Lots of options! 205/65/16

My wifes 2023 Camry hybrid with 23k miles is ready for tires....I do drive aggressively and rotate the tires as recommended. I have a slew of 70k-75k mile tires and would like help to pick one! I'll be using Discount Tire as they're local to me and offer a military discount. The convenience factor cannot be beat!

At this price point, am I splitting hairs? Will all these tires perform about the same?

$112 per: HANKOOK KINERGY ST H735205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 70k mile tire

$116 per: UNIROYAL TIGER PAW TOURING A/S DT205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 75k mile tire

$116 per: TOYO TIRE EXTENSA A/S II205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 75k mile tire

$117 per: FALKEN SINCERA SN250 A/SP 205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 75k mile tire

$117 per: KUMHO SOLUS TA51A205 /65 R16 95T SL BSW 75k mile tire

$118 per: SUMITO MOHTR ENHANCE LX2205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 75k mile tire

I really only think that the customer reviews on any tire will tell you more.
And too, depending on what your priorities are, which tire is best for you & your wife.
Do you want better ride/quiet, better mpg, better handling, better foul weather performance, what?

I really only think that the customer reviews on any tire will tell you more.
And too, depending on what your priorities are, which tire is best for you & your wife.
Do you want better ride/quiet, better mpg, better handling, better foul weather performance, what?

I suppose: tire mileage/duration of service would be my #1 factor, then #2 comfort/road noise, #3 adverse weather

Char Baby hit the nail on the head about customer reviews. Go to Tire Racks website and read the reviews on each of those tires and then make your choice.

The "reviews" on DT leave a lot to be desired. Maybe do a general google search and hit some YT and other reviews?

The Conti TrueContact Tour @$142 have an 80k tread life and were top rated for wet.

General Altimax RT45 has sale things going. If you get the "general tire credit card" you get $120 of a set of 4 (60 sale, 60 CC). which makes them $104/tire (plus all the install things).

High mileage user on Drive Accord (100k per year) was always using the Yokohama Avid Ascent GT that got great tests and reviews for noise, wet, overall handling and decent winter. He tried the LX but didn't like the wet performance.

From your list I know one person that has any experience with any of them. That is the Kinergy ST, He bought them for his in-laws car that sits in driveway 10 months per year so really no drive time. sorry

Maybe added criteria, is what are your wife's priorities? at 23k in one year that is pretty high mileage. Tire noise on long commutes sucks.

Not sure when next Conti sale is if you can wait. I opened the Continental credit card = $220 of a set of 4 TrueContact Tour for my sons Forte. Paid it of right away anyway.

Vredestein HiTrac also an option. After that the price jumps a bunch more to the Michelin CC, Defender 2, WeatherPeak, WRG4 etc

Glad they're still using sizes like that with real sidewalls in 2024 :D

Is winter/snow performance a consideration? If so, consider all-weather tires :unsure:

The Toyo Celsius Is $113 each.

Costco for the win. Other than that, take a look at the ratings charts on Tirerack.com. I find the color coded user ratings to be easy to understand and fairly accurate. With dark green being very good, and light green being a nice way of saying, not so good.

Bought a set of Toyo Extensa AS-IIs in 225/55r16 back in April of this year. About $130 each tire. Have 4500 miles on them. They were... interesting to break-in. They were horrible for the first 700 miles. However, they handle pretty nice now that they've been broken in. The only way that they can be described handling wise is that they are very natural. It has a very natural feeling throughout varying uses. Haven't seen any mild snow yet, but I expect these to not do that well. Wet is ok. Had a little moment with these things hydroplaning on a flat road at 70. To be fair, the radar returns for that storm were above 75dbz with small and minimal hail. Ride is soft and precise until you hit bad potholes then it becomes pretty stiff. Noise is interesting. It is quiet until you hit a concrete bridge. The tire roars loudly on concrete at highway speeds. It is a similar noise and intensity to what the OE Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s produced. The best part of these tires is the rolling resistance. On a trip back in May, the 04' got better MPG than the epa rating, and that was with some hills and pulls to redline on a hot day. To end this, I'll say that these tires are like a modern version of the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4.
Here is my little review of the Toyo's. They are nice once broken in and get better. There are probably better choices in that list though. Heard good things about the Falken SN-250s.

I have the Kinergy GT, which is similar to ST, but a cheaper OEM tire.

They are very light so they are good for fuel economy and acceleration.

The wet grip and noise is about average, however I don't think any of the tires in the OP are better.

From the list I would go with Hankook, all the tires are very similar and thats the best manufacturer IMO. I think the Hankook ST are made in USA as well, if that matters to you.

My pick out of this grouping would be the Kumho Solus TA51a. I pick this because it has above average wet braking performance, a rim protector designed sidewall, and it's the most attractive of the group.

Brand name and wet braking are the two most important attributes I use when selecting a tire and the Kumho does well in this regard.

I went a different direction due to a new promotion. I went with a 90k Hankook Kinergy tire through Discount Tire. They price matched @ $122 per, $80 mail-in manufacture rebate, and 5% off for military. I'm looking at about $450 OTD for a 90k mile warrantied tire. They will provide free rotations very 5k and prorate if I don't make the mileage. I feel like that's a more than fair price for my wife's vehicle.

HANKOOK KINERGY PT H737205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW

I went a different direction due to a new promotion. I went with a 90k Hankook Kinergy tire through Discount Tire. They price matched @ $122 per, $80 mail-in manufacture rebate, and 5% off for military. I'm looking at about $450 OTD for a 90k mile warrantied tire. They will provide free rotations very 5k and prorate if I don't make the mileage. I feel like that's a more than fair price for my wife's vehicle.

HANKOOK KINERGY PT H737205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW
Make sure you provide some updates along the way for us please for noise, wet grip, dry grip, impacts like pothole fixes, winter.

You’re right about splitting hairs. They are all about the same price so pick the one you like best. If it was me, I would roll w the tiger paws. Kumho performed fine on my daily driver commuter cars, not a fan of falken or Summis, only had experience w Toyo all terrains and they were fine

My wifes 2023 Camry hybrid with 23k miles is ready for tires....I do drive aggressively and rotate the tires as recommended. I have a slew of 70k-75k mile tires and would like help to pick one! I'll be using Discount Tire as they're local to me and offer a military discount. The convenience factor cannot be beat!

At this price point, am I splitting hairs? Will all these tires perform about the same?

$112 per: HANKOOK KINERGY ST H735205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 70k mile tire

$116 per: UNIROYAL TIGER PAW TOURING A/S DT205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 75k mile tire

$116 per: TOYO TIRE EXTENSA A/S II205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 75k mile tire

$117 per: FALKEN SINCERA SN250 A/SP 205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 75k mile tire

$117 per: KUMHO SOLUS TA51A205 /65 R16 95T SL BSW 75k mile tire

$118 per: SUMITO MOHTR ENHANCE LX2205 /65 R16 95H SL BSW 75k mile tire
What tire brand is on the car now? If Michelin, then DT will pro rate the treadwear on a new set of Michelins. You'll have new Michelin tires for less money.

Back