Another article about vehicles sending data to their insurance company via Lexus Nexus

Alexa isnt in my house, Ring isnt in my house, Onstar or any kind of telemetry is in my vehicles aside from GPS. Being in IT if you think companies care about your data privacy even with promises or agreements, those are nice rose colored glasses.
Absolutely, 110%. This will also grow exponentionally when the Semtec LoRa technology continues to roll out.

You can read more about that here; https://www.semtech.com/lora

Touchscreens were never safer or better, manufacturers tried to convince consumers they needed them and were better because they are far cheaper to make, so it boosts their profits.

If you are involved in an accident, can the information on your driving at the time and sent to your insurance company (or whomever) be discoverable and used against you?
Depending on the severity of the crash, the insurance company or companies involved might hire third-party investigators or send their own experts to collect data from the vehicles involved. This data usually comes from the ECM (Engine Control Module) and BCM (Body Control Module), which record every minute detail before, during, and after the crash, such as throttle position, steering angle, and other variables that the vehicle's computers track continuously. If the investigation reaches this depth, efforts will be made to reconstruct the crash using this data. This process aims to determine fault by meticulously analyzing the sequence of events leading to the accident.

The telematics data you're referring to is crucial during settlement negotiations or, if it comes to it, during a trial. The intention is to shed either a positive or negative light on each driver's actions, depending on the objectives of the parties involved.

The future....all your driving monitored. Insurance will use this as an excuse to set your premium [always higher]. Traffic infractions will automatically be removed from your bank account. Older cars without a connection will be deemed a safety hazard and financially punished out of existence.
Be careful what you wish for…….lol

Yes who thought putting an ipad in the middle of the dash would be safer?
Well not just for infotainment, but the same applies to digital instrument clusters. I HATE them, and many new cars are using them because it is much cheaper to make. I work in tech, so these screens don't impress me like they might other people. To me it screams cheap. I appreciate an elegant dash with nice gauges way more.

A small center info screen like my E90 BMW has isn't too bad, it's enough to scan through and find certain functions not offered by the gauges without being overly intrusive, but my dad's 2020 Grand Cherokee seems like a video game in comparison.

Well not just for infotainment, but the same applies to digital instrument clusters. I HATE them, and many new cars are using them because it is much cheaper to make. I work in tech, so these screens don't impress me like they might other people. To me it screams cheap. I appreciate an elegant dash with nice gauges way more.

A small center info screen like my E90 BMW has isn't too bad, it's enough to scan through and find certain functions not offered by the gauges without being overly intrusive, but my dad's 2020 Grand Cherokee seems like a video game in comparison.
IMO Mazda's current approach is nice. A center multi-function display with gauges on the side.
1710342105591.jpg

I actually really like the digi cluster in my JL. The ability to configure almost any way you want is great. With tuners you can also change the splash screen, which I think is kinda cool although it serves absolutely no practical purpose.

The dash can also just be an interface for things like the Tazer, but if you had strictly analog gauges that's not an option.

Gotta love the tin foil deal all the time. By the way it is metal screen like you'd find on a window or door screen that will effectively block micro wave radio frequencys.

On star and all the rest, of the telematics systems out there? Just think with a high end scan tool you can control the door locks, and someone remotely can do the same with say On star.
Don't think for a minute that On star type systems can not do exactly what a high end or manufacture specific scan tool can do.
Yawn, now think of all the unintended acceleration issues of years gone by, tests?

The best cure for all the telematic snooping is an older car with out it. The new cars are likely so integrated with it that cutting the antenna would make them unusable.

For the ones that tin hat it and laugh it all off, I say enjoy your nice high insurance costs. 😍

Thats fantasy land. Corporations have legislation passed that protects/ provides immunity from liability. Corporations have legislation passed that provides barriers to entry from competition.

Remove the legislation that provides immunity to technology firms, that private individuals don't have, then come back and discuss buyer beware and terms and conditions.

If you truly believe what you post- you should be posting that technology companies should have their immunities for lawsuits and liabilities removed- that are afford thenm and not private individuals. Without that- the playing field is a stacked deck against the individual.
Section 230 has nothing to do with my response. Corporatism has nothing to do with my response.

I wonder if that's an AMG feature? Very cool !
There are 3 different IP displays; the other two are variations of the traditional pair of round gauges for the speedometer and tachometer. You can also select different smaller displays so you can set things up to suit your preferences.

If you are involved in an accident, can the information on your driving at the time and sent to your insurance company (or whomever) be discoverable and used against you?
Of course. That’s been going on for many years. Similar to the black box recorder in aircraft.

Haven’t cars had “black boxes” for sometime now? If the situation is dire enough I suspect they’ll grab those data regardless.

Reactions: GON
Back