Wal-Mart is discontinuing carrying Ultra-

Status
Not open for further replies.
dollar for dollar, without any reason to do otherwise, people are going to grab M1 over anything else on the shelf. That's just the way it is. It's what's given most of you great deals on PP. Every time it poked its head up to near M1 range, it sat. Unless Ultra can allow that price advantage to M1's premier offerings, it just isn't going to move well.

IMO
21.gif

You've hit it on the head Stenerson. I could just barely bring myself to pay $25 for 5 qts of the stuff, but there's no way I can justify spending another $10 for the same amount of oil by the quart. Then we're talking over $40 after filter and tax for an oil change that I HAVE TO DO MYSELF!! I can get a synblend change at any quicklube joint then hit McD's for a McDouble and a large Coke on the way home, and still end up putting a little change on the dresser for that kind of money.

The AZ special for $32.99 could be a future alternative, but why would I want to put on a midgrade Bosch filter with the top performing oil in the store? That special needs to come with an M1 filter instead.

I get paid tomorrow... guess I'll try to grab a final jug or two to go with the one on my shelf over the weekend before they're all gone. Then that will be it for me and Ultra until some rebates come along. I guess that's OK... I still have 17 qts of Motorcraft 5-20 full synthetic from AAP's clearance to cover a few more oil changes after all that.

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
I wondered if this would happen when they dropped the price from 28.00 to 25.00

Any given outlet has its max throughput of product. While we have our stashes, most people don't. While the number may float up or down, only so much oil is going to leave that WM. If they lowered the price to $25, they may still make money and they will probably move more Ultra, but they'll also lose it somewhere else, perhaps on a more profitable product. If not now, next month due to people buying their "future oil".

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
I wondered if this would happen when they dropped the price from 28.00 to 25.00

They would need to get rid of PP and drop the price of PU to $20 per 5 quart jug in order to even hope to compete with M1 IMO.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I think pennzoil was crazy for keeping PP and doing nothing of substance to differentiate PU from PP. At least Mobil says hey our EP oils are more $$ but will do 15k miles. What did Pennzoil say PU will do, clean 40% better? With M1 oils and PP on the shelves for cheaper was this not expected?
I guessed Pennzoil would have discontinued Platinum soon after Ultra hit the stores, and that might have been why we saw the rebates and coupons, but my guess was wrong since Pennzoil seems to be selling both Platinum and Ultra at the same time.
54.gif

Wal-Mart does a lot of market research, and testing, if it doesn't sell they'll fill the shelves with something that does sell. Pretty simple business, and Wal-Mart is the best when it comes to retail. It doesn't matter how good an oil is to Wal-Mart, what matters is what sells.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Walmart has MANY regions in the southeast. One regional manager may not be able to speak for the other regions. My Walmart has it. The local Walmart never carried it. Depends a lot on trait.

Nope. It's not a national "discontinue"....yet. It's still doing decent in some of the northern areas. What is happening to Ultra is almost the same that happened to Edge: Just too many choices, and no clear diifference in between. (to the average consumer)So we will see.....

I had the idea a longtime ago to have a thicker 10w-30 and a thinner 5w-30 product, like M1 Hi-Miles. 5w-30 is A5 and 10w-30 is A3, a perfect line-up. Along with SL level additives, it's like BitOGers designed the oil. So, that's what I've been buying.

Maybe it's as simple as people want to try different products, but the same brand and M1 does that.

Did anyone mention the deal Shelp Boys is running? $ 20.00 back on a case of 6. Both PP and PU. In the real world Advance and AZ offer a better deal including the filter.Do not bury PU yet I just think they are not too bright in the marketing dept. of Shell Oil. Time will tell,using Walmart was dumb, thinking they move alot of oil but never taking into selling the customer who goes there. THEY MOVE ALOT OF OIL BUT YOU GOTTA HAVE THE CUSTOMER FOR IT. To dump this project after just a few months would be very weird.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Did anyone mention the deal Shelp Boys is running? $ 20.00 back on a case of 6. Both PP and PU. In the real world Advance and AZ offer a better deal including the filter.Do not bury PU yet I just think they are not too bright in the marketing dept. of Shell Oil. Time will tell,using Walmart was dumb, thinking they move alot of oil but never taking into selling the customer who goes there. THEY MOVE ALOT OF OIL BUT YOU GOTTA HAVE THE CUSTOMER FOR IT. To dump this project after just a few months would be very weird.

Oh, they won't...

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Other than the crazies here, I doubt most folks will pay more than the Mobil 1 price for synthetics.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
dollar for dollar, without any reason to do otherwise, people are going to grab M1 over anything else on the shelf. That's just the way it is. It's what's given most of you great deals on PP. Every time it poked its head up to near M1 range, it sat. Unless Ultra can allow that price advantage to M1's premier offerings, it just isn't going to move well.
IMO
21.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Wal-Mart does a lot of market research, and testing, if it doesn't sell they'll fill the shelves with something that does sell. Pretty simple business, and Wal-Mart is the best when it comes to retail. It doesn't matter how good an oil is to Wal-Mart, what matters is what sells.

M1 is one of the most hated Brand on this board, but they have the most market share in the synthetic market. Majority of drivers do not know the difference(s) between synthetic and conventional oil, if you ask the ones who know to name one synthetic brand, most likely he/she will name Mobil 1.

The only synthetic available at most Costco and Sam Clubs most of the times is M1, once in a while I saw Castrol Syntec at Sam Clubs. Why they are not selling Pennzoil Ultra ?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

+1

I agree with Gary. To make a crude analogy, it's like when I was growing up in NC. My grandpa would say, "Hey, you wanna coke?" And I would turn around and he would be handing me a Sun Drop. Synthetic oil = M1 in the consumer's mind and no other oil can do that.

To topic, I do hope Shell can market the product better than a Ferrari, robot arm, and a clean piston. Because, in my heart-of-hearts, I am a Pennzoil fanboy.

If Wal-Mart does drop it, I think that's a big blow to Ultra. Let's hope they don't

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Yeah I don't think that means much to most consumers though. A 15,000 mile OCI is something tangible. Cleaner than the other synthetic we have that is also cleaner than our dino oil is a bit less persuasive. Its a shame because it sounds like a decent oil.

Quite right. Cleaner isn't as tangible to a lot of consumers. I know that sounds odd, but we already have enough oils advertising "clean." We have the sludge commercials, Mobil Clean, and so forth. PYB and PP are also known for keeping things clean (except to those who subscribe to urban legends). Clean, cleaner, cleanest, sparkly?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I had the idea a longtime ago to have a thicker 10w-30 and a thinner 5w-30 product, like M1 Hi-Miles. 5w-30 is A5 and 10w-30 is A3, a perfect line-up. Along with SL level additives, it's like BitOGers designed the oil. So, that's what I've been buying.

Maybe it's as simple as people want to try different products, but the same brand and M1 does that.

That, in a nutshell, is my favourite thing about the M1 lineup.

I'm going to say that Mobil1 is THE synthetic oil for Walmart customers.

I have yet to see anyone buying a 5 quart jug of synthetic ultra at one of their stores.

Mobil1 is used by all the old timers, people recognize it as a premium brand name..

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I'm going to say that Mobil1 is THE synthetic oil for Walmart customers.

I have yet to see anyone buying a 5 quart jug of synthetic ultra at one of their stores.

Mobil1 is used by all the old timers, people recognize it as a premium brand name..

+1

Reminds me when I picked up my second jug of QS AD, there was a guy grabbing a couple of jugs of M1. He looked at me and asked why I couldn't afford the "good stuff". Didn't bother to waste my time with that one..

All those who got the Ferrari Ultra caps should start wearing them and do some Pavlovian psychology. People may not know Ultra, but they should recognize the prancing horse
whistle.gif

If WM clears out Ultra, then I'm def going to get some. Will have to start finding new hiding places though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back