Would you buy a house where a murder occurred ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only concerns are resale value and the cleanup. If the place has no trace of the murder and a future buyer would not be able to easily connect a murder to it then go for it. If you google the address, does the murder show up? If so either stay away or offer less because you will likely get less if you sell it. I don't see why people care though. I remember someone looking at houses in Japan. He could get a great price if the former owner had commited suicide because no one wanted to buy them. Just in his local search there were several properties like this.

Price might be right due to the history. If you're worried about supernatural stuff, ask to spend the night in the house before you sign.

I would like to see a bit of a break on the price, because it does limit marketability to some......But I would buy it, without hesitation, if it were what I wanted, otherwise.

The dead are not what worry me. They tend to be trouble free. Your troubles generally are more likely to be with those that still breath. Like the neighbors.

No problem. When you friend buys the house ask the Parrish priest to come and bless his new home. The Hassidic Jewish people usually cover the floors with Kosher Salt and have the Rabbi come and sanctify the house.

IMO....every home in my hood has had crime in the past since most of the homes at one time were abandoned and occupied by Skell's, transients packs of wild dogs and homeless drifters. There was all kinds of crime happening under the roofs of these dwellings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Natural death at home due to age or illness is much different than....

A murder with blood and crime scene investigation.

Exactly, it is a mental thing. I imagine hunters and farmers that kill, dress, process, and consume meat are much more comfortable about death and blood than are the majority of consumers that are disconnected from life. They buy their pork clean and packaged in plastic, oblivious of the the pig that was electronically stunned, then hung up and it's throat slit for the heart to pump out the blood.

Having said that (I'm a food gatherer), if the murder scene was one of "satanic", cult like origins, etc., I too would have to think about buying such a house due to the mental images.

Well put. It's basically my sentiments as well.

Depending on the state, disclosure of whether there was even a murder in the house isn't required or only if it happen within the last few years. Typically the rule is that the if the buyer doesn't ask, it doesn't have to be disclosed. Murders and the like aren't really considered physical defects of the house.

Most of the time when I look up a house that had a murder happen, it isn't even disclosed that anything happened as it's not required. The one time I did see a disclosure that a murder happened, I looked at the house and in the kitchen there was a cutout in the floor the size of a body where the victim bleed out. So people do buy them that either don't know or don't care. One good reason to google the address before buying a property, if anything interesting happened there, it'd probably show up.

If it was dirt cheap. But while it may not bother you, how about the next buyer?

There is a house near Albany where a family of 4 (Chinese with kids) were all murdered. Its on a major street. I wonder what will happen to it. They have not caught anyone.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If I liked the house and price was right, why not?

Ummm, ghosts...? Tormented souls...? The devil lurking...?

We had a mass murder just last week... 7 people murdered in same house. Not sure I'd buy that one...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/public-vigil-held-for-edmonton-mass-murder-victims-1.2182708#

Was this in Newark by any chance?
No, it was Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Remember the house in amityville
shocked2.gif

LOL 1st thing i thought of - i rewatched it recently, and read about it: what scam - the families that owned the house after the Lutzes NEVER reported anything abnormal and lived there happily.

And to OP: Yes, I would.

Also in all seriousness, to all you people that believe in ghosts and ghouls and such; would you ever use demonic possession or supernatural events to explain away oil sludging or viscosity breakdown?
Or do pixies and spirits just mess with houses and leave oil alone?

Just wondering what kind of advice will be coming down the line in the oil forums

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If it resulted in a lower price, buy it.

The way things are going, a murder site house might be the only property I'll ever be able to afford. I'm certainly not going to turn it down if I like the house otherwise.

As for supernatural events, well, there are plenty of cases where the ghost in residence is reported to be benign. If I woke up one dark night to find a misty face hanging over me, okay, that would be a deal killer. But if I merely glimpse said ghost at the turn of a stair or in the attic, and she doesn't scare the cats, no problem.

In the late Eighties I lived in one apartment where my cat would actually refuse to walk into the bathroom unless I was already in there, and would leave the moment I did. When I moved out, my landlord mentioned that the previous occupant had insisted on painting all the walls black, and had left black candle stubs everywhere. . . . But I had no premonitions or "sightings."

Look up 10 Rillington Place.

This was the location of one of the UK's most notorious serial killers
(the bodies were hidden in the house)

Unbelievably the rat hole of a house was used for decades after the case came to light.

Even today there are people that try to locate the place where the house once stood.

One murder would be OK But not that place!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
When we were moving to Florida from Pa. We looked at a lot of houses. One house had such a history. It was a suicide. The story was a rich fellow bought it for his daughter to live in. She got hooked up with a guy that was in to drugs and he ended up shooting himself in the living room. The daughter didn't want to live in the house moved back in with Dad and he just wanted to unload the house. It was a nice house in a secluded area. 5 acres of land and about 10,000 to 15,000 dollars cheaper than it should have cost. When we looked at the house, they never even cleaned up the mess. Seriously. The one wall was glass covered and had a shattered panel with the bullet hole in it and splattered with now black blood. The carpet had a big area about 2' by 2' that was all black. I am taking , where he fell and his head bled out. Pretty sick. I made a comment to the realtor and she said "Are you here to buy the house or gawk?". I wanted no part of that house. My wife didn't mind, she liked the house, said replace the rug, cover the wall, no big deal. I don't think I could deal with a house like that, every noise and every shadow would creep me out in the middle of the night. I often walk out to check a noise in the middle of the night with no lights, I would be a little creeped out in a house like that and not comfortable. They ended up selling it, but it was on the market a long time.

That sounds completely bizarre. Any realtor would have brought in a HAZMAT contractor to clean that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back