridal showers or planning their next vacation to the Caribbean and an additional assortment of protozoan waste. I mean really, why waste the brain cells on being concerned about engine cleanliness or longevity?

Everone cares about different stuff...now the texting part I agree with..

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Challenger71

Everone cares about different stuff...now the texting part I agree with..

I'm my humble opionion, I think it's more about Shell's ongoing efforts to change the still-rampant belief among middle age men that any Penn product is still full of wax and will create a sludge fest in their retire-toy V6 convertible SlowStang, no matter how frequent the OCI. In nearly every forum I'm on besides BITOG, this heresay is indeed still the rule and not the exeption...

In any case, sad to see it go. I've got 8 jugs of 5qt WM-bought PP in my stash and can't justify any more, but was looking to trying the PU in a year or two. That certainly won't happen if I have to pay anywhere near $7/qt.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
All I know is that my local Walmart had a closeout on Ultra about two months ago and I bought 10 5-quart jugs for $15.00 each. I have enough Ultra to last me until I'm 74, and that's a ways off.

$150 on oil you don't need. We won't tell the wife, will we?
01.gif

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
A stranger asked you WHY you could not afford the good stuff?

Class is observed by others subject to it. For the person displaying their true class..or rather the lack of it, it's invisible.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

$150 on oil you don't need. We won't tell the wife, will we?
01.gif

She knows, she gave me the $150. Besides, it's going in to her car. An agreement we made many years ago, I don't tell her how to cook and she does not tell me how to maintain a car.

Challenger71 said:

Well I guess I fall into the idiot category although I don't text while driving (don't text at all, can't see the little letters too well), don't arrange bridal showers but I do plan my vacations and since I have put over 300,000 miles on various cars I have owned using cheap dino and not professing to the 3 month, 3000 mile theory and even used plenty of those orange filters that the non-idiots rag on on this and other web sites makes me wonder would spending $7.00 plus per quart of oil have done any better? I had a little extra money for my vacation. Maybe I'm not such an idiot after all.

Well I was thinking of switching to PU, but now that I found this it out I will stick to PP. Good advise to original poster of thread.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
None of the "super-premium" oils are moving well. Edge,M1EP,PU just ain't on alot of customer's minds in this era of hope and change.

That is racist.
34.gif

How dare you slight the ruler.

I wonder if this will get edited?

Gary with his infinite wisdom hit the nail on the head. It's all about the almighty dollar. Simple economics, if it doesn't move fast get rid of it. I am a diehard M1-EP user. I would have tried it in my wife's LaCrosse but all they had left were 3 jugs of 5W-20. Like Tig I have been using M1 since 1978 when it was 5W-20 in a silver can for $5.00. That was alot of money back then. I still have a can of it in my garage as a keepsake. My WM has reg M1 jugs for $21.00, EP for $25.00. Hard to compete with those prices. And Mobil oils take up over half of the shelf space for oils.

Originally Posted By: gwdriver
I still have a can of it in my garage as a keepsake.

I want to get one of those cans! :D

She knows, she gave me the $150. Besides, it's going in to her car. An agreement we made many years ago, I don't tell her how to cook and she does not tell me how to maintain a car.

I do both, how to maintain a car and tell her how to cook.Is it dangerous? :D

Makes me think of the TV show are you smarter than a 5th grader??? Takes all kinds to make up a world.
Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Originally Posted By: Mokanic
None of the "super-premium" oils are moving well. Edge,M1EP,PU just ain't on alot of customer's minds in this era of hope and change.

That is racist.
34.gif

How dare you slight the ruler.

I wonder if this will get edited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back