Amsoil 15min Flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a High mile year the truck may see 5,000 miles.

Engine has 100,000. maybe a 5 to 10k more. For the First 95,miles truck saw dino w/ 2,000 mile chages (some times 2 a month). From 95 to current M1 5w30 or 10w-30. Now the truck manly sits.

I was wanting to run an engine flush just do to the age, the sitting, and the normal oil burn for a ford V8 (1quart 1.5 miles.) Always burned this ammount from mile 1.

I was thinking that an ARX someone would just forget that this stuff is in the truck (even with notes) due to the time it sits.

When the truck is used its 140mile trips.

Do the Amsoil flush. Put it in, let it run for 15-20min and then change your oil. Couldn't be easier.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Dont you flush with old oil and an old filter on there anyway?

Old oil yes, old filter no.

You want to put a new filter on the car before using the flush to catch as much as possible.

Because depending on how long the filter has been installed how many miles are on it its already going to have a decent amount of contaminaton in it.

Using a new filter gives the flush to maximize its ability to capture as much as possible.

Same reason that the can of Amsoil recommends using a new filter, and that Auto-rx recommends using a new filter.

Some people go as far in RX treatments to change the filter half way through the rinse phase on sludge monsters.

---
Right off amsoils website about the product.
---
1) FLUSH: To quickly clean residual sludge and engine deposits, AMSOIL Engine Flush is recommended: Change the oil filter and add the flush (about 10% of the oil capacity). Do not overfill the crankcase. Idle the engine 15 to 20 minutes, then immediately drain the old oil and flush.

http://www.amsoil.com

They promote using a amsoil filter, but in reality using a new filter for the flush is far better then leaving the old one on.

Use the Amsoil flush with confidence. One former member here used to recommend that you double the idle speed (~2,000 miles) for the last 20 minutes. So you add the flush, let it idle for 5 minutes, then double the idle speed for the remaining time.

Originally Posted By: Vspec
Because depending on how long the filter has been installed how many miles are on it its already going to have a decent amount of contaminaton in it.

Using a new filter gives the flush to maximize its ability to capture as much as possible.

Same reason that the can of Amsoil recommends using a new filter, and that Auto-rx recommends using a new filter.

Some people go as far in RX treatments to change the filter half way through the rinse phase on sludge monsters.

---
Right off amsoils website about the product.
---
1) FLUSH: To quickly clean residual sludge and engine deposits, AMSOIL Engine Flush is recommended: Change the oil filter and add the flush (about 10% of the oil capacity). Do not overfill the crankcase. Idle the engine 15 to 20 minutes, then immediately drain the old oil and flush.

http://www.amsoil.com

They promote using a amsoil filter, but in reality using a new filter for the flush is far better then leaving the old one on.

That's hilarious. I flushed two of my vehicles and looked right over that piece of information right on the can.

So in all logic, it's not that the old filter won't catch the junk, it must be more so that we are afraid the filter may get plugged. Would you agree?

Agree, I wouldn't waste a high dollar filter for it.

I would use something cheap but not horrible. Maybe a Purolator something on sale, something that you know doesnt matter beacuse its gonna be on the car for oh...20 minutes?

It really depends I just imagine during the flush you wouldn't want the filter to go into bypass mode because it gets pluged.

Hence the new filter.

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
Use the Amsoil flush with confidence. One former member here used to recommend that you double the idle speed (~2,000 miles) for the last 20 minutes. So you add the flush, let it idle for 5 minutes, then double the idle speed for the remaining time.

Then you're talking 30 minutes of a semi-harsh cleaning chemical in your oil and in your engine. Time-wise thats pushing it for me and engine speed-wise as well.

I plan on ruing this flush Sat. I am going to use a new fl-1a filter and the mobil 1 that is in the truck now.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant

Then you're talking 30 minutes of a semi-harsh cleaning chemical in your oil and in your engine. Time-wise thats pushing it for me and engine speed-wise as well.

I think he meant you let it idle for the first 5 and then higher idle for the remaining of the 20 min which would be the last 15. Still only 20 min total.

It was the "last" comment that caught my attention. If it were 20 minutes total he wouldnt have used the word.

I'll spell it out in case my post was misinterpreted.

Add the flush.
Start the engine.
Idle for 5 minutes.
Adjust RPMs to twice the normal idle speed (~1,700-2,100 RPMs).
Allow it to idle for another 20 minutes at the adjusted speed.
Stop engine.
Change oil and filter.

The poster I mentioned, TeeDub/Tooslick, is trustworthy and never gave any bad advice to anyone. In Park or Neutral, the engine isn't under load, so the adjusted RPM would not theoretically promote higher wear. At least that is what I've gathered from the various posts on here from engine builders and engineers.

If you're still uncomfortable with that, just idle it for 30 minutes at normal speed. It is still rather effective there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back