Wal-Mart is discontinuing carrying Ultra-

Status
Not open for further replies.
in 5qt jugs. Met the store manager of my WM in the auto section yesterday. With him was the WM regional manager for the southeastern U.S.. I was asking them about Ultra because there were only 2 jugs on the shelf. They said Ultra was not meeting their sales goals in the 5qt jugs and is being discontinued in all Wal-Marts. PYB and PP will still be available in 5qt jugs because they are moving well. They will only be carrying Ultra in 1qt bottles at $7.00 a pop. Looks like now the only bargains on Ultra will be at Advance and Autozone when they run their oil and filter change specials.

P.S.- Bill- Don't block this thread. I know there are several threads concerning WM and Ultra but I found this to be breaking news!

This isn't good. I really like Ultra. Last time I was in WM the Ultra looked like it was from the first shipment. They were dated Feb. 2010. I had a feeling that this would happen though.

Not really a shock. I think it's a tough time to release a new synthetic oil at a premium price. Other than the crazies here, I doubt most folks will pay more than the Mobil 1 price for synthetics.

It's not a matter of it being a bad oil. It's a matter of it not being the typical item the typical Wal*Mart customer buys.

I don't blame Pennzoil for giving it a whirl. However, I think Ultra will come down to match Mobil 1 in price if they want it to move. I could be wrong. But I don't think it will be received by the general public as superior to the other consumer targeted synthetic oil choices.

I wonder if this applies to all Wal-Marts? My local Wal-Mart is still carrying Havoline while most don't, maybe Ultra will be the same?
21.gif

Walmart has MANY regions in the southeast. One regional manager may not be able to speak for the other regions. My Walmart has it. The local Walmart never carried it. Depends a lot on trait.

Sorry to hear that about Ultra, but I use M1 5-20EP and it isn't sold at WM at all in my area. I just waite for AZ or AAP to do their oil and filter sale and buy then. I would look for those sales as well for Ultra.

Last edited:
They never carried the 5 quart jugs at my local walmart, they did however get a shipment of two in I assume from another store that was not selling from the shelf, it was put on the bottom shelf as clearance price, but no reduction according to stated prices on here... I wished they would carry it in 5 quart jugs only and no quart containers if I had a choice... but I don't

They never even created shelf space for the 5 quart ultra jugs

I've been only been buying oils on sale. There have been many deals this year on Mobil one and others. I'd give ultra a try if it gets a similar deal. I guess I wasn't the only one.

I think pennzoil was crazy for keeping PP and doing nothing of substance to differentiate PU from PP. At least Mobil says hey our EP oils are more $$ but will do 15k miles. What did Pennzoil say PU will do, clean 40% better? With M1 oils and PP on the shelves for cheaper was this not expected?

with so many other quality options at a lower price, i could never justify buying Ultra. Now if my WalMart puts it on sale I'll grab some for sure. It really doesn't look like it's moved well at my local WalMart at all. They tried placing it on the end of an aisle, and then right besides M1.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I think pennzoil was crazy for keeping PP and doing nothing of substance to differentiate PU from PP. At least Mobil says hey our EP oils are more $$ but will do 15k miles. What did Pennzoil say PU will do, clean 40% better?

That's how Pennzoil differentiated Ultra from Platinum, superior cleanliness and deposit control.

I'm still surprised they didn't market it as an extended drain oil since it seems even better suited to extended drains than Edge and EP.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

That's how Pennzoil differentiated Ultra from Platinum, superior cleanliness and deposit control.

Yeah I don't think that means much to most consumers though. A 15,000 mile OCI is something tangible. Cleaner than the other synthetic we have that is also cleaner than our dino oil is a bit less persuasive. Its a shame because it sounds like a decent oil.

They will only be carrying Ultra in 1qt bottles at $7.00 a pop. Looks like now the only bargains on Ultra will be at Advance and Autozone when they run their oil and filter change specials.

P.S.- Bill- Don't block this thread. I know there are several threads concerning WM and Ultra but I found this to be breaking news! [/quote]

If they ain't selling in the economy 5 quart jugs I doubt they'll sell at 7 bucks a pop quarts.

It just came out and they are already concerned about sales? No-one other than BITOG folk really know about it yet.

WM is nuts IMO.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back