Best Oil for FJ Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2-wheel drive. It came with a EOS DENSO filter. Should I stick with this or is there something preferable? Does it matter if I use synthetic oil or regular. (I understand to change the oil every 3,000 m for regular and 5,000 for synthetic.

Thanks,

Fridanco

So you recommend I follow your suggestion, even for an FJ Cruiser?

Fridanco

Originally Posted By: Fridanco
So you recommend I follow your suggestion, even for an FJ Cruiser?

Fridanco
If you study up the posted used oil analysis you will see that Regular oil has no problem going 5,000 miles and syn oil for 10,000 miles plus . What does the manual mention about oil changes and there will be no real advantage if running syn oil for 5,000 mile intervals except to the people who sold you the oil. Some of the smaller Wix filters bypass valve design limits the element size so as to fit in the cam.

Yes- I was just at the dealership on Saturday and they told me 5,000 for syn even though some say it could be 15,000 m between changes.

fridanco

Yes- I was just at the dealership on Saturday and they told me 5,000 for syn even though some say it could be 15,000 m between changes.

fridanco

Do not listen to the dealership without verifying through your owner's manual. Dealerships are in the business of selling oil changes. Their advice is colored by that, not to mention the fact that the guy giving the advice might have been sweeping the floors at Target last week.

Rely on your owner's manual. Many have observed that dealership advice routinely contradicts it recommendations when the profit motive kicks in.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

fridanco

Do not listen to the dealership without verifying through your owner's manual. Dealerships are in the business of selling oil changes. Their advice is colored by that, not to mention the fact that the guy giving the advice might have been sweeping the floors at Target last week.

Rely on your owner's manual. Many have observed that dealership advice routinely contradicts it recommendations when the profit motive kicks in.

This is not good advice. You need to protect your new car warranty by changing your oil regularly and documenting it. Most new Toyotas call for 5000 mi OCIs using a blended 5W -30 synthetic. My local dealership uses Castrol blend.

You either have to have your dealer change it for you or you need to change it yourself and keep good records in order to protect your warranty.

as for filters, denso first time fit and nippon filters are both good, are sold sealed, and pre-greased. I like them ad ue both with confidence on our toyota.

As for oil, I really cant beat M1 for toyota engines. Otherwise, Id say that havoline or PYB are the best choices.

JMH

Quote:
This is not good advice.

Well, I don't see where he's putting himself at risk by following the owners manual
21.gif
Now if the OP wants to have the dealer change the oil, fine, but show up when the owners manual says to. That way you can get informed about any TSB's that are out there. If business is slow enough, it allows those corners to be swept out in a preemptive manner.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

fridanco

This is not good advice. You need to protect your new car warranty by changing your oil regularly and documenting it. Most new Toyotas call for 5000 mi OCIs using a blended 5W -30 synthetic. My local dealership uses Castrol blend.

You either have to have your dealer change it for you or you need to change it yourself and keep good records in order to protect your warranty.

My apologies. I stand corrected. Ignore your owner's manual. It is usually incorrect, and your warranty is at risk if you follow its recommendations. Instead, spend your money however the person behind the counter tells you to.

To keep a warranty intact, you must follow the Manufactures oil change recommendations period. I am partial to the WIX/NAPA Gold filters. They are well made, have good balance OF efficiency VS flow characteristics and are reasonably priced. Ed

This is the 1grfe engine. It requires and ILSAC GF4 engine oil. It doesn't matter if it is conventional or syntehtic the 5k mile OCI is conservative . ANy oil filter will do fine. I have used Wix and supertech filters. I can't tell any performance difference between the two for 5k mile OCI's.

Enjoy the fine piece of machinery. Save the money for fuel and go with the least expensive Oil Changes you can find. That include the filter.

Exactly, if your FJ has a OLM (oil life monitor) then change it when it says to (syn or dino) until your manufacture warranty end. Which ends pretty quick at 35,000 miles, after that try extended OCI (oil change intervals).

Actually the Drivetrain is warranted to 60k or 5 years and the OCI is 5k miles or 6 months. The maintenance light comes on after 4500 miles to remind the owner to plan an oil change.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

fridanco

My apologies. I stand corrected. Ignore your owner's manual. It is usually incorrect, and your warranty is at risk if you follow its recommendations. Instead, spend your money however the person behind the counter tells you to.

Good. Then we agree LOL
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
as for filters, denso first time fit and nippon filters are both good, are sold sealed, and pre-greased. I like them ad ue both with confidence on our toyota.

As for oil, I really cant beat M1 for toyota engines. Otherwise, Id say that havoline or PYB are the best choices.

JMH

You NEVER want to grease the gasket on a filter. Only use oil. Grease will prevent sealing and cause leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back