Game Warden - Checking out the neighbor's home

Weird incident last Tuesday (although nothing surprises me these days).

Had parked the Toyota across the street on Monday evening because I was expecting a medial supply shipment Tuesday morning and the delivery guy needed an unobstructed path to the front door. My wife and I were going to run errands after the delivery.

When getting into the car, there was an armed man in olive green shirt, pants and vest. Had shoulder patches but couldn't make them out. He was walking the sidewalk near the car. I'm on alert and keeping him in view. He was checking out the house on the corner, looking over the back yard side fence, walking around the front and checking the gates. As I pulled out and drove around the corner he was taking photos of the front of the house with his phone.

His truck was parked a house down from the corner and had worn out yellow lettering on the door, "Game Warden"; no other markings or anything that appeared official. No bar lights either. No other law enforcement was in the area.

Maybe a report of a wild animal? There was a bear roaming the neighborhood a few years ago. I wouldn't expect to see a game warden in a residential area.

What kind of game warden? A specific agency? California Fish & Wildlife have green vehicles with silver markings. They also have black vehicles with just "LAW ENFORCEMENT" on the side. I've heard of them doing all sorts of busts for illegal sale and/or possession of animal parts. But usually that would involve getting search warrant after an investigation and/or tips.

37875851862_e159140f24_b.jpg

Had parked the Toyota across the street on Monday evening because I was expecting a medial supply shipment Tuesday morning and the delivery guy needed an unobstructed path to the front door. My wife and I were going to run errands after the delivery.

When getting into the car, there was an armed man in olive green shirt, pants and vest. Had shoulder patches but couldn't make them out. He was walking the sidewalk near the car. I'm on alert and keeping him in view. He was checking out the house on the corner, looking over the back yard side fence, walking around the front and checking the gates. As I pulled out and drove around the corner he was taking photos of the front of the house with his phone.

His truck was parked a house down from the corner and had worn out yellow lettering on the door, "Game Warden"; no other markings or anything that appeared official. No bar lights either. No other law enforcement was in the area.

Maybe a report of a wild animal? There was a bear roaming the neighborhood a few years ago. I wouldn't expect to see a game warden in a residential area.
Maybe a poaching investigation. Taking a pic of the house may be for a pending search warrant. Warrants need particulars up and above an address. Taking a pic allows you to refer to the type (Colonial/Dutch etc.) along with color, number of floors etc. as you type out the warrant application.

What kind of game warden? A specific agency? California Fish & Wildlife have green vehicles with silver markings. They also have black vehicles with just "LAW ENFORCEMENT" on the side. I've heard of them doing all sorts of busts for illegal sale and/or possession of animal parts. But usually that would involve getting search warrant after an investigation and/or tips.

37875851862_e159140f24_b.jpg
What kind of game warden? Beats me. The truck looked like the one posted but only had "Game Warden" on the door. Nothing else.

What kind of game warden? Beats me. The truck looked like the one posted but only had "Game Warden" on the door. Nothing else.

So no agency markings? They almost have some sort of shield of some sort. As far as I know, the only legitimate game wardens operating in California would be California DFW or US Fish & Wildlife Service.

There are other agencies (National Park Service, Forest Service, BLM) that might be able to investigate poaching that originates in their jurisdiction, but I doubt they're called game wardens.

I don't know if your state is like Iowa but the game wardens here have far more power than the sheriffs department. They can enter your property for no reason.
That's the case in Ohio as well.

Neighbors poking their heads in to what is going on in their neighbors house/yard. Thankfully-I don't have many neighbors like this.

OR-it simply could have been a surplus truck someone bought at auction.

Then posting on a forum so others can pontificate on what they know nothing about.
Other than that.....have a nice day!

Last edited:
Game wardens have great powers that exceed that of most other law enforcement when it comes to search and seize. Should they catch you with poached fish or game they can and will confiscate not only your illegal game but also your car. They can enter your property without a warrant (open field doctrine) and check for poached this and that. They will get a warrant and look in your freezer, etc. The fine for one poached or out-of-season crab is now $600. I saw a warden catch a guy with 20 poached crabs. I see game wardens often near our beaches and in the parks. They watch people with binoculars from the parking lot, the dunes, and they use drones. There are not very many game wardens and it is an underpaid job.

I see them often and so few in my state and live in residential/urban against a bay so lots of deer, duck hunting beyond fishing.

The guys I see are on that show called North woods law.

Not having the open fields doctrine is one of the very few benefits of living in NYS.

The open fields doctrine is a massive error on the part of the Supreme Court. It should not be permitted under our constitution.

It's rooted in the days of Kings owning and controlling everything in their domain.

If a crime is suspected regarding wildlife, due process should be observed no differently than any other suspected crime.

We've got some pretty interesting laws around here. Especially the legal recreational collection of red abalone, which has to be a certain size and can only be captured without artificial breathing equipment (snorkel OK with pumped air is not). The limit is 3 per day and 24 per year. I've heard of people who were caught with dozens that would have been sold illegally to restaurants. I think I've even seen some illegally sold on the street. But it might be difficult to tell since there's also farmed abalone not subject to wild caught rules. They tend to be smaller than the minimum size for wild collected.

Dungeness crab can't legally be caught in San Francisco Bay and has to be tossed back. There's also a minimum size for rock and red crabs. I've heard of California DFW officers checking backpacks and finding that illegal catch was hidden. There is one thing though where a fishing license isn't needed on a public pier, although there are still limits and minimums. There's one public pier (the Pacifica Pier) on the Pacific ocean where Dungeness crab can be taken, but I've heard the regulars there can be really hostile to people they don't recognize. Kind of like locals in Hawaii with their favorite surf spots.

Creep!!

Missouri even has a robotic 10 point buck that can move it's head, pretend to eat and even has fake breath smoke.

It has been patch and repaired over and over after "hunters" blow off parts.

Back