Wife bought a Keurig

Keurig coffee with pods is vending machine coffee. No other way to put it.
Nope, good vending machines actually use fresh beans they grind right before make next cup of fresh coffee. And they make good coffee.
None in North America afaik. Malls in some other countries have them a few machines on a floor.

Coffee is a personal thing. If you’re married it’s one more thing you don’t agree on. Wife is a pod fan with a one cup Keurig. I prefer a daily grind with a hand grinder and a French press. No one wants to die on Coffee Hill.
I like super fresh beans, hand ground and brewed right away. Keurig can do this, and clearly some of the guys here just are not getting it.

Nope, good vending machines actually use fresh beans they grind right before make next cup of fresh coffee. And they make good coffee.
None in North America afaik. Malls in some other countries have them a few machines on a floor.
Microsoft has coffee machines like that in their corporate campuses. They actually make pretty great coffee.

Just no on pods.

Pods are always filled with stale coffee. (Same with canned coffee.) The reason for this is because freshly roasted coffee releases CO2 and other gases as it ages after being roasted. This is why higher end coffee comes packaged with one way valves in the sealed bags. If they didn't, then there is a risk that the bags would burst as the coffee degases. The fresher the roasted coffee, the more it degases. This means that packaged coffee in completely sealed containers like cans or pods must be "pre-staled" before it's sealed.
I think this is where Nespresso has its secret. And why anyone making Nespresso pods with plastic are ignorant at best.

Aluminum pods are under pressure. CO2. To say they are always filled with stale coffee is incorrect. And no way would plastic hold that pressure.

I can make a Nespresso with some pods an no way does that coffee taste stale and what nice crema. Others, even in aluminum does taste stale. Now those companies may be doing something like pre-aging, but that would just be stupid.

Back