Your RECENT experience with Hankook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of new tires for The Beast. I have a set of Cooper touring tires that have gone about 60,000 miles. The dry season is here, but they will need replacement before in gets wet in Southern California. The wet season will roll in around November to December 2011.

The Coopers gave great service, but I am thinking now of something less expensive. The local cooper dealer (Ray's OK Tires) is great, but I am now on a strict budget, as are a lot of folks around here.

Hankooks are available from Pep Boys, and back in 2004 posts on BITOG were very positive toward them. Is that still the case?

There is a Pep Boys near me and their service on stuff like batteries is very good as well. I think I will give these tires a try this time at bat.

So what do you think of them?

Their tires are either extremely good or extremely bad. I've had good experiences with their Ventus sports tires but their OEM tires are pure garbage.

I use their Ventus R-S3 tires as track/race tires. Just bought them last month. Very pleased with them, especially for what I paid.

A lot of people like their other sport tires for summer tires on DDs.

So to answer your question, I'd say that their sport stuff is good.

I have some 727s on my buick in 205/70/15. Ride good, good enough snow/wet traction. Wear like iron, squeal like piggies in modest corners.

This is probably just what you're looking for. Even the squealing can be handled by braking before rotaries.
lol.gif

My experience was bad. Two of the 4 tires wore out in 20_K and the aliegnment was rechecked and was fine. I had to waite 3 months for the dealer to get replacements as there were none in the country. So he had to put on two used tires to get me by till the new ones came in. This was last summer.

I had a set on my '04 Ram 1500, the Ventus AS RH07. Not sure if they make them for a car but I was happy with my set. Easy on the wallet but an excellent tire, quiet, resisted hydroplaning very well, very hard to break lose even when i was trying to.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My experience was bad. Two of the 4 tires wore out in 20_K and the aliegnment was rechecked and was fine. I had to waite 3 months for the dealer to get replacements as there were none in the country. So he had to put on two used tires to get me by till the new ones came in. This was last summer.

But you didn't rotate the tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: tig1

But you didn't rotate the tires.

You should of said "did you rotate the tires"? The answer would have been "yes". Also did you notice that the service from Hankook was terrible? A 3 month waite for the new tires because there were none in the US.

Last edited:
Here is what I wrote on the other Hankook thread:

I am on 2nd sets of Hankook Mileage Plus (not the v2 probably v1) on the Camry. They have 85K miles warranty. The first set last around 40K miles. This one is already thin to 3/32 at close to 30K and started to get noisy for about a year. So it does not last 85K miles as the warranty said. It was fairly cheap when I got it the first time for $68 installed at PepBoys. The 2nd set was prorated replacement a little bit more than 2 yrs ago. It is probably categorized as good cheap tires.

So don't expect it will last till the warranty mileage.

I am looking at more high end long wearing tires now to replace these so I don't have to pay for the install and balance again.

I am not sure how much you want to spend. If you have the money, get a Michelin or something at that level.

I love their winter I pikes,and I have the 727's on my other ride.
Need to check the wear ratings when comparing tires.
No tires seem to last to their warranty,but for $100 each,I can't complain.
I'd rather buy $100 tires every couple years than $200 tires.
Any tire can succumb to a puncture..I hate plugging a $200 tire.

Originally Posted By: SUPERGASHOG
I love their winter I pikes,and I have the 727's on my other ride.
Need to check the wear ratings when comparing tires.
No tires seem to last to their warranty,but for $100 each,I can't complain.
I'd rather buy $100 tires every couple years than $200 tires.
Any tire can succumb to a puncture..I hate plugging a $200 tire.

I agree with you!!!

The reason I bought Hankook was because it was only $68 installed. Unfortunately, they are not at that price point anymore at close to $100 not installed. I would not buy Hankook for $100 considering Michelin have a $70 rebate for their $100-$125 tires at this time. Now, the factors are different at different times. Also, the price of installation has gone up quite a bit.

We are talking about Sedan tires, right??? I would not pay $200 for Sedan tires. My suburban uses GY Silent Armor which was $175 tire and may be more than $200 tires now. My Dad's suburban used the same one and it lasted him 102K miles. GY is loosing $$$ on that tires.

I suppose the best way to compare tires is to normalize it to how long it actually last in terms of $/miles driven.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Here is what I wrote on the other Hankook thread:

I am on 2nd sets of Hankook Mileage Plus (not the v2 probably v1) on the Camry. They have 85K miles warranty. The first set last around 40K miles. This one is already thin to 3/32 at close to 30K and started to get noisy for about a year. So it does not last 85K miles as the warranty said. It was fairly cheap when I got it the first time for $68 installed at PepBoys. The 2nd set was prorated replacement a little bit more than 2 yrs ago. It is probably categorized as good cheap tires.

So don't expect it will last till the warranty mileage.

I am looking at more high end long wearing tires now to replace these so I don't have to pay for the install and balance again.

I am not sure how much you want to spend. If you have the money, get a Michelin or something at that level.

You had the same experience as I did. My Hankooks were supposed to be 80K tires. I paid and extra $60 for them vs Coopers because of the longer warranty. As I have noted 2 tires were down to the wear indicators at about 22K, then a 3 month waite for new ones. No more Hankooks for me.

In our circle of family/friends, we have 3 sets of (4) Optimo H727's. And thus far, we all love'em. But, they're still new to us.

They're on a...1)Honda CR-V, 2)Toyota Camry and 3)Mazda3. Three different vehicle types to say the least...1)Mini AWD SUV, 2)4 dr.Sedan w/a nice ride and 3)sporty car w/tight handling. All three vehicles are piling on the miles and good comments abound.

Cristobal

How about driving the 10 & the 605 to Cerritos and getting a set of tires from onlinetires.com (avoid shipping charges). Either they'll have recommended installers or get them mounted & balanced at WalMart. If there are cheaper prices, pls let us all know.

Nah, there is no room. I will have them installed right where I buy them. Sometimes I head down that way to go to Amaheim or Huntington Beach though. I still drop in at Warner's right close to Westminster Ave. and Beach Blvd. now and then, or La Palma Chicken Pies in Anaheim.

I got a print out of low price from onlinetires.com with free local pickup, showed it to America Tires and they match it. But their installation/balance was a few dollars more than Walmart.

A tire purchase really needs to be backed up by a good shop. If not, you'll be miserable if you get a bad tire or two as a shop like Pep Boys or Wal-Mart will be hard to get it rectified. They just don't put effort into filling their bays with good folks.

Discount carries Hankook, although you may have to get them to order the particular ones you want - but that's only a day or two wait time.

That's my opinion, based on a good bit of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back