Best Budget Oil Filters ($<10) Most Inexpensive the Better

I usually buy Tough Guards. Nothing wrong with Extra Guards and I have used a lot of them, but that orange paint makes me feel like I cheaped out for some reason. Running one now on the wife’s Edge anyway.

The Tough Guard usually gives me a few extra pleats over the orange can, and unmatched efficiency at the price point.

Both the Extra Guard and Tough Guard have very strong media, you will be hard pressed to find any pictures of tearing on either one.

Go to a Rural King, they have 3-4 different MIC filters for $2 each, and the ones I cut have all looked pretty darn good considering the price. They’re not quite as efficient as even a Fram Orange, but they’re also half the cost. ProGuard, EcoGuard, and a couple other brands.

They look good enough that I keep a few on hand for most of the common sizes that F&F use, so if I have to do a pity change for them I use those without worry.

Fram extra guard. Decades of these have been cut open on here long past the rated interval and none have ever torn. It took me a decade to accept it but the results don't lie.
+1

I used to be a Fram hater, but of all the filters I've cut open, the Frams have been the most consistent especially for the price. I also like the SuperTech MP filters, but it is hard to know what will be in stock at my local Walmart. I've ordered them from the website as well but with mixed results on what I receive. Right now the supplier for their filters is Champ labs, but that is always subject to change for a store house brand. The fact that the Extra Guards have a silicone ADBV in recent years also makes them a good value.

Look for the filter efficiency is what I do if it isn't 99+ percent at 20 microns it not going on my car or truck. But we've been stuck at 20 microns for a decade or more now when are they really going to give us something for that continued price hike? I'm looking for a change to 10 microns.

Last edited:
The testing standards are often 20 microns as you noted. But you still get filtering at 10 microns just a much lower efficiency. A 99% at 20 filter will give you better efficiency at 10 microns than a 99% at 30 will.

Some manufacturers advertise efficiency at 25 and even 30 microns just to get the percentage number up since they know that’s as far as most buyers will bother to look. 👎

The testing standards are often 20 microns as you noted. But you still get filtering at 10 microns just a much lower efficiency. A 99% at 20 filter will give you better efficiency at 10 microns than a 99% at 30 will.

Some manufacturers advertise efficiency at 25 and even 30 microns just to get the percentage number up since they know that’s as far as most buyers will bother to look. 👎
LOL yes some buyers look for that same quality in a wife!

Look for the filter efficiency is what I do if it isn't 99+ percent at 20 microns it not going on my car or truck. But we've been stuck at 20 microns for a decade or more now when are they really going to give us something for that continued price hike? I'm looking for a change to 10 microns.
As much as I would like better efficiency ratings, the trend is moving towards lower efficiency. Consumers if they even check for efficiency ratings look for 99% efficiency but not the micron rating that goes along with it. I'm not sure if this was a compromise in exchange for longer intervals on synthetic blend media or just good old fashioned cost cutting, but that's where we are. As much as I don't like the price increases, I don't blame them for needing to raise them as this is due to inflation (materials, labor, regulation, etc) and likely to pay down the debt caused by buying out competitors (which I am not thrilled with). If they improve the product's efficiency, it is likely to cost even more.

As much as I would like better efficiency ratings, the trend is moving towards lower efficiency. Consumers if they even check for efficiency ratings look for 99% efficiency but not the micron rating that goes along with it. I'm not sure if this was a compromise in exchange for longer intervals on synthetic blend media or just good old fashioned cost cutting, but that's where we are. As much as I don't like the price increases, I don't blame them for needing to raise them as this is due to inflation (materials, labor, regulation, etc) and likely to pay down the debt caused by buying out competitors (which I am not thrilled with). If they improve the product's efficiency, it is likely to cost even more.
I agree purolater and Mobil 1 even get 5 micron rating worse then before.

When my filter stock is gone I will be switching to either champ XL or casite (Hastings) filters for most and probably some supertechs

Back